Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:36:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Do you use emojis in text messages?

Started by Barry Admin, March 18, 2019, 03:28:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

touchingcloth

Quote from: bgmnts on March 18, 2019, 03:32:01 PM
Did they used to be called emoticons or is that something I made up?

As a child of the MSN Messenger era, I still doggedly refuse to call emoticons by the newfangled name people have given them.

AllisonSays

Thumbs up emoji is a good way of shutting your role in a conversation down, as someone else said. I use the man-doing-a-handstand one as a signifier of excitement and the winking one to emphasise unseriousness where that isn't textually obvious. When I was younger I was militantly anti-emoji but, like, language is always changing, what the hell, why not get involved.

St_Eddie

Quote from: AllisonSays on March 19, 2019, 08:25:37 AM
When I was younger I was militantly anti-emoji but, like, language is always changing, what the hell, why not get involved.

Changing?  More like devolving.  I say we all go back to baby talk.  Goo goo fucking gah gah.

bgmnts

Quote from: St_Eddie on March 19, 2019, 04:35:57 PM
Changing?  More like devolving.  I say we all go back to baby talk.  Goo goo fucking gah gah.

The Ancient Egyptians wrote with pictures and they did alright for themselves.

Chollis

Quote from: bgmnts on March 19, 2019, 04:58:38 PM
The Ancient Egyptians wrote with pictures and they did alright for themselves.

All dead now though aren't they

idunnosomename

Just noticed if you right-click in chrome it says "Emoji" and you can input them. ugh. I thought it was just a bad spellcheck suggestion

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

ToneLa

I bang them in from SwiftKey but only ironically

That's my excuse thus far anywho.

😊
🙏

touchingcloth

I don't actually know how to make them appear on my phone, more for lack of arsed than being inept with phones. I don't feel like my life is any the poorer for this fact.

My biggest beef with the little yellow cunts is that they can't be disabled. MSN used to turn ":)" into a picture of a face, but you could disable that so it just showed as ASCII. No such luck with the younger upstarts.

When you are typing in Windows 10, try hitting the Windows Key and a full stop at the same time.

I apologise for this. 😏

ToneLa

Thank god for that chrome feature, I've just been applying for civil service jobs within the prison system and needed the smilies to lighten my application up a bit! 😁

Cloud

Thought there'd be a few grumps about them here 🤣🤣🤣

I don't use SMS, but I use them on Messenger / Hangouts / Telegram.  Fite me.

momatt

Quote from: touchingcloth on March 19, 2019, 07:20:14 PM
I don't actually know how to make them appear on my phone, more for lack of arsed than being inept with phones. I don't feel like my life is any the poorer for this fact.
It is though, soz.

Quote from: touchingcloth on March 19, 2019, 07:20:14 PMMy biggest beef with the little yellow cunts is that they can't be disabled.
Wrong, there are some nice wheelchair guys on there now:

https://metro.co.uk/2018/03/26/no-dont-use-apples-new-disabled-emojis-make-sexual-innuendos-7417784/

touchingcloth

Bazooka

In the UK no, but in China its very rare to get a string of messages without one, so it has become second nature to use them. I frequently exchange messages with the parents of the children I teach so saying "Kid A (great album) has been pushing and hitting, but great hand writing" can be softened with a 'eyes closed and pleasant smile' face.

McFlymo

touchingcloth

You're kid 👶has been 🚮pushing 🚲🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿and hitting 🔨🤦👊🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
🤯🐙🤭😱Good 🇬🇷8️ hand 🙌writing✒️🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿face to soften the blow 🥵⚣

📔 📕 📖 📗 📘 📙 📚 📓 📒 📃 📜 📄 📰 🗞️ 📑 🔖 🏷️🔋 🔌 💻 🖥️ 🖨️ ⌨️ 🖱️ 🖲️ 💽 💾 💿 📀 🧮🎥 🎞️ 📽️ 🎬 📺 📷 📸 📹 📼 🔍 🔎 🔬 🔭 📡 🕯️ 💡 🔦 🏮🔒 🔓 🔏 🔐 🔑 🗝️✉️ 📧 📨 📩 📤 📥 📦 📫 📪 📬 📭 📮 🗳️💉 💊💰 💴 💵 💶 💷 💸 💳 💹 💱 💲 🧾🎼 🎵 🎶 🎙️ 🎚️ 🎛️ 🎤 🎧 📻🎷 🎸 🎹 🎺 🎻 🥁💼 📁 📂 🗂️ 📅 📆 🗒️ 🗓️ 📇 📈 📉 📊 📋 📌 📍 📎 🖇️ 📏 📐 ✂️ 🗃️ 🗄️ 🗑️🚬 ⚰️ ⚱️ 🗿 🛢️ 🔮 🛒📱 📲 ☎️ 📞 📟 📠🔇 🔈 🔉 🔊 📢 📣 📯 🔔 🔨 ⛏️ ⚒️ 🛠️ 🗡️ ⚔️ 🔫 🏹 🛡️ 🔧 🔩 ⚙️ 🗜️ ⚗️ ⚖️ 🔗 ⛓️ 🧲 🧬✏️ ✒️ 🖋️ 🖊️ 🖌️ 🖍️ 📝
                                  🍱 🍘 🍙 🍚 🍛 🍜 🍝 🍠 🍢 🍣 🍤 🍥 🍡 🥟 🥠 🥡 🥮🍽️ 🍴 🥄 🔪 🏺 🥢🍼 🥛 ☕ 🍵 🍶 🍾 🍷 🍸 🍹 🍺 🍻 🥂 🥃 🥤🍇 🍈 🍉 🍊 🍋 🍌 🍍 🍎 🍏 🍐 🍑 🍒 🍓 🥝 🍅 🥥 🥭🍞 🥐 🥖 🥞 🧀 🍖 🍗 🥓 🍔 🍟 🍕 🌭 🌮 🌯 🥙 🥚 🍳 🥘 🍲 🥗 🍿 🥨 🥩 🥪 🥣 🥫 🥯 🧂🍦 🍧 🍨 🍩 🍪 🎂 🍰 🍫 🍬 🍭 🍮 🍯 🧁 🍆 🥔 🥕 🌽 🌶️ 🥒 🍄 🥜 🌰 🥦 🥬
                                                                        🏟️ 🏛️ 🏗️ 🏘️ 🏙️ 🏚️ 🏠 🏡 🏢 🏣 🏤 🏥 🏦 🏨 🏩 🏪 🏫 🏬 🏭 🏯 🏰 💒 🗼 🗽 🧱🏔️ ⛰️ 🌋 🗻 🏕️ 🏖️ 🏜️ 🏝️ 🏞️🛎️ 🚪 🛏️ 🛋️ 🚽 🚿 🛁 🧳 🧹 🧺 🧻 🧼 🧽🌍 🌎 🌏 🌐 🗺️ 🗾 🧭⛲ ⛺ 🌁 🌃 🌄 🌅 🌆 🌌 🎠 🎡 🎢 💈 🎪 🎭 🖼️ 🎨 🎰 🌇 🌉 ♨️⛪ 🕌 🕍 ⛩️ 🕋🌑 🌒 🌓 🌔 🌕 🌖 🌗 🌘 🌙 🌚 🌛 🌜 🌡️ ☀️ 🌝 🌞 ⭐ 🌟 🌠 ☁️ ⛅ ⛈️ 🌤️ 🌥️ 🌦️ 🌧️ 🌨️ 🌩️ 🌪️ 🌫️ 🌬️ 🌀 🌈 🌂 ☂️ ☔ ⛱️ ⚡ ❄️ ☃️ ⛄ ☄️ 🔥 💧 🌊⌛ ⏳ ⌚ ⏰ ⏱️ ⏲️ 🕰️ 🕛 🕧 🕐 🕜 🕑 🕝 🕒 🕞 🕓 🕟 🕔 🕠 🕕 🕡 🕖 🕢 🕗 🕣 🕘 🕤 🕙 🕥 🕚 🕦✈️ 🛩️ 🛫 🛬 💺 🚁 🚟 🚠 🚡 🛰️ 🚀 🛸🚂 🚃 🚄 🚅 🚆 🚇 🚈 🚉 🚊 🚝 🚞 🚋 🚌 🚍 🚎 🚐 🚑 🚒 🚓 🚔 🚕 🚖 🚗 🚘 🚙 🚚 🚛 🚜 🚲 🛴 🛵 🚏 🛣️ 🛤️ ⛽ 🚨 🚥 🚦 🚧 🛑 🛹⚓ ⛵ 🛶 🚤 🛳️ ⛴️ 🛥️ 🚢

Barry Admin

👊Hit or miss 😵 I guess they never 🚫miss😉huh🤔 you got a 😍boyfriend🙆🏽‍♂️ I bet he doesn't😚 kiss ya! 💋mwah💋 he gon find🧐 another girl 💁🏼‍♀️and he won't 😌miss ya! 🤷🏽‍♂️He gon skrrt🤠 and 👋 hit the 😁 dab 😎like wiz khalifa! 😈

José

Quote from: Barry Admin on March 21, 2019, 03:18:14 AM
👊Hit or miss 😵 I guess they never 🚫miss😉huh🤔 you got a 😍boyfriend🙆🏽‍♂️ I bet he doesn't😚 kiss ya! 💋mwah💋 he gon find🧐 another girl 💁🏼‍♀️and he won't 😌miss ya! 🤷🏽‍♂️He gon skrrt🤠 and 👋 hit the 😁 dab 😎like wiz khalifa! 😈

Só eu e o meu 💕paizinho💕 a brincar eu fiquei com fome🍆 então comecei a fazer beicinho 😞 Ele perguntou se eu queria uma coisa deliciosa 😍🍆 e eu perguntei o que era e ele disse que eram 💦meitinhas!💦 Sim! Sim!💕💦 Eu bebo-as!💦 Eu sorvo-as!💦 Engulo-as todas💦 😍 O meu 💘paizinho💘 fica 😊contente😊 e é tudo o que eu quero...💕💦😫 Mais de força! Mais de força! 😫💦💕 1 meitinha💦, 2 meitinhas💦💦, 3 meitinhas💦💦💦, 4💦💦💦💦 Eu sou a 👑princesa👑 do meu 💘pai💘 mas também sou uma putinha! 💟 Ele deixa-me molhadinha💗! Ele deixa-me contente💜! 💘💘💘Ele faz com que eu me sinta uma pequenina indecente!~ 💘💘💘 👑💦💘O-O que?!💘💦👑

(portugeuse because i dont speak it and the original makes me irrationally angry)

touchingcloth

QuoteOnly me and my "dad" playing I got hungry "so I started to pout" He asked if I wanted something delicious "and I asked what it was and he said it was" little "! Yes! 💕💦 I drink them! 💦 I sip them! 💦 I swallow them all 😍 My 💘 father 💘 is 😊 happy 😊 and that's all I want ... 💕💦😫 More strength! More strength! 😫💦💕 1 meitinha💦, 2 meitinhas💦💦, 3 meitinhas💦💦💦, 4💦💦💦💦 I'm the 👑princesa👑 of my 💘pai💘 but I'm also a bitch! He lets me wet! He makes me happy! He makes me feel like an indecent little one! ~ 💘💘💘 👑💦💘O-What ?!

Beautiful South?

I did a whole mad art project using em. Quite like them.

Obviously not a text message but i do use them in messages. I actually think they're an interesting phenomena. Pictographic language innit, old as fuck mate. I could bore people with convoluted theories about the semiotic importance of emojis but I have to go to work. Maybe one night when I'm pissed.

touchingcloth

Quote from: José on March 21, 2019, 09:01:43 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxVDnpsGTZY

dont click unless your monitor's warranty covers punching damage

So kawaii emoji kawaii face.

I haven't punched my monitor as I watched on a phone, but I did just track her down and murder her viciously. Do the Prudential still provide the best cover for that?

momatt

Quote from: touchingcloth on March 20, 2019, 07:10:36 PM
Aye, straight white wheelchair guys I bet.

I'm sure they come in a wide range of colours, like all the other emojis.
The all-inclusive way they've been done is really lovely, but they're making a rod for their own back, trying include every possible combinations of race, gender, hair colour etc.

idunnosomename

:-------------------------------------------------D

Cloud

Use whatever emoji you like but

DON'T 👏 DO 👏 THIS 👏 IT'S 👏 REALLY 👏 ARROGANT

touchingcloth

Quote from: Cloud on March 21, 2019, 03:11:34 PM
Use whatever emoji you like but

DON'T 👏 DO 👏 THIS 👏 IT'S 👏 REALLY 👏 ARROGANT

What is it?

Cloud

Clap emoji in between words in capitals.  People do it on social media a lot when they're trying to make a point (often political) really loudly as if they're doing a clap between words in person

MODERN DAY INTERNET EQUIVALENT OF DOING THIS IN 48PT
Quote from: touchingcloth on March 21, 2019, 03:21:53 PM
What is it?

I've never seen one before, no one has, but I'm guessing it's a white hole.

VaginaSimpson

Yes because they're sometimes very funny and it's nice to have something visual to break up the essays I write via sms. I cannot write a brief text but at least im nt txtn lk I did wn i ws por.