Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,475
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 03:39:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Do you use emojis in text messages?

Started by Barry Admin, March 18, 2019, 03:28:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

touchingcloth

On our Slack at work, there's a channel of grammar nazis who are turned off by many of the same things that a lot of posters here are - overuse of emojis, forced corporate chumminess, twee in just about all its forms. One thing I find weird is that about 25% of posters there never capitalise anything - neither the starts of sentences, nor proper nouns, not acronyms. Is this something anyone else has experienced? I find it odd amongst a group of people who are all happy to criticise errant apostrophe's wherever they see them.

By the way, I wrote the word "apostrophes" up there, but because I was talking about grammar I done a subverting by using an unnecessary apostrophe in the word itself. Please feel free to use this joke for yourself should the chance ever arise.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Foggy Buntwhistle on March 21, 2019, 08:48:55 AM
I did a whole mad art project using em. Quite like them.

Hieronymus Bosch's long lost art recovered.  Style is branded as "controversial".  More at seven.

zomgmouse

Quote from: touchingcloth on March 21, 2019, 09:11:00 PM
On our Slack at work, there's a channel of grammar nazis who are turned off by many of the same things that a lot of posters here are - overuse of emojis, forced corporate chumminess, twee in just about all its forms. One thing I find weird is that about 25% of posters there never capitalise anything - neither the starts of sentences, nor proper nouns, not acronyms. Is this something anyone else has experienced? I find it odd amongst a group of people who are all happy to criticise errant apostrophe's wherever they see them.

By the way, I wrote the word "apostrophes" up there, but because I was talking about grammar I done a subverting by using an unnecessary apostrophe in the word itself. Please feel free to use this joke for yourself should the chance ever arise.

writing in lowercase is pretty common, especially if you're typing on a computer and can't be arsed with the shift key. also something something stylistically

it's the revolution really. or are you some kind of filthy CAPITAList

touchingcloth

Jockice

Never. Not even once. I may not have many principles but that's one of them.

Blumf

Scott Walker, dead...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-47691705
QuoteActor and writer Mark Gatiss responded to Yorke's post with a plaintive "No!!" and a pensive face emoji.

Lauren Laverne replied with a crying sad face.

Barry Admin

Jesus has returned, the son of God walks among us again! 😇👌🏻🎉 😎

Shit, he's actually done it, the crazy bastard has actually launched the nukes 🤦‍♀️ 🙄

imitationleather

Barry Admin

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: Foggy Buntwhistle on March 21, 2019, 08:48:55 AM
I did a whole mad art project using em. Quite like them.

I like this, this is good.

canadagoose

alan nagsworth

My dad is a proper keyboard warrior on Facebook and whenever he posts something about the plight of an animal or how much Donald Trump is shagging the world he mistakenly uses the 😪 emoji which is the poorly/snotty nose emoji, not the sad/crying one. Either that or he's really allergic to bad news.

If you want to see emoji overkill you should check out Cher's twitter. She's fuckin mad for it.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: alan nagsworth on March 25, 2019, 05:51:52 PM
he mistakenly uses the 😪 emoji which is the poorly/snotty nose emoji

It's sleepy you neanderthal.

St_Eddie

Noonling

I use 😄 obsessively, pretty much every message. It annoys the heck out of me but my messages come across as a bit too depressing otherwise.

Otherwise I occasionally use thumbs up, hearts or 👉😺 when I can't be bothered to type a whole message.

touchingcloth

🥇 they came for ✡️ and 👁️ 🙊 because 👁️ was ➰ ✡️

🥈they came for ☭ and 👁️ 🙊 because 👁️ was ➰ ☭

🥉they came for 👨 and there was no one  left to 🗣️ for 👨. 😶😥😪😢😿😭😂

St_Eddie

Quote from: touchingcloth on March 25, 2019, 11:52:34 PM
🥇 they came for ✡️ and 👁️ 🙊 because 👁️ was ➰ ✡️

🥈they came for ☭ and 👁️ 🙊 because 👁️ was ➰ ☭

🥉they came for 👨 and there was no one  left to 🗣️ for 👨. 😶😥😪😢😿😭😂

Move over, Shakespeare.  There's a new wordsmith in town.  Better haircut too.

Twed

I was looking at my "most used" Slack emoticons. At least four of them raise "would it be racially insensitive to use this?" questions:

In my defense the OK hand sign one must have been from many years ago. I think I probably chose it instead of a big white thumbs-up.

The second thumbs-up in that list cycles between ALL OF THE SKIN COLOURS in an animation. I'm not sure if that's more or less racist.

It's the smiley line-up of Jeremy Clarkson and I am going to voluntarily admit myself to a local prison.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: zomgmouse on March 22, 2019, 11:25:02 PM
writing in lowercase is pretty common, especially if you're typing on a computer and can't be arsed with the shift key. also something something stylistically

I've done it for as long as I can remember, except for proper nouns & the personal pronoun. I firmly believe a capital letter to be redundant at the start of a sentence, because you've got a full-stop there doing the job of demarcating the sentences already. also I am a complete twat for apostrophes being used correctly, after it was pointed out to me that it's & its are the correct forms for the abbreviation of it is & the possessive respectively.

I use emojis & emoticons all the time because there's no body-language in writing, & thank fuck we have some way of indicating levity or irony or whatever.

a duncandisorderly

& btw, slack can get to fuck. it's how our managers & projects team at work communicate, & it cuts a lot of us out of conversations that normally we'd be copied in on if they were emailed. if I happen to have a text-based skype convo with another support engineer out-of-hours, I copy/paste the archived text into our log & email it to everyone else. but these fuckers.... they expect everyone to know what's going on, system-wide, by just inhaling the air in the office.

Love ❤️ starts with a smile 😀, grows with a kiss 😘, and ends with a tear😥.
Don't cry 😫 over anyone who won't cry 😫 over you.

Yes, but only in an entirely stupid way.  e.g. "Let's meet at the book keepers on New Dover Road at 14.30 🦀☎️🎱🚵‍♀️🤨🤬🥑🛵🤪"
I am coming to realise that people might in fact find this extremely irritating.

Sony Walkman Prophecies

Love them. Particularly fond of WeChat as their emojis (or 'stickers', as they call them) are almost like self-contained little narratives. All hail emojis.

Bazooka

Quote from: Sony Walkman Prophecies on March 05, 2020, 06:35:18 PM
Love them. Particularly fond of WeChat as their emojis (or 'stickers', as they call them) are almost like self-contained little narratives. All hail emojis.

I frequently use the bloody cleaver in WeChat, regardless of context.

Sony Walkman Prophecies

I'm a fan of the monkeys myself. Great bunch of chaps.

ToneLa

Sometimes my text messages don't even contain text