Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:39:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Corbyn 23: Hail Discorbia

Started by Blue Jam, March 18, 2019, 04:03:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idunnosomename

Worth pointing out Phillips is still using the image from her Times puff piece as her Twitter picture

Buelligan

I saw.  It really says something about the state of her ego, her ideas of what's important, that.

Looking like someone pretending to be an amazing person from Coffee Friends in her sad Jimmy Fucking Choos.  I hope she twists her fucking ankle and breaks a nail.  Twat,

gib

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on June 08, 2019, 08:10:42 AM
Ha the Guardian has gone full Daily Mail. State of its headline.  Desperate stuff really.

Corbyn wants to scrap social mobility........by improving social mobility for everyone.

What's the headline?

greencalx

Quote from: gib on June 08, 2019, 10:05:54 AM
What's the headline?

It currently says "Corbyn to drop social mobility as Labour goal in favour of opportunity for all"

but earlier I'm fairly sure it was just "Corbyn to drop social mobility as Labour goa" to make it sound as objectionable as possible.

holyzombiejesus

Here's the article. Don't see how there's anything negative in there.

QuoteCorbyn to drop social mobility as Labour goal in favour of opportunity for all
Party leader says idea has failed and calls instead for social justice commission

Jeremy Corbyn is dropping the idea of social mobility as a goal for the next Labour government, saying he would instead create a "social justice commission" with the power to audit policy.

In a shift being billed by Labour strategists as the rejection of 40 years of political consensus, Corbyn will say on Saturday that pursuing social mobility "has failed, even on its own terms".

Speaking at a Labour education event in Birmingham, the party leader will promise to replace the idea that the brightest, most talented young people must have the opportunity to succeed, with a demand that all children be allowed to flourish.

"For decades we've been told that inequality doesn't matter because the education system will allow talented and hard-working people to succeed whatever their background. But the greater inequality has become, the more entrenched it has become," he is expected to say.

"The idea that only a few talented or lucky people deserve to escape the disadvantage they were born into, leaving in place a social hierarchy in which millions are consigned to the scrap heap, results in the talents of millions of children being squandered."

Labour would replace the social mobility commission, which is chaired by Dame Martina Milburn, with a social justice commission, the party said.

The watchdog would publish "social justice impact assessments" of government policies – including green papers, white papers and legislation. It would also publish advice to ministers about how best to pursue social justice.

Corbyn's move is the latest evidence of his team's determination to reshape Labour – and underlines his belief that the Tony Blair and Gordon Brown governments did not do enough to shake up the economic system.

Enhancing social mobility has been the aim of governments on both sides of the political divide. Blair's close ally Peter Mandelson memorably said he was "intensely relaxed about people getting filthy rich as long as they pay their taxes" – though he has since admitted he has become more concerned about inequality.

Labour is keen to show that its thinking has developed since Corbyn and his advisers drew up the 2017 general election manifesto.

Theresa May made it her goal shortly after becoming prime minister to create a "great meritocracy" in Britain, not least by expanding grammar schools – a policy that was quietly dropped after the Tories lost their majority in 2017.

At the Birmingham event the shadow education secretary, Angela Rayner, is expected to say: "Focusing only on a lucky few leaves inequality entrenched and those from disadvantaged backgrounds with few opportunities to get on. That was the damning verdict of the government's own social mobility commission, which Tory ministers have shamefully ignored."

She will embrace the legacy of past Labour governments, saying: "The Tories like to talk about people like me who had a difficult start but got on in life as evidence that anyone can succeed on their own. But actually my life shows the exact opposite. Any success I have had is thanks to Labour governments that provided the council house, minimum wage, tax credits and Sure Start children's centre that enabled me to achieve it. That is social justice."

The social mobility commission was set up by David Cameron's coalition government. Its most recent report found that inequality is "now entrenched from birth to work", with social mobility stagnating "at virtually all life stages" over the past five years.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: greencalx on June 08, 2019, 10:08:31 AM
It currently says "Corbyn to drop social mobility as Labour goal in favour of opportunity for all"

but earlier I'm fairly sure it was just "Corbyn to drop social mobility as Labour goa" to make it sound as objectionable as possible.

Yep it said that this morning, must of changed it as people pointed out how misleading it was.

Paul Calf

Corbs is both too commie and not commie enough. Classic third-rate propaganda.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on June 08, 2019, 10:45:59 AM
Here's the article. Don't see how there's anything negative in there.

Aside from the original misleading headline, I think I agree. I'm hoping enough people are aware of the origins of the term meritocracy and the failure of May to bring back grammar schools to see how social mobility is a sham. It's nice that the linking algorithm has put this 2011 Owen Jones article down the side too. It explains concisely why Labour are correct to do this.

I don't think we should worry too much about the 'shock horror' aspect either. I'm sure it was entirely expected. It's part of the game now wrt getting the message out there. I know I keep going on about it but The Scum's upload of Corbyn's speech at the anti-trump rally now has 54,482 views. That's nearly 4.5k more than since I mentioned it yesterday.

Johnny Yesno

Someone replying in that Jess Phillips twitter thread linked to a very interesting Buzzfeed article on the origins of THE SOROSIAN AGENDA.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/hnsgrassegger/george-soros-conspiracy-finkelstein-birnbaum-orban-netanyahu

The far right appear to understand the internet better than we on the left do. It certainly doesn't help having faux leftist idiot conspiracy cunts like biggy falling for their strategy hook, line and sinker and propagating their lies.

jobotic

Quote from: Paul Calf on June 08, 2019, 12:25:16 PM
Corbs is both too commie and not commie enough. Classic third-rate propaganda.

It's also a weak no-hoper but no one wants to risk a general election in case he wins it.

Sherman Krank

Quote from: greencalx on June 08, 2019, 10:08:31 AM

A click bait based race to the bottom is hard to say when you're drunk.

Buelligan

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on June 08, 2019, 03:01:55 PM
Someone replying in that Jess Phillips twitter thread linked to a very interesting Buzzfeed article on the origins of THE SOROSIAN AGENDA.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/hnsgrassegger/george-soros-conspiracy-finkelstein-birnbaum-orban-netanyahu

The far right appear to understand the internet better than we on the left do. It certainly doesn't help having faux leftist idiot conspiracy cunts like biggy falling for their strategy hook, line and sinker and propagating their lies.

Oh my lordy, Johnny, that is an absolute must read.  It's long but by god is it worth persevering with.  Thank you so much for bothering to link it.  Fucking hell.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on June 08, 2019, 03:01:55 PM

The far right appear to understand the internet better than we on the left do.

I'm not sure this is true. 'The internet' in this sense is really just 'people'. The far right values power above all else and that any method of obtaining it should be judged only on how successful it is in securing that power.

Buelligan

Yes.  Absolutely.

Quote from: the articleSome months after the meeting in Berlin, Birnbaum went to the Trump hotel in DC, where a friend, Trump's former campaign manager, Corey Lewandowski, was presenting his new book, Trump's Enemies. Kellyanne Conway dropped by. Caviar was being sold, $100 per ounce. Birnbaum chatted with the other guests and ordered a Moscow mule.

Had he changed his mind about the Soros campaign? Any regrets?

"Anti-Semitism is something eternal, indelible," said Birnbaum. "Our campaign did not make anyone anti-Semitic who wasn't before. Maybe we were just drawing a new target, not more. I would do it again."

Imagine if Corbyn tried that as an excuse, ever

pancreas

Quote from: Buelligan on June 08, 2019, 03:35:42 PM
Oh my lordy, Johnny, that is an absolute must read.  It's long but by god is it worth persevering with.  Thank you so much for bothering to link it.  Fucking hell.

+1. Who would have thought biggy would be such a willing soldier in Netanyahu's army?

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Paul Calf on June 08, 2019, 03:38:59 PM
I'm not sure this is true. 'The internet' in this sense is really just 'people'. The far right values power above all else and that any method of obtaining it should be judged only on how successful it is in securing that power.

I take your point and in many ways, all the internet has done is speed up processes that already existed. However, it has internationalised the word-of-mouth method of propagating information. It's also worth noting that the increased speed makes it easier to experiment and spot patterns in the flow of information. If you haven't read it yet, I would have a look at Dominic Cumming's blog on his running of the Vote Leave campaign. It's very revealing.

Also, kind of related, take a look at this:

My Video Went Viral. Here's Why: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHsa9DqmId8

I mean, it's not that difficult to guess, I suppose. I was keenly aware of why I clicked the video he refers to. I'm sure it's not beyond your ken either, but my point is that the alt-right have been doing this for yonks.

sponk

Quote from: idunnosomename on June 08, 2019, 08:40:45 AM
Worth pointing out Phillips is still using the image from her Times puff piece as her Twitter picture

The way she's sitting on that stool is so unconventional and carefree though, she's not like all the other politicians. JP for PM!

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: pancreas on June 08, 2019, 03:54:34 PM
+1. Who would have thought biggy would be such a willing soldier in Netanyahu's army?

Orbán's army, really.

Katie Hopkins finding common ground with Muslim anti-LGBT+ protesters. Waxy Lemon declaring he's a Zionist. The far right are organising internationally while we are distracted.

Buelligan

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on June 08, 2019, 03:57:54 PM
I take your point and in many ways, all the internet has done is speed up processes that already existed. However, it has internationalised the word-of-mouth method of propagating information. It's also worth noting that the increased speed makes it easier to experiment and spot patterns in the flow of information. If you haven't read it yet, I would have a look at Dominic Cumming's blog on his running of the Vote Leave campaign. It's very revealing.

Also, kind of related, take a look at this:

My Video Went Viral. Here's Why: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHsa9DqmId8

I mean, it's not that difficult to guess, I suppose. I was keenly aware of why I clicked the video he refers to. I'm sure it's not beyond your ken either, but my point is that the alt-right have been doing this for yonks.

I think one of the interesting things about humans is their desire to be privy to the new shit and to pretend they knew it all along when others tell them something. 

This often means that they don't check sources or question information - they like to be in the group and in the know and will pretend to be if they feel they aren't.  I wonder how many people, reading the article we're talking about will have even bothered to google the author (I did but I suspect I'm in a minority). 

Until people start learning to question more, cunts like Birnbaum, Finkelstein and their paymasters, will continue to twist reality and steer electorates, often to very dark places indeed (and seemingly, without any shame at all).

BlodwynPig

Quote from: greencalx on June 08, 2019, 07:25:18 AM
Is there anything else apart from that one misguided Facebook like?

If not then suspension would be utterly disproportionate.

Your post is even hyperbole. 'misguided' no. 'disproportionate' no. She has done NOTHING wrong.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Buelligan on June 08, 2019, 04:08:19 PM
I wonder how many people, reading the article we're talking about will have even bothered to google the author (I did but I suspect I'm in a minority).

Ha, guilty as charged. Turns out he's one of the journalists who investigated the Cambridge Analytica scandal. biggy won't like him, then.

jobotic

I expect this is all irrelevant nonsense. You all just hate the Hungarian working class.

Good article.

pancreas

More shit-stirring from the Cuntian.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jun/08/thornberry-may-face-reshuffle-after-labour-split-on-new-brexit-vote

If Thornberry really has been pissing people off, I'm sure it's nothing to do with Brexit and a second ref, since that's rife in Labour, and clearly Starmer has been resolutely in favour with no repercussions. I could certainly believe that they'd like to get Thornberry and Abbott to swap, but that might be more to do with Abbott than Thornberry. Yes, they've put RLB in at PMQs to test her mettle,
and very good she was too. But a 'humilitation' for Thornberry? Give me a break.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: pancreas on June 08, 2019, 11:44:56 PM

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jun/08/thornberry-may-face-reshuffle-after-labour-split-on-new-brexit-vote

If Thornberry really has been pissing people off, I'm sure it's nothing to do with Brexit and a second ref, since that's rife in Labour, and clearly Starmer has been resolutely in favour with no repercussions. I could certainly believe that they'd like to get Thornberry and Abbott to swap, but that might be more to do with Abbott than Thornberry. Yes, they've put RLB in at PMQs to test her mettle,
and very good she was too. But a 'humilitation' for Thornberry? Give me a break.

Yeah, it's bollocks, isn't it? Except maybe the bit about Watson. I bet the front bench would love to see the back of that troublemaker.

Edit: just watched RLB at PMQs. As you say, a good performance.

pancreas

greencalx

Quote from: pancreas on June 08, 2019, 11:44:56 PM

The Guardian has been lining Thornberry up for leader for a long time, so I guess they want to do everything they can to neutralise any competition. A friend of mine who is further to the left than me (in a good way) spoke disparagingly of Thornberry following her contribution at last year's World Transformed event that ran alongside the party conference. In fact the summary was "It was great until any bloody MPs turned up"

Johnny Yesno

I'm disappointed to hear that about Thornberry. I've liked her since she's been in the shadow cabinet. Surely, she's not cut from the same cloth as Watson (who my judgement was also woefully out on).

greencalx

My own personal opinion is that she's not a nutter but not not a nutter either. Not sure what that's based on - and I have to say I was suprised to hear this testament too, but I do trust my friend's judgement which is pretty sound on most things.

pancreas

I think she's been fantastic in her role and I think it has been perfect for her. She's got a strong moral compass and has no compunction about telling Trump or Mohammed Bin Salman to go fuck themselves. But I've yet to hear her express any seriously radical economic desires. My suspicion, based on nothing, is that she could be brow-beaten by the IFS et al. out of any manifesto commitments which would result in actual redistribution of wealth.

Kelvin

I see her as a good centrist*, in that she's not strongly aligned with Corbyn's left wing policies, but she is, as Panceas says, led more by conscience and a sense of loyalty to the membership than ego and self interest. I always found her fairly obnoxious and condescending under Miliband, but her public support for Corbyn and the fact she's good in an interview has warmed me to her. I think it's a mistake for the left to pin their hopes on her as a future leader, though. She might have some obvious leadership qualities, but I don't think she's interested in anything as relatively "radical" as Corbyn. She's just willing to support that direction, as it's what the members want - which is fine, and all we ask of Labour MPs.     

*No, not a "dead centrist", quiet at the back there