Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:39:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Corbyn 23: Hail Discorbia

Started by Blue Jam, March 18, 2019, 04:03:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny Yesno

king_tubby

Oh. She's saying knife crime is bad and that Corbyn should ban knife crime instead of SATs.

imitationleather

Cor. Knife crime isn't banned?!

Time to get STAB HAPPY.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: king_tubby on April 16, 2019, 10:49:54 PM
https://twitter.com/Siobhain_MP/status/1118201151390928896

Cheers.

Heh! Heh! Most of the replies are people wondering what the fuck she's on about.

Quote from: Muzakir Ahmed
‏ @MuzakirAhmed
Replying to @Siobhain_MP

alright mate, i'll start a petition to ban knife crime x

Twit 2

Good stuff from Corbyn on scrapping SATs. He's bang on. You will not find a single person who actually works in a school and knows the slightest bit what they're talking about advocating SATs. To wit, I noticed Nick Gibb spewing outright lies about it on C4 news earlier. Genuinely wanted to climb into the screen and belt him, the lying toxic piece of shit.

Johnny Yesno

honeychile

Here's the full speech to the NEU where Corbyn announces the scrapping of SATs, as well as saying they'll scrap the baseline early years testing the government is planning. It's a bit of a plodding and repetitious speech, delivery wasn't great. But there's some good stuff in the first half about getting the private sector out of state education, "getting the corporations off campus" and so on, besides the hair-raising policy announcement. It's important that Labour figures propagate the philosophy as well as the policies in speeches like this if we're going to make this a transformative and hegemonic social movement rather than just another instance of government changing hands.

There was some Tory cunt on the BBC or C4 in the last few weeks (might have been Nick Gibb, but i think it was someone else) who was defending the stress that kids face when taking exams. The argument being that it prepares them for all the times they'll have to deal with stress as adults. It's a positively psychopathic approach to human development. By the same logic, i wonder if that bloke should be killed so his kids can be prepared for grief later in life. The idea that the role of the government might actually be to reduce stress for adults? No, stress in adults will forever be a given, let's introduce it to kids so they get used to it, that won't have any damaging effects. If you needed any evidence of how the Tories view human beings as fodder in the service of a machine, rather than the economy and government as machines in the service of humans, it could hardly be crystallised more clearly.

Absolute cunts.

Absorb the anus burn

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: honeychile on April 16, 2019, 11:41:44 PM
There was some Tory cunt on the BBC or C4 in the last few weeks (might have been Nick Gibb, but i think it was someone else) who was defending the stress that kids face when taking exams. The argument being that it prepares them for all the times they'll have to deal with stress as adults. It's a positively psychopathic approach to human development. By the same logic, i wonder if that bloke should be killed so his kids can be prepared for grief later in life. The idea that the role of the government might actually be to reduce stress for adults? No, stress in adults will forever be a given, let's introduce it to kids so they get used to it, that won't have any damaging effects. If you needed any evidence of how the Tories view human beings as fodder in the service of a machine, rather than the economy and government as machines in the service of humans, it could hardly be crystallised more clearly.

'Building resilience' I believe the psychopaths call it.

Kelvin

Yeah, good post, honeychile. An astute analysis

Buelligan

Quote from: Twed on April 16, 2019, 10:05:38 PM
Not what I was expecting. I was imagining half of Shakespear's Sister.

She's half of the McDonagh sisters, her sister being Margaret, Baroness McDonagh, another useless wanker and plague on the party, given a life peerage by Blair in 2004.

Quote from: wikipediaIn 1998, McDonagh became Labour's first female general secretary, after serving as deputy general secretary the previous year. She was not always popular with the grassroots and parts of the Parliamentary Party due to her perceived 'control-freakery'. She was considered to have badly mishandled the party's London mayoral candidate selection process, which resulted in Ken Livingstone winning the election as an independent candidate, leaving the official Labour candidate Frank Dobson in third place, with subsequent disaffection amongst the party members. McDonagh later apologised for the mayoral electoral loss. Her organisational skills came to the fore however in the delivery of a second landslide victory at the 2001 general election. She was also criticised for accepting, without consultation, a £100,000 donation from Daily Express and adult magazine publisher Richard Desmond, and still counting as party members those in arrears of up to 15 months to delay news of declining membership emerging.

After stepping down from the position of General Secretary following the 2001 general election, McDonagh took a short Harvard University business course and became General Manager of Express Newspapers.

Twit 2

Quote from: Kelvin on April 16, 2019, 11:46:31 PM
Yeah, good post, honeychile. An astute analysis

Indeed. I didn't have the energy to type up my thoughts as eloquently as that, which is why I went for Nick Gibb must die, but you are spot on. I felt education was barely an issue in the press and in the electorate's minds during the last election but it should be front and centre, because the system is on its knees and it affects everyone.

Replies From View

honeychile

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on April 16, 2019, 11:45:56 PM

Fucking hell, i don't think you're wrong. Sure i recall that phrase being used!

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: honeychile on April 16, 2019, 11:41:44 PM
There was some Tory cunt on the BBC or C4 in the last few weeks (might have been Nick Gibb, but i think it was someone else) who was defending the stress that kids face when taking exams. The argument being that it prepares them for all the times they'll have to deal with stress as adults. It's a positively psychopathic approach to human development.

Absolute cunts.

I think that's very much along the lines of the ideology of what a lot of public schools like to push on pupils so it's no surprise a tory comes out with it.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on April 16, 2019, 11:45:56 PM

I'm going to a 2 day leadership course at Harvard tomorrow...was expecting this kind of bullshit, but reading the preparatory literature, it seems accepting (and learning from) failure (as we are starting to acknowledge in academia) is the new "profit profit profit" mantra for business. Corbyn's SAT policy is a good thing and a necessary thing.

pancreas

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 17, 2019, 12:48:49 AM
I'm going to a 2 day leadership course at Harvard tomorrow...was expecting this kind of bullshit, but reading the preparatory literature, it seems accepting (and learning from) failure (as we are starting to acknowledge in academia) is the new "profit profit profit" mantra for business. Corbyn's SAT policy is a good thing and a necessary thing.

It might be better to spend your time cultivating referees who actually write letters for you. Just saying.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: pancreas on April 17, 2019, 12:52:24 AM
It might be better to spend your time cultivating referees who actually write letters for you. Just saying.

Get on your pedestal and play a requiem for me.

pancreas

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 17, 2019, 01:17:32 AM
Get on your pedestal and play a requiem for me.

You are too long dead, mate. Requiems are for the recently deceased.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: pancreas on April 17, 2019, 01:33:06 AM
You are too long dead, mate. Requiems are for the recently deceased.

That'll come back to haunt you. That = I

pancreas

How was your trip to RI, btw?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: pancreas on April 17, 2019, 01:46:38 AM
How was your trip to RI, btw?

Stunning. Absolutely loved Providence. Quirky (from the weird looking young guy leering at me and seemingly wanking into the urinal "come on, come on!" in the mall toilets, to the surrealist art in the diner where I had breakfast) and quaint. Will post some Lovecraft related pictures in the Lovecraft thread.

How was the organ playing?

idunnosomename

If you went to Providence Mall I hope you paid tribute at the escalator the guitarist from Anal Cunt fell off the other year by screaming "YOU FELL OFF THE ESCALATOR AND DIED BECAUSE YOU'RE A STUPID CUNT"

greencalx

Another +1 for honeychile's post up there.

panc and Blod can get a room, though.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: idunnosomename on April 17, 2019, 09:27:16 AM
If you went to Providence Mall I hope you paid tribute at the escalator the guitarist from Anal Cunt fell off the other year by screaming "YOU FELL OFF THE ESCALATOR AND DIED BECAUSE YOU'RE A STUPID CUNT"

Ha! Jesus yes. It must have been the very narrow one that i thought i may fall down. Perhaps his ghost was guiding me. Guided by the Ghost of an Anal Cunt

Blinder Data

No discussion on Richard Burgon? He should probably be sacked but I guess it's not normal times. I wish circumstances were different and that Shadow Cabinet members weren't unimpressive on the whole.

Also I know I'm shouting in the wind with this one but I think comments like this

QuoteShe's half of the McDonagh sisters, her sister being Margaret, Baroness McDonagh, another useless wanker and plague on the party, given a life peerage by Blair in 2004.

are unhelpful. I imagine I'm in the exception but I don't think slagging off all past achievements/personalities if they belong to the New Labour era is good in the long term.

Siobhan McDonagh's comment on Twitter was moronic, right enough

pancreas

Why should he be sacked? Zionism, taking the form of an assertion that the government of Israel must be by Jewish people for Jewish people, which is now enshrined in the nation state law, is racist. It promotes the interests of one race over another, and in that sense is no different from Apartheid South Africa, though arguably more violent. This form of Zionism is increasingly and deliberately conflated with the cuddly version which is about Jewish people having a designated homeland; this unfortunately, some idiots seem to be unable to disentangle, hence treat an attack on Zionism as an attack on Jews. But Zionism in its original sense is the reason Palestinians are being shot, having water diverted to irrigate Israeli avocado farms, or, in one of the latest pieces of fun, having their schools destroyed.

Being anti-Zionist in that sense is being anti-racist.

Endicott

Richard Burgon's quote, which I heard on a short BBC music station news broadcast, was 'the enemy of the Palestinian people is not the Jewish people it is Zionism'. He's specifically qualified it so that it isn't anti-semitic. He's not equating all Jews with anything at all, he's talking about a specific political movement. Which as pancs says is a racist political movement.

Zetetic

Quotethis unfortunately, some idiots seem to be unable to disentangle,
is a view, although not a terribly helpful one.

The practical issues of using the word 'Zionism' remain such that in the eyes of vast swathes of people it marks you out as a nutter at best and a Nazi nutter at worst.

(Which I think is part of the reason why people in the pro-Palestine movement continue to use it, because for them it's marker of belonging to that movement and sharing knowledge of the real meaning.)