Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:53:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Corbyn 23: Hail Discorbia

Started by Blue Jam, March 18, 2019, 04:03:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoSleep

Quote from: Bryan Cocks on March 21, 2019, 10:29:59 AM
It would have been preferable for him to stay though, do you get that? He finally showed up to a meeting he's been asked to attend since January 2018, one week before a potentially literal national calamity and walked  out for relatively minor reasons. Even if it was a one off example of self interested intransigence, it would be a dick move. But it's the latest in a litany of ways in which a Corbyn has obstructed progressive alternatives to Theresa May's deal. I think a lot of people will be very disappointed with his performance.

As Buelligan has shown he didn't do anything of the sort. Different meeting in same venue. Should he have stayed for the other meeting just to please you? Clearly the comments about Umunna were in passing (and factual) but he was not walking out on that other meeting.

Talulah, really!

Quote from: Buelligan on March 21, 2019, 10:36:08 AM
Apparently, he walked out of a meeting with David Lidington.  The meeting with May, which he attended, was over.

Hmmm....

Barry Gardiner, the shadow secretary of state for international trade, told the Today programme that Corbyn had already held a "20-minute, one-on-one" conversation with Theresa May and that the meeting the Labour leader left was actually with David Lidington, the de facto deputy prime minister.

He also said that participants in the meeting Corbyn missed later said that the prime minister had refused to cede any ground on her red lines.

Those two statements don't really tally do they?

Certainly everything I can find online suggest that Vince Cable, Liz Saville-Roberts, Ian Blackford and Caroline Lucas met the Prime Minister and not David Lidington, with some sources saying that Corbyn's '20 minute, one-on-one' conversation was a phonecall after the meeting.

Paul Calf

This is definitely what we should be arguing about at this point.

NoSleep

What was the timeline for that period? Was there time for her to fit in a 20 minute phonecall before making the public statement? The implication was that Corbyn had the one-on-one before that time (before the Bidlington meeting).

Talulah, really!

Is it? If you read Gardiner's statement, it looks as though Chuka Umunna turned up for a meeting with David Lidington which due to incompetence or malice of no. 10 was double booked with the party meeting of May, Corbyn, Cable, Blackford, Lucas and Savile-Roberts.

Quote.....The Independent Group does not. My understanding is that they were there not for that meeting originally.

They were there for a meeting with David Lidington and because No 10 didn't get its meetings sorted out they happened to be in the same room, it was chaos.

Again that doesn't really back up the idea Corbyn left a meeting because it was Lidington rather than May he was seeing. And as I stated several sources have the phonecall as occurring after the meeting. Why would he have a one-to-one call first if he was going to attend the meeting (not knowing at that point it would be a no. 10 shit show)?

Soup Dogg

Quote from: Paul Calf on March 21, 2019, 10:52:15 AM
This is definitely what we should be arguing about at this point.

Hi Paul could we get your checklist of approved conversational topics in a thread about Corbyn please thanks.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Jockice on March 21, 2019, 10:03:59 AM
It was the way he did it though. There was surely no need for him to leave the room backwards pointing at Chuka Ummuna and chanting: "Who the fuck, who the fuck, who the fucking hell are you? WHO THE FUCKING HELL ARE YOU?", before giving him V-signs with both hands as he exited.

The correct thing to do would have been to walk in, spot Umunna, point at him, say "fuck THAT cunt" and go for a kebab.

king_tubby

Buelligan

Quote from: Talulah, really! on March 21, 2019, 10:51:04 AM
Hmmm....

Quote from: Buelligan on March 21, 2019, 10:36:08 AM
Apparently, he walked out of a meeting with David Lidington.  The meeting with May, which he attended, was over.

QuoteBarry Gardiner, the shadow secretary of state for international trade, told the Today programme that Corbyn had already held a "20-minute, one-on-one" conversation with Theresa May and that the meeting the Labour leader left was actually with David Lidington, the de facto deputy prime minister.

He also said that participants in the meeting Corbyn missed later said that the prime minister had refused to cede any ground on her red lines.

Those two statements don't really tally do they?

I don't know, I wasn't there and definitive evidence of what took place is thin on the ground, I would say though that if the meeting was with Lidington, I imagine that Lidington was not expressing his own views but was speaking on behalf of May.  In other words, I don't think anyone can draw any final conclusion from those words either way.

What, I think, is more important is the complete shit-show that's taking place, created completely by this Conservative government.

Blumf

Should have got a Nandos delivery sent to the meeting, placed in the name of Datwan Kerumma

Replies From View

Replies From View

Quote from: Blumf on March 21, 2019, 11:55:33 AM
Should have got a Nandos delivery sent to the meeting, placed in the name of Datwan Kerumma

Or put a kebab in a Jiffy bag and sent it via second class post to them (to arrive in time for the meeting obviously).

Paul Calf

Quote from: Soup Dogg on March 21, 2019, 11:15:44 AM

Hi Paul could we get your checklist of approved conversational topics in a thread about Corbyn please thanks.

Tie yourself up in knots arguing about something most of the tiny minority of people who even noticed it have already forgotten about if it gets you stiff, mate. After all, Brexit is only next week and the homeless are dying on the streets so it's not like this is a mass distraction to draw attention away from all that is it?

greencalx

Yeah, I don't particularly care about this, but the news could have been better managed, e.g., with the Labour press office putting out a statement before anything else went out explaining what Corbyn was/wasn't attending and why. It does look again like the fake news got out first, but, ultimately, so what?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Just seen Paul Mason on NM and he's looking the best he's been for a while. However he was doing some great work.

"The Guardian's main priority is 'don't let our world die'

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: greencalx on March 21, 2019, 12:41:48 PM
Yeah, I don't particularly care about this, but the news could have been better managed, e.g., with the Labour press office putting out a statement before anything else went out explaining what Corbyn was/wasn't attending and why. It does look again like the fake news got out first, but, ultimately, so what?

As Gardiner said, it was a total mess and a bizarrely managed situation so rather than a meeting it was just random important people standing around at cross purposes.

Soup Dogg

Quote from: Paul Calf on March 21, 2019, 12:34:38 PM
Tie yourself up in knots arguing about something most of the tiny minority of people who even noticed it have already forgotten about if it gets you stiff, mate. After all, Brexit is only next week and the homeless are dying on the streets so it's not like this is a mass distraction to draw attention away from all that is it?

Okay I am quite stiff tho so I'll carry on talking bout whether the recent thing Corbyn did can or should be used to gleam anything about the character and prospects of Corbyn in this thread about Corbyn. Naturally, this means I don't care about anything else because that is famously how people work.

PS. I am wanking as I write this.

Soup Dogg

Uh oh, turns out while I was typing that Brexit and climate change were still happening and now I feel quite the boob let me tell you.

jobotic

BlodwynPig

Quote from: pancreas on March 21, 2019, 09:45:02 AM
Indeed.

So as NoSleep said last night: Get a fucking grip.

Thanks Pancreas - already assumed this, but you need hard evidence these days...case closed.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Bryan Cocks on March 21, 2019, 10:29:59 AM
It would have been preferable for him to stay though, do you get that? He finally showed up to a meeting he's been asked to attend since January 2018, one week before a potentially literal national calamity and walked  out for relatively minor reasons. Even if it was a one off example of self interested intransigence, it would be a dick move. But it's the latest in a litany of ways in which a Corbyn has obstructed progressive alternatives to Theresa May's deal. I think a lot of people will be very disappointed with his performance.

You've failed miserably on this. Time for you to resign.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Talulah, really! on March 21, 2019, 11:13:52 AM
Is it? If you read Gardiner's statement, it looks as though Chuka Umunna turned up for a meeting with David Lidington which due to incompetence or malice of no. 10 was double booked with the party meeting of May, Corbyn, Cable, Blackford, Lucas and Savile-Roberts.

Again that doesn't really back up the idea Corbyn left a meeting because it was Lidington rather than May he was seeing. And as I stated several sources have the phonecall as occurring after the meeting. Why would he have a one-to-one call first if he was going to attend the meeting (not knowing at that point it would be a no. 10 shit show)?

Does Bigfoot exist? That is the real pressing matter.

Talulah, really!

Quote from: Paul Calf on March 21, 2019, 12:34:38 PM

So it is something only a tiny minority of people noticed and already forgotten about whilst at the same time a mass distraction?

And maybe there would be a few less homeless dying on the streets if Corbyn had taken them out a few kebabs from the prizewinners at the competition he was meeting the other night, if we are going to deploy that kind of fallacy.

idunnosomename

It doesn't look good for Corbyn!

greenman

Just like to make an early suggestion of...

Corbyn 24: No Country For Bald Men

Paul Calf

Quote from: Soup Dogg on March 21, 2019, 12:49:03 PM
Okay I am quite stiff tho so I'll carry on talking bout whether the recent thing Corbyn did can or should be used to gleam anything about the character and prospects of Corbyn in this thread about Corbyn. Naturally, this means I don't care about anything else because that is famously how people work.

PS. I am wanking as I write this.

Cool story bro.

TrenterPercenter

Let's look at it another way, why did Chukka gatecrash a meeting that was specifically for leaders of parties.  He isn't in a party and no it isn't a technicality we do not give people the same privileges that do not abide by the checks and balances designed to protect democracy of the real.

Chukka must have known this and deliberately tried to attend, setting the presidence of privately funded organisations access to vetted parliamentary meetings.  He should be ashamed of his himself as he behaviour has now distracted from Brexit.

Corbyn was absolutely right to leave the meeting that wasn't a meeting because Chukka was trying to chancing his luck and diminishing parliamentary procedure in the process.

........yeah but can we forget all of that so we can continue to moan about Corbyn? Please?

Where did you get the idea he gatecrashed the meeting? Chukka was in the building to meet Liddington, Corbyn and the rest to meet May. Due to some sort of cock-up the meeting room was double-booked, so Jez  flounced.

phantom_power

At what level of melodramatic gesturing and huffy noises does leaving a room become a flounce?

When you're leader of the opposition and are in the room because you have a meeting scheduled with the Prime Minister.

I'm a long term Corbyn supporter BTW, I just don't think it does us any good to become entirely detached from reality.