Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 03:18:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Corbyn 23: Hail Discorbia

Started by Blue Jam, March 18, 2019, 04:03:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I think some of the most recent polls is this typical trend in recent years of manufactured panic, a rush of apocalyptic negativity in the press about a side's chances to ensure the eventual end result, while still negative, perhaps even significant, are deemed a close escape. It also gives an electric shock to energise that party's base to get out and campaign.

We saw it multiple times with Trump including in the mid-Terms where some really shoddy results from any historical measure were spun as "not as bad as feared" because the media had trailed a disaster that was clearly unrealistic, and recently in the last council elections where Labour having one of their best ever results was deemed to be past 'peak Corbyn' because Labour didn't take Wandsworth and the Manufactured Crisis over anti-Semitism gained a foothold with Labour not winning Barnet, despite both being hitherto dreamland targets and yet still were pretty close run things.

I just hope Labour can get out the vote as the unglamorous local elections where the young don't turnout clearly hurt their chances outside London. Be nice to show the organisation between Labour and Momentum activists has improved too.

There's just something deliciously enticing about the Tories collapsing to below 25%.

Remember that Corbyn doesn't necessarily need to find more votes, he just needs to maintain Labour's performance if the enthusiasm for the Tories falls away.

greenman

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on April 18, 2019, 05:05:19 PMRemember that Corbyn doesn't necessarily need to find more votes, he just needs to maintain Labour's performance if the enthusiasm for the Tories falls away.

Indeed, I think people do tend to forget that the Tories also picked up a lot of new voters in 2017 and arguably many of them have had more reason to become disillusioned with the way Brexit has gone.

Johnny Yesno

Replies From View

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on April 18, 2019, 10:30:40 PM
Bit mean. You should offer him the bed.

You obviously haven't seen his bed.

pancreas

Don't you dare say a fucking word about my bed.

Replies From View

Quote from: pancreas on April 18, 2019, 11:04:04 PM
Don't you dare say a fucking word about my bed.

It has ET transfers on it because you love the film ET.

jobotic

Mr_Simnock

What a bizarre hysterical tweet

Kelvin

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on April 19, 2019, 03:41:16 PM
What a bizarre hysterical tweet

Nah mate. Single poll. National emergency.

Summon
the
helicarrier

greenman

Special
Headboys
Eliminating
Intrusive
Liberal
Democracy

sponk

I consider this Tory gov to be a national emergency and I'm sure many people queuing up at foodbanks will agree.

NoSleep

Quote from: jobotic on April 19, 2019, 03:01:35 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/AllisterHeath/status/1118621526012641280

Editor of the Sunday Telegraph filling his nappy. Long may it continue.

This is linked a few replies down: https://www.ohchr.org/en/NewsEvents/Pages/DisplayNews.aspx?NewsID=23881&LangID=E

Statement on Visit to the United Kingdom, by Professor Philip Alston, United Nations Special Rapporteur on extreme poverty and human rights

QuoteThe experience of the United Kingdom, especially since 2010, underscores the conclusion that poverty is a political choice. Austerity could easily have spared the poor, if the political will had existed to do so. Resources were available to the Treasury at the last budget that could have transformed the situation of millions of people living in poverty, but the political choice was made to fund tax cuts for the wealthy instead.

Twed

Danger Man

The Daily Mail have run out of attack pieces on Corbyn so are now reduced to this

QuoteJeremy Corbyn is considering 'boycotting' Downing Street if he becomes Prime Minister under plans which have caused turmoil in Whitehall and dismay among his advisers.
Civil servants secretly preparing for a possible Labour Government have been told that Mr Corbyn would prefer to remain living in his four-bedroom North London home and use No 10 purely as an office.
One Whitehall source also claimed that civil servants had discussed the prospect of the Labour leader being allowed to convert part of the famous No 10 Rose Garden into a vegetable plot, similar to the allotment which he famously tends.

He's going to dig up Downing Street!!!

greencalx

Celebrity Remainer and Private Eye columnist Dr Phil Hammond has tweeted

We need to start a Beyond Brexit Party, for everyone who believes that tackling climate change, income inequality, social injustice & failing public services is far more urgent than endlessly arguing about whether or not to give less than 1% of our tax to the EU.

Isn't that the Labour Party?

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: greencalx on April 21, 2019, 10:08:57 AM
Celebrity Remainer and Private Eye columnist Dr Phil Hammond has tweeted

Isn't that the Labour Party?

Weird. I thought the usp of the Eye is that it is paying attention.

greencalx

For some reason their attitude towards Corbyn is essentially the same as the rest of the media set. There are legitimate criticisms of him and his inner circle that I think would be consistent with the mag's general world view, but they seem happy to regurgitate the lazy lines of the mainstream press instead.

Absorb the anus burn

Quote from: greencalx on April 21, 2019, 11:54:40 AM
For some reason their attitude towards Corbyn is essentially the same as the rest of the media set. There are legitimate criticisms of him and his inner circle that I think would be consistent with the mag's general world view, but they seem happy to regurgitate the lazy lines of the mainstream press instead.

Tbh Corbyn gets more balanced coverage in Viz.

pancreas

The impression I get of Private Eye is that it's a bunch of privately educated wankers who consider it their responsibility to hold other privately educated wankers to account. This is the natural way of things, they think. The idea that any aspect, however small, of their privileged way of life might be under threat from Corbyn fills them with horror.

greenman

Could it be that there a bunch of selfish frauds?

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: pancreas on April 21, 2019, 12:38:35 PM
The impression I get of Private Eye is that it's a bunch of privately educated wankers who consider it their responsibility to hold other privately educated wankers to account. This is the natural way of things, they think. The idea that any aspect, however small, of their privileged way of life might be under threat from Corbyn fills them with horror.

Foot and perhaps Wheen would be exceptions to this. Sadly we lost Foot some years ago.

I wonder if the Eye feels it has to  satirise everything in order to be balanced. It doesn't really have an editorial line. Which I think can be a good and bad thing.

Buelligan

I sometimes wonder whether they're haunted or at least regularly visited by spooks.  If I were a spook, I'd want to jizz my ectoplasm in amongst real human jizz, makes it far harder to spot, gives it the anti-establishment (it was in the olden days) ring of actualité.

Alan Clark is dead

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Absorb the anus burn on April 21, 2019, 11:57:58 AM
Tbh Corbyn gets more balanced coverage in Viz.

Sadly, this is funny cos it's true.

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on April 21, 2019, 01:56:37 PM
I wonder if the Eye feels it has to  satirise everything in order to be balanced. It doesn't really have an editorial line. Which I think can be a good and bad thing.

I think that's correct. However, I don't think Doctor Phil's tweet was meant to be satirical. It's a strange blind spot, coming from someone who understands what's happening in the NHS.

Zetetic

https://twitter.com/drphilhammond/status/1119896597997989888
QuoteThanks for all your responses. Lots of people saying this party already exist. It's the Greens, it's Labour, it's the SNP, it's Plaid, it's the LibDems, it's Change UK. I'm saying all of the above should join up in a progressive alliance to win seats & get these policies through.

Well.

Zetetic

I don't much care for grossly non-proportional electoral systems, still.

Zetetic

The real problem with the original tweet is the attempt to minimise wealth inequality.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: pancreas on April 21, 2019, 12:38:35 PM

The lurid tangibility while imagining Hislop's self-satisfaction as he chuckles another "Comrade Corbyn" out of his potato-bonce, tells all.

They genuinely hold certain Conservative figures in contempt, but their preference, as is obvious, is for "competent" and non-corrupt centrist (right-wing) governance. Which will never happen due to the nature of centralised/elitist power and the greed of those who seek it. Which suits them anyway as it keeps them in fresh material.

Private Eye's journalism rarely ever aims to have a significant impact, which is the worst thing you can say about any satirical output.

Buelligan

Yeah, Private Eye doesn't have dreams does it?  It's great at pointing up the ugliness of the world but completely shit at offering alternatives.  Too much All things bright and beautiful in school chapel.

The rich man in his castle,
The poor man at his gate,
God made them high and lowly,
And ordered their estate..

We start them young.  That hymn should be fucking banned btw.

NoSleep

gib

Quote from: Buelligan on April 22, 2019, 07:58:16 AM
Yeah, Private Eye doesn't have dreams does it?  It's great at pointing up the ugliness of the world but completely shit at offering alternatives.  Too much All things bright and beautiful in school chapel.

The rich man in his castle,
The poor man at his gate,
God made them high and lowly,
And ordered their estate..

We start them young.  That hymn should be fucking banned btw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7dYXVLPd6Y