Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:08:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Corbyn 23: Hail Discorbia

Started by Blue Jam, March 18, 2019, 04:03:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Calf

Quote from: Buelligan on April 22, 2019, 07:58:16 AM
Yeah, Private Eye doesn't have dreams does it?  It's great at pointing up the ugliness of the world but completely shit at offering alternatives.  Too much All things bright and beautiful in school chapel.

The rich man in his castle,
The poor man at his gate,
God made them high and lowly,
And ordered their estate..

We start them young.  That hymn should be fucking banned btw.

I don't think that verse has been sung in schools since the late 1970s has it?

Buelligan

Replies From View

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteI don't think that verse has been sung in schools since the late 1970s has it?

Only 1 school but I can vouch for singing that in Assembly, or as our Bible-bashing cuntface Head Mr Railton called it, 'Worship'.

BlodwynPig

Yeah, Private Eye doesn't have dreams does it?  It's great at pointing up the ugliness of the world but completely shit at offering alternatives.  Too much All things bright and beautiful in school chapel.

Peter Gabriel, 1973?

Replies From View

His cock is wide and open
His glans is bulging sore
And all around this landscape
Our ears will hear him roar

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I say Bempt Luego Bempt Luego - where de rich man at
I say Bempt Luego Bempt Luego - where de poor man, God?

Buelligan

Popular Disc Jockey, Mr Read is 28

holyzombiejesus

Labour re tweeting about the 4 new bank holidays for the national saint days again today. Part of me think this is misguided; has there been any research done to see if this is popular with the electorate? Obviously days off are good but I am worried that it'll fed in to the public's misconception of Labour being profligate. It'd also mean we had 7 days off in March/ April which seems a bit bonkers. Midweek bank holidays would be a bit weird too, wouldn't they?

Just seen there was an article in The Guardian about this and whilst the author may be a bit of a dick, it seems that the 4 extra days might well not be 'free' but eat in to existing holiday provision.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/apr/24/abolish-bank-holidays-jeremy-corbyn-annual-leave

Fambo Number Mive

More bank holidays during the autumn and winter would be a good idea Maybe move one of the May bank holidays to October?

phantom_power

As a self-employed person more bank holidays can fuck the fuck off

Paul Calf

Why? If you're self-employed, you can just choose to work Bank Holidays.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on April 23, 2019, 09:25:10 AM
Labour re tweeting about the 4 new bank holidays for the national saint days again today. Part of me think this is misguided; has there been any research done to see if this is popular with the electorate? Obviously days off are good but I am worried that it'll fed in to the public's misconception of Labour being profligate. It'd also mean we had 7 days off in March/ April which seems a bit bonkers. Midweek bank holidays would be a bit weird too, wouldn't they?

Just seen there was an article in The Guardian about this and whilst the author may be a bit of a dick, it seems that the 4 extra days might well not be 'free' but eat in to existing holiday provision.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/apr/24/abolish-bank-holidays-jeremy-corbyn-annual-leave

Aside of the policy merits, speaking only of the timing - we've just had Easter weekend, and a lot of people have had a great time in the lovely weather. A pretty timely moment to remind people that Labour will give people a bit more time off to spend with their friends, families or their own plans.

Remember this policy is aimed at people who work in drudgery jobs. People who think it's a profligate giveaway probably don't have to do one and a half jobs in order to pay for their childcare/elderly care costs and such like.

Buelligan

I work a couple of drudgery jobs, Bank Holidays, Christmas, the summer, always mean more work (and no double time or anything like that). 

Nevertheless, I see those days, like weekends (which also mean more work people like me), as hard-won rights for most working people to spend time living their actual lives, rather than selling their time often just to make enough money to eat, have a roof and keep selling their time.  AFAIC, bring them on.  Give us excess of it.

phantom_power

Quote from: Paul Calf on April 23, 2019, 10:07:11 AM
Why? If you're self-employed, you can just choose to work Bank Holidays.

Not if the people I work for and with don't work on Bank Holidays

Dr Rock

I'd rather they were in the middle of the week, I hate that you have two days that are like Sundays with no post, or other things that aren't available on a Saturday, like council services, are closed for three days on the trot. I'd rather people could take the 'bank holiday' on a day that suited them and not be another mass close-down of all the shops and that.

honeychile

When that Labour public holidays policy was announced, i thought although it sounded nice (and clever politics to hijack something of an english nationalist trope and diffuse its potency by linking it to other home nations and enjoying time off work), the issue of it eating into existing entitlement was always my bugbear. The obvious solution is to up the total entitlement. You could mitigate a little of this by eliminating an existing bank holiday. Spring would be overloaded though wouldn't it: St Davids Day, St Patricks Day, Good Friday, Easter Monday, St Georges Day, May Day, Late May Bank Holiday. Get rid of the last one maybe, or stick it some time in the summer.

Also Easter should be made to be the same week every year anyway. Same with Ramadan. Up at our latitudes fasting during a December/January Ramadan is a piece of piss compared to the prospect of it in June/July. Just have it in September or March every year, sorted.

Paul Calf

Or don't allow employers to count Bank Holidays as part of staff leave entitlement. It's appalling that they're allowed to do that.

pancreas

Quote from: Paul Calf on April 23, 2019, 11:55:13 AM
Or don't allow employers to count Bank Holidays as part of staff leave entitlement. It's appalling that they're allowed to do that.

+1/-0 karm for this message

Buelligan

My employers don't count Bank Holidays at all, except we have to work extra shifts (they're often Mondays which is my day off  so I just don't get a day off those weeks) and, like I said, we don't even get a better rate, just minimum wage, even for shit like Christmas or New Year's Eve. 

I only tell you this because I think some people imagine that the life of a skivvy is all beer and skittles.  It is not.

holyzombiejesus

I wonder what would happen with schools. Would the 4 extra days be taken off the kids' and staff's holidays, so shorter summer/ Easter break or would they just get 4 days less schooling?

Blumf

Quote from: Buelligan on April 23, 2019, 12:04:41 PM
I only tell you this because I think some people imagine that the life of a skivvy is all beer and skittles.  It is not.

I'm always surprised at your tales of labour woes as I thought France would be pretty tidy in regards to employment laws. But it seems you are working Thatcher's Britain.

Buelligan

I used to be in a rather precarious situation because (for reasons beyond my control) I had a lack of correct papers that meant I could not be issued with correct papers that put me at the mercy of any employer. 

Now, I have that sorted but (I think) the regulations for employers in the restaurant business are pretty lax here.  Again, I think, because we have a cultural and historic thing for food and people who provide it are - arguably - seen as essential workers who simply do not have the right to rest when there are citizens in need of a Michelin-starred assiette.

honeychile

Quote from: Paul Calf on April 23, 2019, 11:55:13 AM

It amounts to the same either way. If the entitlement is upped, that means everyone gets say 32 days a/l (including bank holidays). If it is kept the same but bank holidays aren't included, it would mean x days (20 at the moment i think) plus bank holidays. But some jobs are needed during bank holidays obviously, so those workers would have to get lieu days for the bank holidays.. putting them on the same as everyone else.

Given that carbon emissions are lower on non-work days (pretty sure this holds true even accounting for holiday travelling - although not factoring in people flying abroad for holidays), there's a very strong environmental argument for four-day week and extra a/l besides the public wellbeing case.

BlodwynPig

I think here in Canada they have one holiday every month. Works quite well and some shops are open on them.

Buelligan

Here, I get 20 days, no Bank Holidays - not even 1 May - no Christmas and no time off in lieu (havoc on the bladder) and I don't even get to choose when to take the holidays I do get.  I honestly think this could be improved.

idunnosomename

I will only tolerate that hymn for the joy that the line "the purple-headed mountain" has brought to so many generations

Buelligan

Absorb the anus burn

Interview with Larry Sanders (not that one!) Bernie's brother and noted environmental campaigner.

"... I see Corbyn as a left-wing leader, and the membership is pretty left-wing. But the elected officials I don't think are left-wing..... The splits over Brexit can be legitimate given that there are looming disasters in any direction they explore, though I think it would be better for them to be against Brexit. But the amount of anger that all those differences reveal have to do with deeper issues which I've talked about: vast majority of MPs really don't agree with Corbyn and believe he's illegitimate. They can't completely dismiss him, but they fight him at every stage..."

https://leftfootforward.org/2019/04/interview-with-larry-sanders-the-right-of-the-labour-party-will-drag-corbyn-down/