Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:05:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Please help me to find a docking station for an ipod Nano.

Started by holyzombiejesus, March 18, 2019, 08:09:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holyzombiejesus

Christ, it feels like I'm trying to get hold of something to play wax cylinders on. All I need is something that I can connect my wife's iPod Nano to so a) it remains charged and b) can play music through a speaker. Does something like this exist any more? We're currently using an old CD/cassette player that has an ipod slot but that's breaking.

BlodwynPig

Twed

If you need something really bespoke and obsolete sometimes you can get people to 3D print it for you:

https://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=ipod+nano&dwh=275c8ffefec6d54

Not sure about the speaker part. Does it have Bluetooth?

the

Excuse my i-ignorance, but do you need a docking station - is there not a suitable cable that would perform the same functions?

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: the on March 18, 2019, 08:40:17 PM
Excuse my i-ignorance, but do you need a docking station - is there not a suitable cable that would perform the same functions?

Can't think of a way to keep the ipod charged and connected to a speaker. Guess I could get a separate speaker and a usb charger but would prefer something all in one. We use it to play 'sleepy songs' to the baby whilst he sleeps so it's kept next to his bed.

the

Oh I see, your dock has a speaker in it. I thought you were talking about a dock that's just a standalone connector.

Is there such a thing as an adaptor to make the Nano fit a speaker dock for a larger iPod (presuming that you can still get hold of such a dock)?

holyzombiejesus

I'm not sure. I just thought there may still be some cheapo old-ish systems around somewhere.

Consignia

If worst came to worst you could connect the headphone jack to auxiliary in on a stereo, and use the charging cable to charge. It's no pretty all in one solution, but it'd do the trick.

Ignatius_S

Second-hand ones are easy enough to find and would be pretty cheap. Apple phased out the old 30-pin connector over five years ago, so second-hand would be the way to go.

Alternatively, just get a 30-pin to lightning adaptor and use that with a lightning dock product.

Ignatius_S

Adaptors are dead cheap but reports tend to be pretty mixed, so would keep that in mind, particularly if you're buying a speaker dock only for the nano.

I've just looked on eBay and there are quite a lot of second-hand speaker dock by decent brands that are going very cheap - I also noticed some new ones... so there might be another way to go!

Replies From View

hi buddy there's one over there in a skip

shall I reach it out for you, check if it works

oh no sorry the skip is being carted off and its contents are now lost forever

lazarou

Quote from: Ignatius_S on March 18, 2019, 09:18:21 PM
I've just looked on eBay and there are quite a lot of second-hand speaker dock by decent brands that are going very cheap - I also noticed some new ones... so there might be another way to go!

eBay's almost definitely the way to go. Even if you don't want a used one, there's going to be a vast amount of New Old Stock floating around for something that was as ubiquitous as the Nano. There's no end of sellers on there with huge backlogs of accessories for old players and phones.

Blue Jam

Crack Converters. I was in my local branch on Monday and was amazed at the little museum exhibit of old Apple products they had in a little glass case. It included a speaker/dock for an iPhone 3, plus an iPod Touch and an iPod Nano.

jobotic

I want a Nano. Decided to buy one just as they scrapped them.