Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:55:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Fake news

Started by Zetetic, March 18, 2019, 08:30:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Z

This is true I saw it in an article that also said they're going to start charging to use Hotmail.

BlodwynPig

"Hottermail - Get your e-mails before everyone else does!"

Buelligan

Excellent, entertaining and thought-provoking stuff, nice authentic touch that you included Margot James.  A salient reminder of the point in including sources and checking information.  You shouldn't always trust what you read ergot Biggy.

Paul Calf

If nothing else, this thread has paid gold with this:

QuoteRepressive tryant and dictator Vladimir Putin just brought in a 'fake new' law, thank god we'd never consider anything like that in our free society!

biggytitbo

Apart from the hilarious typo what is the problem with this statement exactly? Did Paul miss the moral panic about 'fake news' and the way the state and social media have spent the last few years trying to suppress alternative, anti-war and leftist news sources? Paul must have missed the lying neocon warmongers being put in charge of 'fact checking', or Russiagate grifters, the Integrity Initiative and Hamilton 68 fighting 'fake news' with more fake news?

Buelligan

I don't know bigs, my point was that you gobble up outrage and reaction like a hungry medieval peasant consuming ergot infested bread.  And also the importance of reading and checking stuff.

biggytitbo

Odd how I appeared to be the only one who knew Russia had just brought in a 'fake news' law then, which was behind the whole Beadle-esque jape in the first place. In this case Russia simply following where we have already led.

Buelligan

I don't understand how the two statements (mine and yours above) are mutually exclusive. 

Paul Calf

Quote from: biggytitbo on March 19, 2019, 08:46:17 AM
Odd how I appeared to be the only one who knew Russia had just brought in a 'fake news' law then...

It's not really, is it?

Quote from: biggytitbo on March 19, 2019, 08:22:49 AM
Apart from the hilarious typo what is the problem with this statement exactly? Did Paul miss the moral panic about 'fake news' and the way the state and social media have spent the last few years trying to suppress alternative, anti-war and leftist news sources? Paul must have missed the lying neocon warmongers being put in charge of 'fact checking', or Russiagate grifters, the Integrity Initiative and Hamilton 68 fighting 'fake news' with more fake news?

TO THE BARRICADES!

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Zetetic on March 18, 2019, 10:53:32 PM
I don't expect "the establishment" to, but I think it's something that special interest groups (Liberty? ORG? EFF UK?) have a chance to push for - particularly if we ever see the Tories leave office.
[url].

That's not going to happen, it's only really the establishment who have the power to force the hands of isps, and if they're doing that they're going to try and grab as much control as they can at the same time. The end goal is to have an internet that promotes the same select narratives as traditional media.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on March 19, 2019, 09:35:50 AM
The end goal is to have an internet that promotes the same select narratives as traditional media.

I know they'll try, but I'm not really convinced that they'll succeed. I mean, you can narrow the scope of 'the internet' down to a few social media sites and it's eminently possible (and this has happened in some late-adopting countries) but tI'm not sure it's possible to entirely restrict it and maintain the appearance of a liberal democracy.

gne

It was a BBC article we were expected to try and read. The perfect crime.

Sebastian Cobb

So this just appeared on me Facebook.

Fambo Number Mive

I've seen that.

I think telling people how to spot fake news - without trying to claim any examples - is reasonable, but I don't like the idea of the government being involved.

Sebastian Cobb

'spotting bullshit' should be taught in schools, there's nothing different about Internet fake news and newspaper fake news like they had when I were a lad, but I got the impression that sort of critical thinking was the sort of thing that'd make teaching kids to pass exams more difficult, so was discouraged.

Of course the government is reliant on people swallowing bullshit, and are only concerned about people believing the wrong kind of bullshit.

Zetetic

phantom_power

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on April 07, 2019, 05:57:44 PM
I've seen that.

I think telling people how to spot fake news - without trying to claim any examples - is reasonable, but I don't like the idea of the government being involved.

I don't think there is a problem if the extent is a generic "think before you repost something, dummy" ad campaign

Bazooka

I prefer fake news to clickbait news, which the BBC news site is becoming good at.