Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:26:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

How much alcohol do you drink?

Started by holyzombiejesus, March 19, 2019, 12:38:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holyzombiejesus

Following on from the weight gain thread, thought I'd start (yet another) boozey thread.

I told myself that I was going to give up alcohol in the week this year (at least for a while) but have drank half a bottle of red every week night since.  Should I be worried? I don't drink during the day and I guess that managing to stop at half a bottle and not pour myself a smidge more is something positive but I do worry that my alcohol consumption is outweighing the reported health benefits of red wine. I drink Friday and Saturday night too, so have some alcohol every night and have done since well before Christmas.

Please tell me that I am doing the right thing and have nothing to worry about. Oh yeah, those weird wankers who don't drink? Please fuck off out of this thread. Ta.

gib

I don't see any problem with that. Mainly grape juice, one of your five a day.

Neville Chamberlain

I drink once a week, usually between 6 and 8 bottles of nice German beer bought for peanuts at the off-license across the road and enjoyed over the course of a few hours in the evening.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I'm on a couple of beers a day Mon-Fri and 3-4 a day on weekends/or the equivalent in wine or mixers depending on the occasion.

That seems like a similar amount to you.

Danger Man

If you are looking for the approval of strangers then something is probably not right.

Nowhere Man

Friday-Sunday and sometimes Wednesday or Thursdays I'll have a few whisky and cokes or an ale. Occassionally red wine. The most I'll have on a single day will be about 4-5 ales, generally on a Friday.

Not terribly I don't think

EOLAN

Don't drink alcohol in a dull standard uneventful week. Tend to drink based on events (could be meeting mates to watch my soccer/rugby club in person or TV) and also can be dependent on if I have to drive back (won't touch a drop of alcohol) or not. Never know what to say when doctors ask you the standard question of how many units/drinks you consume a week. 

Icehaven

Quote from: EOLAN on March 19, 2019, 01:29:39 PM
Never know what to say when doctors ask you the standard question of how many units/drinks you consume a week.

This has to largely be a pointless question anyway as so many people who drink what could be considered excessive or hazardous amounts would lie. I know I would. Even a lot of perfectly moderate drinkers probably knock a bit off just to keep any discussion off the table, so to speak. 

bgmnts

On some occasions, probably adds up to around 4 or 5 times a year excluding your christmasses and new years and the like.

My body's a temple.

Endicott

holyzombiejesus, that much isn't going to damage your liver (I AM NOT A DOCTOR) but it is going to make you a fat fuck. Take your pick. BTW I drink more and and am trying to cut down. Cudos for stopping at half a bottle but how about not opening so many per week.

poo

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: EOLAN on March 19, 2019, 01:29:39 PM
Never know what to say when doctors ask you the standard question of how many units/drinks you consume a week.

I always say "21 units" but then laugh afterwards. Then the doctor looks at me, as if to say what are you laughing at, and then I feel silly and say "21 units" in a sensible voice.

Danger Man

Quote from: icehaven on March 19, 2019, 02:12:29 PM
This has to largely be a pointless question anyway as so many people who drink what could be considered excessive or hazardous amounts would lie. I know I would. Even a lot of perfectly moderate drinkers probably knock a bit off just to keep any discussion off the table, so to speak.

Doctors tend to double the answer to get nearer the truth.

Not mine, though, as that would have been impossible.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Endicott on March 19, 2019, 02:19:50 PM
Cudos for stopping at half a bottle but how about not opening so many per week.

Because I can't imagine not settling down with a glass of wine of an evening :(

Wine's not that calorific, is it?

When my dad visits, he usually gives us a box of wine that he buys in Bordeaux. It's a fucker to ration that out as it's so easy to keep having an extra little splash.

Chollis

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on March 19, 2019, 02:40:50 PM
Wine's not that calorific, is it?

Sadly, as with all of life's pleasures, it is.

Cloud

Generally 2-3 beers Sun-Thu, 6 on Fri+Sat.   The odd "night cap" thrown in at random, but not a habit

Seems a lot as its regular and obviously well over the measly recommendations from drinkaware et al, but still way less than some mates of mine who typically do all-dayers on weekends and chase down a curry with 4-6 pints about 3 or 4 times a week.  As always it's a balance between avoiding enough harm to significantly shorten life / risk suffering, vs. not enjoying life now for the sake of eking out a few more years in a nursing home at the age of 96.

I think when my dentist asked (per procedure) they just gave bands like "not at all", "light", "moderate", "heavy" so I'm just honest - in my mind anyway - and say moderate with the odd occasion like beer festivals leaning towards heavy but 'with reasonable moderation' (stay conscious and able to order a taxi.  I've been paralytic before and don't like it).  They didn't seem overly worried.

ToneLa

More than I should, less than I'd like

Aboot eight to twelve pints a week I think. Rarely more rarely less

Shoulders?-Stomach!

One slight suggestion for holyzombiejesus, and not just for hobby horse reasons, would be to switch to beer bottles. You get a satisfying quantity and when the bottle's gone it's gone. No "hmm may as well polish this off" when you open a bottle of wine. Once the wine is open you're also committed to finishing it within the next day or two before it goes bad.

Wine is the most drinkable in volume and tastiest drink pound for pound by strength too. Deadly.

Cuellar

gilbertharding

Some weekends I drink two bottles of ale on Friday and another two on Saturday, but most often I have two on Friday and none on Saturday. Sometimes I only have one bottle on either day.

I am trying to cut down because what's the fucking point?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: gilbertharding on March 19, 2019, 03:05:19 PM
Some weekends I drink two bottles of ale on Friday and another two on Saturday, but most often I have two on Friday and none on Saturday. Sometimes I only have one bottle on either day.

Nice tastes and feeling good, I reckon

Chollis

Quote from: gilbertharding on March 19, 2019, 03:05:19 PM

As Shoulders said, drinking's bloody great. That's the problem.

Cloud

Well, to some it's just a habit that they don't really get any enjoyment from, I've heard. In which case it'd make sense to stop, and I'd say "lucky you" :)

I'm a Real Ale Twat, so it's a big passion to me

Alberon

biggytitbo

Maybe try progressively making your drinking vessels smaller? 1ml a day and by the end of the year you'll be drinking out of thimbles and feeling all the better for it.

ToneLa

Quote from: Cloud on March 19, 2019, 03:46:25 PM
Well, to some it's just a habit that they don't really get any enjoyment from, I've heard. In which case it'd make sense to stop, and I'd say "lucky you" :)

I'm a Real Ale Twat, so it's a big passion to me

I don't even mind unreal ale.

mrpupkin

Drinking makes you fat, boring, depressed and stupid. Worst drug ever. Anyone for a pint after work?

biggytitbo

Quote from: mrpupkin on March 19, 2019, 04:18:01 PM
Drinking makes you fat, boring, depressed and stupid.

So does getting older tbh.

gilbertharding

No I mean I like beer, and wine and all the other drinks. I also like being drunk, although I'm never that happy about having been drunk for some reason.

I mean 'what's the fucking point?' in drinking at all OR cutting down, because I only drink like an average of 2 bottles of beer a week. I'm hoping to lose a bit of weight (I'm 12st, 6'0"), but the little amount I drink is unlikely to affect that.

wosl

Quote from: biggytitbo on March 19, 2019, 04:48:57 PM
Quote from: mrpupkin on March 19, 2019, 04:18:01 PMDrinking makes you fat, boring, depressed and stupid.
So does getting older tbh.

This fat, boring, stupid old person has forgotten how to correctly wear spectacles: