Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 07:07:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

How much alcohol do you drink?

Started by holyzombiejesus, March 19, 2019, 12:38:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rizla

Gunwhales, but never before 6pm apart from w/e. At least 4 cans/pints or 1 bottle vino on a quiet night, like a monday, except yesterday was my birthday so there were daytime gins factored in too. On a saturday, it depends on if there's football on and whether or not i've a gig. ballsport+no gig = 2 pints and a can en route pre-match, 2 or so post-match then usual 4 cans/bottle for home. footkick+gig = try keep it to max 3 before the gig, as much as can be decorously necked during gig, which also depends on venue and whether it's complimentary (dangerous), usually a 4 pack/bottle o vino for after. I do find it very hard to go a day without, been this way since oh 2002 I reckon, apart from a couple of extended dry periods (6 months max). Dead soon, although I haven't smoked since October so it's not like I'm a hopeless addict. BEAT THAT

EDIT New page, new liver

I have a job that involves a lot of night work and is safety critical so I can't go to work even slightest amount of alcohol in my system as I'd be instantly sacked/prosecuted. This has the effect of, whilst protecting me from full blown alcoholism, it's done nothing for my binge drinking.
Week before last I had 5 night shifts so had zero units right up until Saturday, but by the time I'd gone to bed that night I'd probably consumed 20+ units, followed by another 10 the following day. This generally takes the shape of gym in the morning followed by a 2.5 mile walk to the pub to meet brother/mates. A quick 4 then a walk back home. Then it'll be sipping beer until 11pm. Never getting pissed just keeping that nice 4/5 pint buzz going.

I kid myself that cardiovascular fitness will provide some protection against <insert numerous life threatening conditions here. >

Buelligan

Quote from: wosl on March 19, 2019, 05:20:25 PM
This fat, boring, stupid old person has forgotten how to correctly wear spectacles:

Golly, gosh.  How lovely.

Sebastian Cobb

Depends.

Try not to drink in the week, tend to get pissed at the weekends if I'm not on call, but will still put a bottle of wine back on a Friday/Saturday if I am. Can do everything remotely and clock off at 11 anyway so it's fine.

However this week I'm probably going to drink every night. using holiday before it rolls over, folks visiting, meeting a mate and comedy tonight, might as well play through.

Emma Raducanu

I've almost cut drink out entirely. My drinking has always been rather habitual.

A few years ago when we first bought our house with a beautiful garden, I absolutely loved having a beer while cooking, then another while washing up and looking out the window.

We used to go out about 4 nights a week to, just for drinks with friends and I'd have the equivalent of about 300ml vodka each evening.

Then we started going out for Sunday lunch somewhere different each week and part of the experience would involve quaffing 2-3 pints of fine ale.

Since January, I've been smashing the gym and eating low glycemic carbohydrates and complete proteins and drinking doesn't fit into this life style.

I had 2 weeks holiday last month and went off the rails a bit and had a good few bottles of beer which just upset me. Off the beer again until summer holidays when I'll be nailing beer in the sun like a rabid alcoholic.

Norton Canes

My ageing body has developed a perfect defence against imbibing copious amounts of alcohol: proper hangovers after so much as a couple of pints. It's just not worth the pain any more. Plus I'm still benefiting from the residual effects of a dry January - my body just hasn't re-learned how to drink yet. Like Dolphinface though I'm sure I'll be back up to par by the time the summer kicks in if the fucking summer ever kicks in

Rolf Lundgren

A couple of beers a week, if that, but when on holiday or during days off I'll drink most days. Rarely wine or spirits though, always beer/lager.

After a Guinness last week I noticed that I started sneezing and felt like I had a cold. It happens sometimes after drinking beer too so I'm probably getting allergic to barley or something which is going to make me drink less.

Drink mainly at home because I'm usually designated driver when I go out as most of my mates don't own a car. I don't mind too much but can't drink three pints of Coke Zero.

Quote from: kenneth trousers on March 19, 2019, 06:15:33 PM
I have a job that involves a lot of night work and is safety critical so I can't go to work even slightest amount of alcohol in my system as I'd be instantly sacked/prosecuted. This has the effect of, whilst protecting me from full blown alcoholism, it's done nothing for my binge drinking.

Fucking hell, are you me?

My guess is that you're a railway worker.

Freight driver... killing the overtime at the moment so that's helping in keeping me off the sauce.

Do you work on the railway also NRP?

Emma Raducanu

When you pass another lorry, do you do that thing where you indicate right, then indicate left, then indicate right, then indicate left, then indicate right, then indicate left as a sort of "cheers mate" to the other driver?

Sebastian Cobb

My mate that works on dive kit for offshore days similar about the divers, apart from the fact that spend a while pressurised breathing helox. Stotter off the boat and they're chain smoking and drinking until their leave runs out.

Freight train driver. We wave to each other and the signaller and track workers. It can get a bit tedious, especially at night when you're expected to put your cab light on.

Twit 2

Quote from: kenneth trousers on March 19, 2019, 09:07:28 PMespecially at night when you're expected to put your cab light on.

You'll get sacked for looking at this forum while driving a freight train, mate.

Quote from: kenneth trousers on March 19, 2019, 08:58:08 PM
Freight driver... killing the overtime at the moment so that's helping in keeping me off the sauce.

Do you work on the railway also NRP?

Signal Technical Officer for LUL.

Johnboy

A couple of beers a week for me

I give it up completely for extended periods, thinking of doing another stint now

I may as well, another little step and I can just say i'm teetotal

Noodle Lizard

I'm definitely an alcoholic by definition, but you wouldn't really know it to look at me.  It's quite rare that I'm "drunk", even on nights out.  The most you're likely to see me is tipsy and a bit looser with my inhibitions.  It hasn't really caused any major problems, though I've certainly had mornings where I've wanted to quit.  I get a lot of guilt and overanlyse things I said or did whilst a bit pissed which make me cringe in hindsight, but never seem to really affect anyone negatively.  Getting into an argument or a fight when I'm past that threshold is always a miserable experience, though.  I will always say stuff I regret, and it's hard to convince anyone it was the drink talking since I remain pretty composed externally.  I remember after a fight with my wife, and it should tell you something that she was saying "Don't blame it on alcohol, you'd only had seven beers!"

I mostly only drink beer as well.  Luckily I don't really like cocktails or spirits in general anymore, and wine gives me a headache.  So it's just a fairly steady stream of mid-strength beer, only rarely resulting in proper inebriation, but it's consistent throughout the day if I'm able - morning to night.  My tolerance is high, especially compared to LA-dwellers.  To me, it acts a bit like an antidepressant or anti-anxiety medication might.

I was forced to think about it a lot some time last year.  My wife has a history of addiction and had recently re-introduced "social drinking" when I met her.  It didn't seem so bad, since she rarely drank alone, could go a few days without with no problem, seemed to be able to hold her own.  It soon materialized that she was a binger - once she started, you couldn't stop her - and once she got past a certain point it was game over.  Blackouts, anger outbursts, getting into dangerous situations etc.  The worst, but it was sneaky, and it took a while for people to associate that behavior with drinking since she rarely seemed overtly drunk.  There would be entire arguments we'd have where I couldn't understand why she was behaving the way she was, only to realise later that she'd been blacked-out and would have little-to-no recollection of it the following morning.  I'd never seen that with anyone before, it's quite terrifying, and having to explain to them what they did, what they said - it sounds like you're making it up, because the person sat there before you doesn't even seem remotely capable of it anymore.

Granted, this all coincided with a lot of turmoil and emotional issues in her life, which certainly exacerbated the symptoms, but ultimately you get a picture of someone who isn't in control of their drinking.  So, after a few unsuccessful attempts, I finally convinced her to stop: a me or the drink type thing.  Coming from me!  I am the drink!  I could easily be seen as an enabler, because I never felt right telling her to tone it down or whatever when I was still shoving a twelve-pack down me each day.  So naturally, I offered to stop with her.  Which I did, for a good ... month or so.  And not even that, really.  I did have a sneaky few beers when she wasn't around - nothing noticeable.  I convinced myself it was to ward off any withdrawal symptoms.  Then we were in New Orleans on holiday and she noticed that I was a bit glum about being in all these amazing bars, unable to have a beer unless they had some vile non-alcoholic concoction on offer.  Not outwardly saying anything, I think she could sense a wistfulness in me, and probably felt a bit guilty that I'd had to stop on her account.  So she just said "Honestly, thank you, but I prefer it when you're able to drink", and after a bit of back and forth, that was that.  Since then, she's commented occasionally that she can tell when I've not had a beer in a while and enjoys my company better when I have.  Sort of like coffee with some people, I suppose.

So it's an addiction, but not especially destructive.  I go through short periods of uncertainty about it, and I'm still not certain, and I'm sure many would see it as a problem.  But it does work for me, at least for now.

tl;dr - about five or six cans on a normal day

Emma Raducanu

If I have even one beer in the afternoon, I'm on my arse and desperately need to sleep straight after.

remedial_gash

Only drink once a month, unfortunately that tends to last a week.Record binge was 8 bottles of vodka, 7 bottles of wine and 6 3l bottles of blue cider. Needless to say I didn't have the last laugh. Bit of bleeding, thought I puked blood, but it was nasal - trying to cut down so this weekend was just two voddies and two wines.

salr

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on March 20, 2019, 09:53:43 AMonce she started, you couldn't stop her

I'm a he, but this is it.

As long as I don't start I'm fine, but I cannot stop once I get going.

I have come to in a police cell with no recollection of how I got there.

Other time friends have been stand-offish with me for no reason.

Longest binge I went on was 22 days. My local shop does 3 bottles of white for £10. I only stopped then because I ran out of money.

Have fitted once that I know of. Have vomited blood; that led to feeling so weak I couldn't stand up for more than 5s.

Whenever I am tempted to drink I try to picture how bad it can get, usually that is enough to put me off starting again.

NOT TODAY LOL

remedial_gash

salr

Quote from: remedial_gash on March 20, 2019, 06:31:40 PM
same dude, sucks

You drinking tonight?

I am down 3l of cider and it has barely touched the sides.

How do I stop? (lol)?

remedial_gash

Quote from: salr on March 20, 2019, 06:40:17 PM
You drinking tonight?

I am down 3l of cider and it has barely touched the sides.

How do I stop? (lol)?

Half a bottle of vokda - 4 cans in fridge. Think only option is some formal stuff.Don't like AA but other options available.

remedial_gash

salr

Quote from: remedial_gash on March 20, 2019, 08:00:33 PM
please keep safe.

I will stay safe as long as you do mate. what are you drinking tonight?

How do I get out of this? there is no reverse gear is there?

Where is the out?

remedial_gash

When buying booze met a drug dealer offered weed and coke - declined, going to push through, sickness and misery - till next time.

remedial_gash

not a huge out, stength of will? I am weak.

Hugely inappropriate time to post this given the conversation above, and my lack of empathy disturbs me, but I don't drink anything because I'm very tight and water comes out of the taps for free. Alcohol has also never made me feel better. Drinking it seems to be illogical.

gib

Quote from: Poisson Du Jour on March 20, 2019, 10:09:14 PM
Hugely inappropriate time to post this given the conversation above, and my lack of empathy disturbs me, but I don't drink anything because I'm very tight and water comes out of the taps for free. Alcohol has also never made me feel better. Drinking it seems to be illogical.

I believe this was addressed in the first post.

pancreas

Quote from: Poisson Du Jour on March 20, 2019, 10:09:14 PM

Philistine! It tastes wonderful in all its forms except southern comfort.

Bazooka

What's this thread about, I'm too bladdered to read any of the Latin.