Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:04:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

How much alcohol do you drink?

Started by holyzombiejesus, March 19, 2019, 12:38:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McFlymo

I clearly drink too much.
I think it's mainly because I can put away quite a lot of booze (#humblebrag / #hahaALCOHOLISM)...

I've been trying to teach myself to moderate, recently, but it seems I am still shite at that.
Although I have managed to not drink 2.5 bottles of wine per sesh and whittled it down to 1 (and maybe a can of cider or two), or 1.5 bottles of wine per sesh, so that is an improvement

I've also noticed that I'm not so keen on getting totally black out drunk anymore, not seeing the appeal of feeling so miserable for several days and not remembering any of the partying / release that I apparently crave so much.

I put it down to hating my job a bit too.

I go to therapy (a proper therapist what charges a lot of money and shit) and she doesn't seem to think my drinking is out of hand, but I can't tell if this is a) because I play it down a bit b) she actually does think it's bad, but wants to encourage me to make my own mistakes rather than rely on her "permission" / judgement or c) she just doesn't care and isn't very good at her job, or d) it's actually not out of hand, because I have many periods in my past of just stopping drinking altogether for long periods of time....

It's all a bit strange. I certainly love getting drunk and love talking shit with people after a few drinks and at the moment, hating my job and having few friends, the drink seems to be a nice thing to rely on now and then, but I'm not sure this is the right road to be going down.

I reckon I am getting (marginally) better at moderation though. (or am I just on a slippery slope again??)

Sigh.

EDIT: New page. Buy me a pint!!

Ferris

A very reasonable amount for the last few years, and increasingly curtailed. Dry since Jan 1 (albeit with three exceptions - I'm only human).

Leaving the UK helped a lot. It's one of the cultural things I find jarring about being in Britain - everyone is pissed all the time, and there's always an excuse to drink if you want to. There's always cheap wine in everyone's fridge and we can go to the pub for lunchtime pints, few tins for the evening waheyy. You could be a functioning alcoholic in plain sight, and I don't think anyone would really notice.

Cloud

Very true on the British culture factor.  Honestly I think it's fairly understandable as a pretty dull and miserable place (hits home when you see the rich cultures and sheer beauty of other countries) and alcohol does a lot to artificially add some sort of colour, reason to get together, and stops us all topping ourselves.  Maybe it's just my area of course (it's grim up north)

But yeah a few worrying things said in thread, do take care of yourselves and don't be afraid to ask for help if your drinking is taking over

Admittedly I'm off work for a week and 2 days, so will be getting on with a nice curry washed down with 4 or 5 pints tonight in celebration

Janie Jones

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on March 21, 2019, 03:41:41 AM
. It's one of the cultural things I find jarring about being in Britain - everyone is pissed all the time, and there's always an excuse to drink if you want to.
Quote from: Cloud on March 21, 2019, 03:20:53 PM
Very true on the British culture factor.  Honestly I think it's fairly understandable as a pretty dull and miserable place (hits home when you see the rich cultures and sheer beauty of other countries) and alcohol does a lot to artificially add some sort of colour, reason to get together, and stops us all topping ourselves.

Not having this.  Are narrow-horizoned Little Englanders too ignorant to do anything other than crack a tinny or pour a cold glass of Chardonnay while watching Countdown because they haven't TRRRAAAVVVVVELLLED?  According to Wiki, UK is the 25th most heavy-drinking country, below France, Germany, Australia and Ireland.

Icehaven

Quote from: Poisson Du Jour on March 20, 2019, 10:09:14 PMwater comes out of the taps for free.

Where do you live where this happens?

ASFTSN

Quote from: Janie Jones on March 21, 2019, 04:41:27 PM
Not having this.  Are narrow-horizoned Little Englanders too ignorant to do anything other than crack a tinny or pour a cold glass of Chardonnay while watching Countdown because they haven't TRRRAAAVVVVVELLLED?  According to Wiki, UK is the 25th most heavy-drinking country, below France, Germany, Australia and Ireland.

On the other hand, guilt and self-loathing about ourselves and our lifestyles are undeniably national qualities for us.

bgmnts

On the other hand, having lived in south Wales for 26 years, the fact i'm not an alcoholic is pretty incredible.

remedial_gash

25th but some of us drink way too much, disproportionally so.

bgmnts

It's the binge drinking that gets us isn't it?

A glass of wine or two a night is much better than smashing 12 pints and the jager on a saturday night.

Snake Plissken

Usually had four cans per week. Two Friday night, two Saturday night.

Ferris

No... I don't follow your point about little englanders? I'm not having a pop, but it is one of the things that sticks out whenever I'm there.

See also: ubiquity of non-chain fried chicken shops, homicidal driving/road-crossing, markedly better bookshops.

wosl

One bottle of German/Belgian beer per week (Sat or Sun).

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Running a few countries through my head: Portugal, France, Germany, Italy, Czechia, beautiful countries and still commonplace habitual heavy drinking. Almost like there's more to drinking than getting pissed and more to getting pissed than being pissed.

Avril Lavigne

On average about 50 beers a week, but I'm trying to cut down to only drinking on weekends.  I play in a band and do a weekly pub quiz so I'm rarely more than a few feet away from a bar, but when I am I'm usually at home where I enjoy drinking even more.

Mr Banlon

Had twinges on my left side, and chest pains around October. Seeing as I'm in my late 40s and my dad died of a heart attack when he was 44, I thought I better go to the doctors.
Got sent for blood tests. Not my heart, not diabetes, good blood pressure, but got the red flag on my liver.
Sent for follow up tests (all the Heps, HIV etc)
Went back to the doctors for the results and she asked if I'd ever gone yellow. I said no. She was surprised because my liver is only just about functioning. Apparently my liver is covered in fat because of my alcohol consumption. She said if I didn't stop, I was going to die. (I think she was over-doing a bit to shit me up)
Anyway, got sent for an ultrasound. My liver looks like a fucking Parmo.
I wasn't caning the booze, but definitely drinking more than I should have been. Thirty-odd years of that all adds up.
Haven't had a drink since Jan 2nd. I wasn't an alkie (I just stopped drinking no problem, no craving), but I fucking loved a good drink.

PowerButchi

8-10 pints of 4%+ ale  5 times a week. On two of those occasions it'll be closer 15-20 pints.

Dead by 40.

Quote from: icehaven on March 21, 2019, 05:34:40 PM
Where do you live where this happens?

The money from the water bill spent on drinking water must be pennies compared to shower, toilet, washing machine, washing dishes. It's effectively free.

Cloud

Quote from: Mr Banlon on March 21, 2019, 07:47:56 PM
Had twinges on my left side, and chest pains around October. Seeing as I'm in my late 40s and my dad died of a heart attack when he was 44, I thought I better go to the doctors.
Got sent for blood tests. Not my heart, not diabetes, good blood pressure, but got the red flag on my liver.
Sent for follow up tests (all the Heps, HIV etc)
Went back to the doctors for the results and she asked if I'd ever gone yellow. I said no. She was surprised because my liver is only just about functioning. Apparently my liver is covered in fat because of my alcohol consumption. She said if I didn't stop, I was going to die. (I think she was over-doing a bit to shit me up)
Anyway, got sent for an ultrasound. My liver looks like a fucking Parmo.
I wasn't caning the booze, but definitely drinking more than I should have been. Thirty-odd years of that all adds up.
Haven't had a drink since Jan 2nd. I wasn't an alkie (I just stopped drinking no problem, no craving), but I fucking loved a good drink.

Fucking hell, no they're not kidding when they say stuff like that.

Best of luck

I know I get flippant with this stuff on here, but underneath I think you cunt.s are alright and don't want to see  you destroy yourselves.  Take care

hummingofevil

I'm definitely a one-is-too-many, two-is-not-enough kind of drinker.

My problem is that I absolutely love drinking by myself and just sticking the headphones in and spending a few hours on youtube. I consider it a pleasure above all others and probably get properly pissed once a week and maybe a couple of other nights where I'll have a few in front of the TV or whatnot. Reading this thread is pretty weird as the thought of being able to drink one beer or half a bottle of wine seems to be a pointless exercise in restraint but also there is no way I could drink an entire bottle of spirits in one sitting.

Actually, was thinking this the other day and didn't get an answer. When you see people drinking bottles of prosecco on the way to a day drinking at the races or all the stags and hens we get up here in the toon or kids pre-loading with their spirits is the only reason they don't pass out is because everyone is doing coke?

If I had 10 pints I would be absolutely fucked crawling around the floor but my 70 year old father in law can easily do that if he goes up to Ayr with the club. Maybe they just water all the beer down too. I remember being in Reading Festival in mid-2000s and it was practically impossible to get pissed as they only served Carling and to drink enough to actually get pissed you would have to drink 8 pints of Carling which means that you are very fucking bored of drinking fucking Carling by that point so you just don't bother.

ToneLa

Quote from: hummingofevil on March 22, 2019, 01:53:43 AM
Actually, was thinking this the other day and didn't get an answer. When you see people drinking bottles of prosecco on the way to a day drinking at the races or all the stags and hens we get up here in the toon or kids pre-loading with their spirits is the only reason they don't pass out is because everyone is doing coke?

I assume so. It takes a dedicated effort to get me flying and I can sustain it but I don't get all that hyper, hooting-and-a-hollering, heave-ho way the messy races cunts do.

Bit of Tokyo is surely de rigeur at these events? Dress up like the 1% (who despise you btw) with tiaras and strapons and watch horses die; few toots of lemonade, magic.

Of course, they might be that naturally insufferable to be confused for coked up, in which cause I applaud... from behind a nearby bin

Sebastian Cobb

As I've moaned about before, work pipes capital fm into the bogs. They've got ads on at the moment that says the current advice is to not exceed 14 units over 3 days.

If I go to the pub chances are I'll do that in an evening.

Blinder Data

Quote from: salr on March 20, 2019, 08:06:38 PM
I will stay safe as long as you do mate. what are you drinking tonight?

How do I get out of this? there is no reverse gear is there?

Where is the out?

There absolutely is a reverse gear. I don't speak from experience but people manage to get themselves out of this situation intact. DukeDeMondo wrote very movingly on this subject.

Best of luck

Utter Shit

One of the minor upsides of having ongoing problems with depression and anxiety is that I barely drink any more, as I'm so wary of doing anything that might affect my mindstate. I still have the occasional drink or two, maybe once or twice a month, and on very rare occasions I'll get drunk - though not hammered - maybe two or three times a year on big nights out, weddings etc. I haven't been properly smashed since Christmas a couple of years ago, where a heavy night led to a week or so of severe anxiety. It fucked me up so badly I pretty much ruled that out as something I could ever let happen again.

ToneLa

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on March 22, 2019, 10:06:57 AM
As I've moaned about before, work pipes capital fm into the bogs. They've got ads on at the moment that says the current advice is to not exceed 14 units over 3 days.

If I go to the pub chances are I'll do that in an evening.

Fucking hell, sitting here imagining listening to Capital FM... I need a fucking drink!!

Cuellar

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on March 21, 2019, 03:41:41 AM
Britain - everyone is pissed all the time, and there's always an excuse to drink if you want to.

fucking magic int it

idunnosomename

As long as you're not pouring whiskey on your cornflakes, all's well