Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:35:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The OA Season 2

Started by SteveDave, March 19, 2019, 01:38:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveDave

I can not wait to hate-watch the fuck out of this.

A psychiatrist would say that I love Brit Marling but really I don't. She boils my blood AND piss.

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/on-demand/2019-03-19/the-oa-season-2-netflix-release-date-cast-plot-theories-trailer/

The first half of the first series I liked but then the contemporary dancing started and I lost it.

Mister Six

Brit Marling and her co-conspirator are the worst kind of utterly mediocre pretentious rich artist who gets to make their shit art because they were born into a life of wealth and connections. The OA infuriates me. Even more that it's so fucking boring. Can't even hate-watch it. So I'll just wait for a supercut of all the shittiest bits when it finishes.

SteveDave

QuoteIn the summer of 2009 she joined a group of freegans with friend and co-worker Zal Batmanglij, living in tents and retrieving food from dumpsters, to explore how other young people were constructing a meaningful life.

...while being able to live off mum and dad whilst living in LA and turning down roles in horror films because she:

Quote"wanted to be able to cast herself in roles that wouldn't require her to play the typical parts offered to young actresses, the perfunctory girlfriend or a crime victim."

Choking on my own bile here.

Ja'moke

I loved the first series of this, contemporary dancing and all.

chveik

Quote from: Mister Six on March 19, 2019, 03:08:10 PM
Brit Marling and her co-conspirator are the worst kind of utterly mediocre pretentious rich artist who gets to make their shit art because they were born into a life of wealth and connections. The OA infuriates me. Even more that it's so fucking boring. Can't even hate-watch it. So I'll just wait for a supercut of all the shittiest bits when it finishes.

I rather liked it myself. was this post really necessary?

Mister Six

Is anything really necessary?

By all means enjoy the show, but I felt my comments were essentially in line with the OP's view. If he'd been massively excited I would have toned it down a bit.

SteveDave

Yeah, come on everyone pile on Brit Marling.

Sin Agog

I really liked the first series, too, with all its tweeness and stylistic lurches.  I love the idea of dimensional dancing.  I mean, all of this entertanment guff we fritter our lives on is really just silly play-acting, so why not lean into it with a good old dimensional dance? 

Moribunderast

For the Marling dislikers: have you seen any of her films? I enjoyed The OA (though the ending was a bit pants) but I've loved her other stuff, particularly Sound Of My Voice. Thought that was a great little mystery/thriller. Another Earth and The East both very good and I Origins decent enough. I'm just curious if it's The OA that turned (some) people off her or if it's her entire career. The stuff about her personal life and whatnot is just the sorta shit you mock if you don't like someone's work but can overlook if you do, in my experience.

phantom_power

The Sound of My Voice is great and the OA was flawed but interesting. I don't give a shit how much money her parents have

Vitalstatistix

I don't understand what's so bad about an actor turning down generic horror film parts in order to focus on more atypical female character roles. Isn't that what we'd want from an artist?

I thought the OA was very, very silly, but also ambitious, arresting and even sublime in places.

SteveDave

Quote from: Moribunderast on March 20, 2019, 04:23:00 AM
For the Marling dislikers: have you seen any of her films? I enjoyed The OA (though the ending was a bit pants) but I've loved her other stuff, particularly Sound Of My Voice. Thought that was a great little mystery/thriller. Another Earth and The East both very good and I Origins decent enough. I'm just curious if it's The OA that turned (some) people off her or if it's her entire career. The stuff about her personal life and whatnot is just the sorta shit you mock if you don't like someone's work but can overlook if you do, in my experience.

I've seen "Another Earth" and laughed heartily when I discovered the main actor man was Tom Cruise's less successful brother. The bit where the scientist is talking to her other self on Earth 2 was good though.

I just don't like her whole neo-hippie thing, living as a "freegan" whilst having mom and dad to fall back on when it all gets too much. Slumming it so she can feel what the poor people feel.

Ja'moke

Quote from: SteveDave on March 20, 2019, 10:10:28 AM
I've seen "Another Earth" and laughed heartily when I discovered the main actor man was Tom Cruise's less successful brother. The bit where the scientist is talking to her other self on Earth 2 was good though.

I just don't like her whole neo-hippie thing, living as a "freegan" whilst having mom and dad to fall back on when it all gets too much. Slumming it so she can feel what the poor people feel.

So it's not about the work, you just don't like the actors' personal lives?

Maybe you should have made a Brit Marling thread, rather than an OA thread.

SteveDave

Haven't seen the OA as Another Earth put me off Marling for life, absolute shit with the main character being a complete dick without the film realising it.

Custard

That bloke isn't Tom Cruise's brother. He's his cousin! Huuuuge difference

I loved Another Earth and Sound Of My Voice. I really like Brit Marling. And I like that her co-writer has Batman in his name

The OA I never finished. Not cos I disliked it really, but I kinda forgot about it. Didn't find it very interesting. But cos of this lovely thread I'm gonna finish it....RIGHT NOW

SteveDave

Quote from: Shameless Custard on March 21, 2019, 08:46:57 AM
That bloke isn't Tom Cruise's brother. He's his cousin! Huuuuge difference

Well, this changes everything.

Quote from: Shameless Custard on March 21, 2019, 08:46:57 AM
The OA I never finished. Not cos I disliked it really, but I kinda forgot about it. Didn't find it very interesting. But cos of this lovely thread I'm gonna finish it....RIGHT NOW

Welcome to Hell.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Is it a prequel to The OC?

Rev+

Quote from: Vitalstatistix on March 20, 2019, 07:45:06 AMI thought the OA was very, very silly, but also ambitious, arresting and even sublime in places.

Pretty much my thoughts on the first series.  By the end it didn't feel like it had added up to a whole lot, but it had been an interesting journey.  I get why a lot of people ditched the thing as soon as the 'movements' started happening because that really is an idea that works better on the page.

The second run is better-paced and more straightforward in a lot of ways, but more batshit crackers in others.  It feels a bit like an entire series of the final episode of the Twin Peaks revival, and the ending has a similar feeling of working both as a conclusion, or a springboard to something even stranger should it continue.  You *will* roll your eyes, but you will want another series.

Sin Agog

Jason Isaacs said something on This Morning about Marling and Batman having a plan for seven seasons' worth of stories, with each season being their own unique take on a particular genre (this one being a noirish detective story).

Only an episode into S2 so far, but digging it.  Feels jest a little bit more homogenous right now, like OA's jumped into a slightly more straightforward dimension (which would probably be the case if Biden had been elected president), but everything I've read makes me think tasty weirdness ensues.

Sin Agog

Couldn't sleep so got up to the end of ep 4, and it's much better in most ways, replacing some of the naval-gazing tweeness with...well, I forget how to do spoiler text so I'll just trail off here instead, but it's a worthy trade-off.  It's still no TP:S3 or anything, but I'm very impressed with everything but one issue.  Whenever the Scooby Gang Prairie assembled in the first season get together, they feel like dead weight, especially compared to the deliciously trippy shit Prairie gets up to.  Really like the new P.I. geezer as well.

phantom_power

Watched the first one last night and really enjoyed it. It is quite brave to have pretty much a completely new cast of characters with a fairly long delay until you see how it all links to the first season. A few new interesting actors thrown into the mix as well

SteveDave

Quote from: Sin Agog on March 25, 2019, 12:26:02 AM
Jason Isaacs said something on This Morning about Marling and Batman...

I stopped reading after this and just imagined such a thing.

Sin Agog

Quote from: SteveDave on March 25, 2019, 05:09:06 PM
I stopped reading after this and just imagined such a thing.

According to unverified reports, Season 3 will be their take on the superhero genre.  It'll be pretty similar to the DC and Marvelverse, except they're now named Supermanglij, Spidermanglij, Wonderwomanglij etc.

EDIT: Just finished the last ep.  Wonder if the ending was a conscious Holy Mountain reference.

Vitalstatistix

Quote from: Sin Agog on March 25, 2019, 05:04:48 AM
Couldn't sleep so got up to the end of ep 4, and it's much better in most ways, replacing some of the naval-gazing tweeness with...well, I forget how to do spoiler text so I'll just trail off here instead, but it's a worthy trade-off.  It's still no TP:S3 or anything, but I'm very impressed with everything but one issue.  Whenever the Scooby Gang Prairie assembled in the first season get together, they feel like dead weight, especially compared to the deliciously trippy shit Prairie gets up to.  Really like the new P.I. geezer as well.

Agreed! Really enjoying the trippy madness. But Phyllis and the scooby bunch are annoying as fuck and it's like they're from a totally different show at this point. Here's hoping they dance themselves to death.

phantom_power

I really enjoyed this season, more than the first I would say. That ending was fucking great as well. I am sure some will roll their eyes but I am really looking forward to the next season now to see what madness lies ahead

McFlymo

I am going to finish season 1, tonight. I was going to jump ship after the very odd moment when yer woman offered the guys in the van $50k for the young lad and they a) didn't simply drive round her because they'd already figured she was "batshit" b) even though she's "batshit", they just decided to trust her word that the cheque was real.

Judging by the reviews of season 2, from y'all, I think I'll stick with it.

McFlymo

Season 2: Episode 1.... Things are getting juicy!! So far, this is great!

mrfridge

Up to the fourth ep of season 2 and I'm digging it hard. Without spoiling anything there's some genuinely surprising and just plain odd stuff going on in this episode. I hope it can sustain this quality right the way through the run.

I wonder how likely it is they'll get the full set of 5 (or is it 7?) seasons commissioned on Netflix?Anyone any ideas on how well it's doing? With Netflix are there any 'figures' or indicators even available?

phantom_power

I think Netflix work on "buzz" as much as viewing figures and I think The OA gets a fair bit of that. There is no word of a third season yet. It has an amazing cast, getting the likes of Zendaya and Riz Ahmed for what are basically bit parts, and Vincent Kartheiser for pretty much one scene