Author Topic: Cycling 2019 (incorporating your own bike chat)  (Read 547 times)

Norton Canes

• The leper heart will see you for what you are
Cycling 2019 (incorporating your own bike chat)
« on: March 19, 2019, 02:56:36 PM »
Team Phone-Hacking become Team Brexit

In 2015, [Ineos founder Jim Ratcliffe] said the UK could thrive outside the European Union. "The Brits are perfectly capable of managing the Brits and don't need Brussels telling them how to manage things," he said.

gilbertharding

• Not even the rudest man in the Beatles
Re: Cycling 2019 (incorporating your own bike chat)
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 04:09:42 PM »
I wonder if you'll see many Ineos Full Kit Wankers on the nation's flatter A Roads on sunny Sundays, beer gut rubbing on the top tube of their Pinarellos...

Not knowing what an Ineos is might be a handicap to it getting the recognition of Sky.

Speaking of which, I was on a building site yesterday and was suddenly distracted by the sight of a tube of Soudal mastic. That logo looks familiar, I thought... (I haven't come across any Quick Step flooring in the wild yet, but often spot Mapei products out and about).

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 04:33:38 PM »
Shitting hell, haven't been out on the bike since October according to Strava. Got to be my longest off period ever.

gilbertharding

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 05:02:29 PM »
I have managed one ride this year. Unfortunately whenever I've had the time to do more it's either been madly windy or wet. I'll force myself out now I don't seem to be able to run anymore.

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 05:09:42 PM »
Been a lot of creaking and clicking on my bike recently. i thought the saddle might be the source so took it off last night, cleaned the screws and oiled them. Went to put it back on this morning to go to work and I can't get the fucker on. Why is it so fiddly? I'm sure I've done it before no bother.

Had to go in, get changed and walk it in the end, so was late. I'm alright at riding but so so shit at maintenance.

gilbertharding

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2019, 05:19:20 PM »
Does anyone watch the GCN channel on the youtube?

They've just done a series on 'Cheap Bike to Superbike', where they bought a USPS Replica Trek off Ebay and ruined it turned it into a 'superbike' by spraying it with aerosol paint and fitting it out with Shimano 105 components.

Shit paint job aside (not to mention '105') it was quite inspirational. All I need now is a stand and a torque wrench and I could do that I reckon.

Norton Canes

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2019, 11:36:09 AM »
Not quite sure what to read into this!

Team Sky's switch to Team Ineos risks predictability

You're looking at an almost impenetrable wall of money. You can basically go buy all the best riders. The question for the sport is if they are all on one team, is it fun for spectators to watch?

If you think of it in terms of chess, it's essentially like you're buying more queens. Dave Brailsford has five or six queens on the team. Most teams can only afford one queen

Norton Canes

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2019, 04:30:55 PM »
Sending out an SOS

Crashed my Langster yesterday, skidded in wet. NOT HURT repeat NOT HURT, but rear wheel buckled so replacement required.

Took the damaged wheel to the LBS as they would know what to order, they had a look, did a bit of mechanic-style teeth sucking and told me it wasn't a regular wheel they could get from their usual suppliers, I'd have to look for myself. They're written down that it's a 700c fixie wheel with 130mm hub spacing and a solid axle. It's got a single speed hub. The 16t sprocket I can obviously swap over from the old wheel.

Did some Googling and got loads of possibles but TBH not sure if they're going to be completely compatible. Want to not spend much really as it's only my commute. Found these but don't need a set.

Er, so. Anyone able to link to something that will fit? Will send more details if necessary, pic of old wheel etc.

Thanks.

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2019, 04:41:32 PM »
What a shit LBS

Norton Canes

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2019, 04:44:30 PM »
Yeah. It's not like they had a chance to make a profit or display great customer service or anything.

Couple of other shops to go but thought I'd try the CaB cog-noscenti.

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2019, 04:56:37 PM »
I’m only able to advise on mtb freehubs sorry.

buzby

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2019, 11:11:56 PM »
Sending out an SOS

Crashed my Langster yesterday, skidded in wet. NOT HURT repeat NOT HURT, but rear wheel buckled so replacement required.

Took the damaged wheel to the LBS as they would know what to order, they had a look, did a bit of mechanic-style teeth sucking and told me it wasn't a regular wheel they could get from their usual suppliers, I'd have to look for myself. They're written down that it's a 700c fixie wheel with 130mm hub spacing and a solid axle. It's got a single speed hub. The 16t sprocket I can obviously swap over from the old wheel.

Did some Googling and got loads of possibles but TBH not sure if they're going to be completely compatible. Want to not spend much really as it's only my commute. Found these but don't need a set.

Er, so. Anyone able to link to something that will fit? Will send more details if necessary, pic of old wheel etc.

Thanks.
There's no URL in your link.

SJS have got a Ryde 130mm S/S rear wheel with 36 spokes and a 700c rim .for £60:
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/wheelswheels-rear/0-700c-622-rear-wheel-36h-ryde-racer-black-rim-w-nutted-solid-axle-fixed-silver-hub-w-16t-sprocket/
Or this one with a sealed bearing King Kong hub for £65:
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/wheelswheels-rear/700c-622-rear-wheel-36h-high-quality-silver-rim-with-fixedfree-king-kong-219r-rear-track-silver-hub/

Or you can have a pair of wheels with a flip-flop rear hub for £70 on ebay:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WHEELS-700c-Wheelset-Fixie-Flip-Flop-Track-Single-speed-Freewheel-Fixed-BLACK/371906885038?hash=item569760b5ae:g:vdAAAOSwuLZY3RZX

Are there no bike shops that do wheelbuilding near you where  you could get the buckled wheel rebuilt with a new rim?

Ronalado

• RONALADO SCORE FIRST
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2019, 10:41:28 AM »
Ronalado HELP first. have fixed rear wheel for sell or even give - is possible. RONALADO almost certain Langster rear spacing is 120mm. Please PM RONALADO for help.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 10:55:32 AM by Ronalado »

buzby

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2019, 11:47:31 AM »
Ronalado HELP first. have fixed rear wheel for sell or even give - is possible. RONALADO almost certain Langster rear spacing is 120mm. Please PM RONALADO for help.
RONALADO is correct - Langsters have track rear spacing (120mm), in which case the bike shop must be very shite indeed if they can't even measure a hub.
if you don't want to go for RONALADO WHEEL FIRST, there's a bit more of a selection of 120mm S/S 700c wheels on ebay, e.g.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/700c-REAR-TRACK-Mach-Omega-16T-Single-Speed-Fixie-Wheel-Black-Rim-Black-Spokes/312267966001?epid=2256008055&hash=item48b49f0631:g:03MAAOSwnF9Y7NNu&frcectupt=true
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wilkinson-Track-Wheel-700c-Flip-Flop-32h-30mm-Deep-Section-Rear/123677631906?epid=1812647252&hash=item1ccbc2e5a2:m:m8OajIi5FfXQnQZRClVSOsg&frcectupt=true

Norton Canes

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2019, 10:02:00 PM »
PMs sent to buzby and Ronalado - perhaps Ron's agent should check his account...

I've measured the gap where the hub axle goes BTW, it's 120mm from the insides of the metal.

PlanktonSideburns

• Our love can destroy this whole fucking world
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2019, 11:09:44 PM »
Going to fix the SHIT  out of my bike tommoro then ride the little cunt around the place

Cuellar

• Push off my wire
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2019, 12:08:21 PM »
Ronalado is man of hidden depths

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2019, 03:41:27 PM »
Going to fix the SHIT  out of my bike tommoro then ride the little cunt around the place

I think I might give mine a good service at the weekend. I bought one of those mechanics arm things from lidl a month ago and haven't used it yet.

kngen

• Fighting sleep's deathlike grip
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2019, 03:42:21 AM »
Went for my first proper ride (ie not round the neighbourhood with the wee one) in months. A 10-mile jolly (in better days) that nearly fucking killed me. The motivation to keep doing this is so that I never again feel as wretched as I did when I got home today. A week from now, it will seem a distant, laughable memory, but by christ, half a mile from home I didnt envisage eating solid foods again, let alone repeating the feat in 24 hours. This is the life we choose, I spose ...

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2019, 07:40:15 AM »
Getting back into it with HIIT sessions on the turbo. Very dull but it don’t half ramp your fitness up in quick time. Use a simple free App called Exercise Bike. Sounds shit but it’s just as effective as silly expensive shite like Zwift.