Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:14:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Cycling 2019 (incorporating your own bike chat)

Started by Norton Canes, March 19, 2019, 02:56:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norton Canes

Team Phone-Hacking become Team Brexit

QuoteIn 2015, [Ineos founder Jim Ratcliffe] said the UK could thrive outside the European Union. "The Brits are perfectly capable of managing the Brits and don't need Brussels telling them how to manage things," he said.

gilbertharding

I wonder if you'll see many Ineos Full Kit Wankers on the nation's flatter A Roads on sunny Sundays, beer gut rubbing on the top tube of their Pinarellos...

Not knowing what an Ineos is might be a handicap to it getting the recognition of Sky.

Speaking of which, I was on a building site yesterday and was suddenly distracted by the sight of a tube of Soudal mastic. That logo looks familiar, I thought... (I haven't come across any Quick Step flooring in the wild yet, but often spot Mapei products out and about).

poo

Shitting hell, haven't been out on the bike since October according to Strava. Got to be my longest off period ever.

gilbertharding

I have managed one ride this year. Unfortunately whenever I've had the time to do more it's either been madly windy or wet. I'll force myself out now I don't seem to be able to run anymore.

jobotic

Been a lot of creaking and clicking on my bike recently. i thought the saddle might be the source so took it off last night, cleaned the screws and oiled them. Went to put it back on this morning to go to work and I can't get the fucker on. Why is it so fiddly? I'm sure I've done it before no bother.

Had to go in, get changed and walk it in the end, so was late. I'm alright at riding but so so shit at maintenance.

gilbertharding

Does anyone watch the GCN channel on the youtube?

They've just done a series on 'Cheap Bike to Superbike', where they bought a USPS Replica Trek off Ebay and ruined it turned it into a 'superbike' by spraying it with aerosol paint and fitting it out with Shimano 105 components.

Shit paint job aside (not to mention '105') it was quite inspirational. All I need now is a stand and a torque wrench and I could do that I reckon.

Norton Canes

Not quite sure what to read into this!

Team Sky's switch to Team Ineos risks predictability

QuoteYou're looking at an almost impenetrable wall of money. You can basically go buy all the best riders. The question for the sport is if they are all on one team, is it fun for spectators to watch?

If you think of it in terms of chess, it's essentially like you're buying more queens. Dave Brailsford has five or six queens on the team. Most teams can only afford one queen

Norton Canes

Sending out an SOS

Crashed my Langster yesterday, skidded in wet. NOT HURT repeat NOT HURT, but rear wheel buckled so replacement required.

Took the damaged wheel to the LBS as they would know what to order, they had a look, did a bit of mechanic-style teeth sucking and told me it wasn't a regular wheel they could get from their usual suppliers, I'd have to look for myself. They're written down that it's a 700c fixie wheel with 130mm hub spacing and a solid axle. It's got a single speed hub. The 16t sprocket I can obviously swap over from the old wheel.

Did some Googling and got loads of possibles but TBH not sure if they're going to be completely compatible. Want to not spend much really as it's only my commute. Found these but don't need a set.

Er, so. Anyone able to link to something that will fit? Will send more details if necessary, pic of old wheel etc.

Thanks.

poo

Norton Canes

Yeah. It's not like they had a chance to make a profit or display great customer service or anything.

Couple of other shops to go but thought I'd try the CaB cog-noscenti.

poo

I'm only able to advise on mtb freehubs sorry.

buzby

Quote from: Norton Canes on April 25, 2019, 04:30:55 PM
Sending out an SOS

Crashed my Langster yesterday, skidded in wet. NOT HURT repeat NOT HURT, but rear wheel buckled so replacement required.

Took the damaged wheel to the LBS as they would know what to order, they had a look, did a bit of mechanic-style teeth sucking and told me it wasn't a regular wheel they could get from their usual suppliers, I'd have to look for myself. They're written down that it's a 700c fixie wheel with 130mm hub spacing and a solid axle. It's got a single speed hub. The 16t sprocket I can obviously swap over from the old wheel.

Did some Googling and got loads of possibles but TBH not sure if they're going to be completely compatible. Want to not spend much really as it's only my commute. Found these but don't need a set.

Er, so. Anyone able to link to something that will fit? Will send more details if necessary, pic of old wheel etc.

Thanks.
There's no URL in your link.

SJS have got a Ryde 130mm S/S rear wheel with 36 spokes and a 700c rim .for £60:
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/wheelswheels-rear/0-700c-622-rear-wheel-36h-ryde-racer-black-rim-w-nutted-solid-axle-fixed-silver-hub-w-16t-sprocket/
Or this one with a sealed bearing King Kong hub for £65:
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/wheelswheels-rear/700c-622-rear-wheel-36h-high-quality-silver-rim-with-fixedfree-king-kong-219r-rear-track-silver-hub/

Or you can have a pair of wheels with a flip-flop rear hub for £70 on ebay:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WHEELS-700c-Wheelset-Fixie-Flip-Flop-Track-Single-speed-Freewheel-Fixed-BLACK/371906885038?hash=item569760b5ae:g:vdAAAOSwuLZY3RZX

Are there no bike shops that do wheelbuilding near you where  you could get the buckled wheel rebuilt with a new rim?

Ronalado

Ronalado HELP first. have fixed rear wheel for sell or even give - is possible. RONALADO almost certain Langster rear spacing is 120mm. Please PM RONALADO for help.

buzby

Quote from: Ronalado on April 26, 2019, 10:41:28 AM
Ronalado HELP first. have fixed rear wheel for sell or even give - is possible. RONALADO almost certain Langster rear spacing is 120mm. Please PM RONALADO for help.
RONALADO is correct - Langsters have track rear spacing (120mm), in which case the bike shop must be very shite indeed if they can't even measure a hub.
if you don't want to go for RONALADO WHEEL FIRST, there's a bit more of a selection of 120mm S/S 700c wheels on ebay, e.g.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/700c-REAR-TRACK-Mach-Omega-16T-Single-Speed-Fixie-Wheel-Black-Rim-Black-Spokes/312267966001?epid=2256008055&hash=item48b49f0631:g:03MAAOSwnF9Y7NNu&frcectupt=true
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wilkinson-Track-Wheel-700c-Flip-Flop-32h-30mm-Deep-Section-Rear/123677631906?epid=1812647252&hash=item1ccbc2e5a2:m:m8OajIi5FfXQnQZRClVSOsg&frcectupt=true

Norton Canes

PMs sent to buzby and Ronalado - perhaps Ron's agent should check his account...

I've measured the gap where the hub axle goes BTW, it's 120mm from the insides of the metal.

PlanktonSideburns

Going to fix the SHIT  out of my bike tommoro then ride the little cunt around the place

Cuellar

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on April 26, 2019, 11:09:44 PM
Going to fix the SHIT  out of my bike tommoro then ride the little cunt around the place

I think I might give mine a good service at the weekend. I bought one of those mechanics arm things from lidl a month ago and haven't used it yet.

kngen

Went for my first proper ride (ie not round the neighbourhood with the wee one) in months. A 10-mile jolly (in better days) that nearly fucking killed me. The motivation to keep doing this is so that I never again feel as wretched as I did when I got home today. A week from now, it will seem a distant, laughable memory, but by christ, half a mile from home I didnt envisage eating solid foods again, let alone repeating the feat in 24 hours. This is the life we choose, I spose ...

poo

Getting back into it with HIIT sessions on the turbo. Very dull but it don't half ramp your fitness up in quick time. Use a simple free App called Exercise Bike. Sounds shit but it's just as effective as silly expensive shite like Zwift.

Norton Canes

Quote from: Norton Canes on February 07, 2019, 01:07:01 PM
So, anyone else missed out on the Prudential 100 ballot? Had an envelope through the post yesterday, all marked up "Prudential 100", thought yes! this is it! 'cause the last couple of years I've been told by email. But no, they're sending out brochures this year with all the rejections with details of which charidees still have spaces.

Oh well. It said the earliest start time slots are 5:45am! I'd have had to be up at 3am to get ready and get across London from my nearest friends' house

Well here's a turn up, just received an email saying I've got a place on the 46-mile version on the same day. Did I really get lucky, or do they have trouble filling places for that one?

Might as well give it a go, ends on the Mall and all that. Costs £46 though and I have to pick up my number and timer from the Prudential RideLondon Cycling Show at the ExceL (E16) the day before. At least the earliest starts are 9am.

Norton Canes

^ Didn't bother too much hassle

Had an hour on the velodrome track at the National Cycling Centre in MCR yesterday though. Fucking brilliant. Who needs roads and hills and weather. Or gears and brakes.

[Edit: Although a freewheel would be nice...]

gilbertharding

Quote from: Norton Canes on July 01, 2019, 10:36:18 AM
^ Didn't bother too much hassle

Had an hour on the velodrome track at the National Cycling Centre in MCR yesterday though. Fucking brilliant. Who needs roads and hills and weather. Or gears and brakes.

[Edit: Although a freewheel would be nice...]

Never done it on an indoor track, but had a couple of sessions at Herne Hill and really enjoyed it. The two sessions I did were an 'induction' and then 'track skills' which was supposed to progress into getting an actual qualification - but I left it there, seeing as it was just a thing to do: I'm not going to be the next Chris Hoy, am I?

I wonder if a freewheel would be as dangerous as brakes once you start getting really close behind the wheels.

Norton Canes

Quote from: gilbertharding on July 01, 2019, 11:43:08 AM
I wonder if a freewheel would be as dangerous as brakes once you start getting really close behind the wheels.

Don't think so - I've chainganged on a flat outdoor track and freewheeled to lose velocity rather than apply brakes. I did get up pretty close to one of the other participants yesterday to see how much difference drafting made and I probably shouldn't because no-one would've been expecting it.

gilbertharding

That's interesting - at Herne Hill almost the first thing they get you doing during the induction (they won't let you use the track at all unless you've done it - although how they enforce it, I don't know) is chaingang/through and off and they make you ride as close to the wheel in front as you can. It does as much for the person in front as anything - you need to keep a steady pace.

The second hour, a week later, we did a lot of 'stack' riding.

A mate has been for a taster at the Olympic velodrome, and beyond the safety chat about what the lines mean, it sounded more like a free-for-all.

You've made me want to book some more sessions now.

Norton Canes

It was a slightly structured sort of free-for-all, yes. First quarter of the hour was clipping in, fixed-wheeled do's and don'ts, how to start and stop etc. Then we did a couple of laps on the apron, then a few more on the cote d'azur, then after a stop we were told to get up to track speed and onto the track itself. The last twenty five odd minutes we were left to ride, rest, whatever. I'd quite like to do the first stage accreditation which includes:

Joining and leaving the track safely as a group
Manouvering on the track in the straights
Riding safely in a line of riders
Changing from front to the back of the line (from "Black line" and "Blue line")
Riding the top of the track (solo)

After that, like you say, unless you're young enough and want to do it competitively, where do you take it? Especially if like me you live over an hour's drive from the centre. I'd like to go with a few mates and see if we can actually race each other.

gilbertharding

I mean, I suppose I could get accredited, and train to get strong and everything, and join a club and go in for age group races, like people do with running. But then I also go running and don't ever enter races (for some reason... don't know why really) - and I don't have a 2 hour round trip to get to a run.

Anyway, on Saturday I took my bike on what I'd planned to be a 120km round trip to the seaside, with predictable results (I got to Herne Bay, having sweated myself to a dry husk, and then struggled to the train station so I could ride back to Chatham in air conditioned comfort and starving hungry).

jobotic

Hardly been cycling at all recently, apart from to work. Need to stop running and get cycling again. Vigo Hill awaits.

Sebastian Cobb

Fixed a puncture and changed the crankset and chain on my bike a couple of weeks ago (left crank was worn and kept loosening), then taking it out on its first ride I must've cycled for all of a minute before getting a nail in my tyre which resulted in 4 more holes needing patched.

buzby

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 01, 2019, 05:17:37 PM
Fixed a puncture and changed the crankset and chain on my bike a couple of weeks ago (left crank was worn and kept loosening), then taking it out on its first ride I must've cycled for all of a minute before getting a nail in my tyre which resulted in 4 more holes needing patched.
Square taper? I remember putting my work (steel) crankarm in the oven to get it further on and shrink-fit it to the axle which helped.

Had a bit of a thigh muscle injury a couple of months ago, and that combined with the recent torrential rain had put me behind in getting the miles in. I've been getting a couple of 20+ mile rides in a week of an evening since and the last three weekends have all netted 50+ milers, and I've finally caved in and booked onto next sunday's Liverpool-Chester Liverpool 50-mile ride through the Mersey Tunnel. Hopefully the weather will hold out for another week.

After that I've got the 45-mile charity ride with work (possibly the slowest I ever ride, as I am the pacemaker and not allowed to go over 13mph) but it might be the last one this year after 15 years due to lack of interest (they started letting people walk an 11 mile section of the route a couple of years ago, and now all the lazy feckers would rather do that instead of riding 30 or 45 miles).