Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:10:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Cycling 2019 (incorporating your own bike chat)

Started by Norton Canes, March 19, 2019, 02:56:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: buzby on July 01, 2019, 09:26:57 PM
Square taper? I remember putting my work (steel) crankarm in the oven to get it further on and shrink-fit it to the axle which helped.

It was, yeah, but it was a bit rounded by the time I took a look at it, there was also a bit of a burr at the top so it was pretty knackered, although plumbers tape seemed to hold it while I waited for my new Sturmey Archer crank to arrive.

Most annoyingly the posh park tool crank extractor I bought turned out to be useless, hitting the inside of the arm before touching the axle.

buzby

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 01, 2019, 10:59:04 PM
Most annoyingly the posh park tool crank extractor I bought turned out to be useless, hitting the inside of the arm before touching the axle.
The cheapo Cyclo one I have has a removable cap on the centre driver and with it taken off it's a few mm smaller than the square bore of the arm (the larger diameter cap is for spline BB axles). Last time I used it though it just tore the threads out of the cheapo alloy crankarm rather than pulling it off the axle so I ended up having to hacksaw it off and buy a new arm.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: buzby on July 01, 2019, 11:33:54 PM
The cheapo Cyclo one I have has a removable cap on the centre driver and with it taken off it's a few mm smaller than the square bore of the arm (the larger diameter cap is for spline BB axles). Last time I used it though it just tore the threads out of the cheapo alloy crankarm rather than pulling it off the axle so I ended up having to hacksaw it off and buy a new arm.

This had a cap as well, but it was actually the inner thread that was hitting the inside of the crank before the pin touched the axle. I ended up putting a screw in there to bridge the gap, which worked but also snapped the central pin off, making the tool even more useless. Still, it got it off.

gilbertharding

Quote from: jobotic on July 01, 2019, 05:16:47 PM
Hardly been cycling at all recently, apart from to work. Need to stop running and get cycling again. Vigo Hill awaits.

Blimey - Vigo Hill has defeated me every time I've tried it. I've heard that if you can get to the bridge you've made it - but I never have. And last time I attempted Thurnham, my chain came off on the hairpin, and I only just managed to unclip in time. Nasty!

jobotic

Vigo defeated me last time but I was cold and knackered after getting lost on a sportive in the pissing rain. Probably got no chance at the moment but I've done it two or three times in the past. And it's true about the bridge. Trouble is you've already had a long drag to get to the bottom of it, have to take that bit slowly.

BlodwynPig

BBC Tour de France coverage

Rob Hayles bemoaning the lack of quality from all but ARE BRAVE BOYS Ineos Team

QuoteThe way the other teams beside Team Ineos rode in stage 10 was lacklustre.

But, oh look - quality live texting from BBC 'journalist' Jack Skelton moments before

QuoteThis is the 19th time a Tour de France stage has finished.

gilbertharding

Don't most people agree that Ineos were one of the only teams to anticipate, and then have the strength to exploit, the crosswinds?

And Jack Skelton (no idea who he is) seems to have deleted that tweet - perhaps he pressed 'send' too soon.

Me? I don't like the new guy they have on ITV4 instead of Chris Boardman. His hair is taking the piss for starters.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: gilbertharding on July 17, 2019, 04:17:29 PM
Don't most people agree that Ineos were one of the only teams to anticipate, and then have the strength to exploit, the crosswinds?

And Jack Skelton (no idea who he is) seems to have deleted that tweet - perhaps he pressed 'send' too soon.

Me? I don't like the new guy they have on ITV4 instead of Chris Boardman. His hair is taking the piss for starters.

Ineos predicted the crosswinds due to doping

Jim_MacLaine

Have been cycling every night for the last two weeks after seeing one of Limmy's nighttime cycles. Just to get fit really and there's hardly any traffic bout around 10. Loads of cats and foxes to avoid though. I've got my cheapo bike set up just right and so it's a joy to ride.

Had a look at a few mountain biking vids on youtube specifically the Megaavalanche races and was wondering how come they don't slide all over the place on the snow/ice/rubble?

Oh yeah, then I watched some Tour de France guys punching each other which was fun.

buzby

Quote from: Jim_MacLaine on July 17, 2019, 11:36:03 PM
Had a look at a few mountain biking vids on youtube specifically the Megaavalanche races and was wondering how come they don't slide all over the place on the snow/ice/rubble?
They do slide all over the place, but the riders whose helmet cams you are watching are usually the top tier who have developed the skills and reflexes to make the contstant micro-corrections necessary to stay upright. On the soft, slushy snow you find on the glaciers at Alpe d'Huez (Megavalanche) and Deux Alpes (Mountain Of Hell) in the summer when the races are held the key is usually to try and go as fast as possible in a straight line in a riding posiiton that takes most of the weight off the front wheel to stop it digging in.

BlodwynPig

First time ive watched a full day of le tour since 1992. Incroyable. Quadruple allez. Devastating finish but i reckon team Thomas will fight back tomorrow

gilbertharding

We went to watch the British National Crit Champs at Rochester yesterday. Quite exciting - watch it on YouTube - and find out why the runner up Isaac Mundy titled the ride on Strava 'Will buy new pedals with the prize money'.

Norton Canes

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 20, 2019, 07:39:47 PM
First time ive watched a full day of le tour since 1992. Incroyable. Quadruple allez. Devastating finish but i reckon team Thomas will fight back tomorrow

Nice predo. Best TDF I've ever seen so far.

Ant Farm Keyboard

This is definitely the most interesting Tour since the 80s, and I'm not saying this due to a few fellow Frenchmen being for once serious contenders for the win. Usually, a week before the end of the race, we have a clear idea of who the favorite is, and who his most dangerous challenger is and we just have to see if the plan unfolds as predicted. The Indurain then the Armstrong years were terrible in that regard. So, to have no idea for once of who will win this tour is the most exciting thing to hit the race in decades.

BlodwynPig

Hopefully not Thomas. Time for an allez!

But i think Alaphilippe should get a medal just for the joy he has brought me. If he carks it in the Alps, hope Pinot can do it.

Ferris

Just checking the standings to make sure Sagan is still in green... yup

They should get rid of the green and make that jersey Peter Sagan coloured.

Ronalado

rui COSTA world champion but does not understand when RONALADO call for congratulate this,

is difficuleto explain

achieve world champion in TWO SPORT is not normal, but already when RONALADO cry rui CCCCCOOOOOOOOOSSSSSTTAAAAAAAAAA on the telefon, it just make confused

for sure is question of repect

Ferris

Norton Canes

jobotic

Quote from: gilbertharding on July 22, 2019, 07:53:50 AM
We went to watch the British National Crit Champs at Rochester yesterday. Quite exciting - watch it on YouTube - and find out why the runner up Isaac Mundy titled the ride on Strava 'Will buy new pedals with the prize money'.

Good wasn't it? Where did you watch it from?

PlanktonSideburns

What's the best way to get bike chain grease out if jeans?

gilbertharding

Quote from: jobotic on July 23, 2019, 04:47:51 PM
Good wasn't it? Where did you watch it from?

A few places, but we ended up on the esplanade by the finish line. Shame about the finish really. Knowing Isaac Mundy was going to lose because of a mechanical, I'd have preferred to see the group catch them and have a proper free for all on the finish line.

BlodwynPig

With Pinot fucked (again), looks like no French winner this year...Bernal or Thomas now.

BlodwynPig

Fucking bad luck all round for French today

Hailstorm now fucks Alaphilippe's chances of getting back

BlodwynPig

sevendaughters

That's shitty for Alaphillippe, one of the best descenders I've ever seen.

kalowski

Quote from: sevendaughters on July 26, 2019, 03:54:22 PM
That's shitty for Alaphillippe, one of the best descenders I've ever seen.
He still had to go up to Tignes, and I think he'd have cracked further under pressure from Bernal

kalowski

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 26, 2019, 03:47:43 PM
CANCELLED. FUCKING HELL
We were all moaning about how ridiculous this was... Until they showed the state of the fucking route. It would have been like riding through a broken sewer.

Mr Eggs

Quote from: kalowski on July 26, 2019, 03:57:16 PM
He still had to go up to Tignes, and I think he'd have cracked further under pressure from Bernal

Yeah. He was fucked.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Mr Eggs on July 26, 2019, 04:12:23 PM
Yeah. He was fucked.

who knows. he deserves the tour for the effort he has put in against all odds. Bernal is stronger and better climber so probably would win it anyway, but so what...