Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:58:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

David Lynch's Masterclass

Started by Wet Blanket, March 19, 2019, 03:24:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

popcorn

I met a film student who idolised Lynch and won a charity auction where Lynch would read your script and give you feedback. So Lynch read his script. Apparently Lynch said he didn't really understand it.

Noodle Lizard

My partner has an all-access pass to Masterclass, so I spent a while watching Lynch's one.  It's fine, some nice tips and insights into his own work, but it essentially amounts to a long interview and is not worth paying $100 or so for.  As someone else said, I imagine you could find him saying a lot of this stuff elsewhere.

fucking ponderous

Quote from: popcorn on March 29, 2019, 12:05:01 AM
I met a film student who idolised Lynch and won a charity auction where Lynch would read your script and give you feedback. So Lynch read his script. Apparently Lynch said he didn't really understand it.
He should be proud he managed to write something beyond Lynch's realm of comprehension

NoSleep

I doubt it was beyond his comprehension. It was probably a confusing mess. Or even too mundane; I remember Don Van Vliet once declaring that 10cc were "weird".

popcorn

The script was definitely awful.

I haven't read it and I don't know anything about the guy but it was definitely awful.

NoSleep

Perhaps the script has been made into a film by now; does it have an IMDB page?

rasta-spouse

It's an interesting hypothetical, how useful would David Lynch be on giving advice regarding a script? Not very I'd guess, he's so in his own zone.

I wonder if he ever thinks about things in a 3 act way or in terms of narrative, or goal/protagonist. He's totally "dream it, then put it on the screen". Anything else would seem alien to him.

Wet Blanket

Quote from: rasta-spouse on March 30, 2019, 08:19:22 AM
It's an interesting hypothetical, how useful would David Lynch be on giving advice regarding a script? Not very I'd guess, he's so in his own zone.

I wonder if he ever thinks about things in a 3 act way or in terms of narrative, or goal/protagonist. He's totally "dream it, then put it on the screen". Anything else would seem alien to him.

I think he's probably a 'know the rules before you break them' sort of guy. He did also make Elephant Man and the Straight Story after all, while Blue Velvet and Wild at Heart are narratively quite straightforward, for all their wild content

Noodle Lizard

Yeah, Lynch's reputation as this totally crazy maverick who couldn't possibly produce something conventional is a little confusing to me.  Of course he has notoriously weird scenes/concepts, but his movies are often fairly linear (with a few exceptions) and typically follow a three-act structure.  He's closer to a traditional filmmaker than an outright experimental/surrealist one, I reckon, in approach if not always in content.  Not that that's a bad thing, mind you.

NoSleep

He loves cinema of all kinds and riffs on it in his own movies. In some respects he's one of the most honest filmmakers by fully acknowledging (and embracing) the gap between reality and film.

Sin Agog

One of my favourite moments of that giant TP behind the scenes doc (aside from Luther from The Warriors' besutiful singing voice) is when, on first meeting Tim Roth, Lynch geeks out about seeing him play Vince Van Gogh in that Altman pic.  Just the kind of blurty greeting I'd give someone like Tim Roth.