Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 12:28:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Why has this photo of an Australian footballer inspired such abuse?

Started by holyzombiejesus, March 20, 2019, 12:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holyzombiejesus

Apparently this photo of Tayla Harris was posted online after she scored a goal (or summat) but the AFLW (dickheadedly) took it down due to the amount of "degrading, sexist, transphobic, homophobic and hateful messages that sat beneath it."

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/mar/20/photo-of-aflw-player-tayla-harris-is-not-the-problem-the-vile-trolls-are

I don't understand. I can see how tossers would do that kind of thing for Caster Semenya but there's nothing to 'pick at' in this picture, is there? The player herself feels that the abuse she's received amounts to sexual abuse so I'm presuming it was targeted at her.

Paul Calf

That's a cracking photo. Shot of a lifetime for most photographers.

Cuellar

DrGreggles

PlanktonSideburns

Yea that is an awesome picture. Fuck am I going to spend any time on the other stuff tho, what a tragic waste of time.

We should have an Awesome shots of athletes thread

pigamus

imitationleather

Putting your arm across your body while leaping in the air with a leg sticking right up is a hidden signal used by TERFs to identify each other.

biggytitbo

Could someone explain this story to me using glove puppets so I can understand it?

bgmnts

Yeah i'll echo that's a brilliantly timed picture. Photography is wank but every so often it's ace.

I don't really understand why this picture has inspired sexist responses, just women playing sport?

Fuck the cunts.

Blumf

Won't somebody please think of the hamstrings!?

(pretty cool pic. Sadly, haters gonna hate)

Endicott

Quote from: Paul Calf on March 20, 2019, 12:47:01 PM
That's a cracking photo. Shot of a lifetime for most photographers.

Continuous auto focus plus continuous shutter release (at least 8 shots a second) plus a little luck.

NoSleep

Quote from: Blumf on March 20, 2019, 01:16:07 PM
Won't somebody please think of the hamstrings!?

That's a pretty standard stretch for aussie rules footballers. When I lived out there I remember footballer Neil Kerley demonstrating an exercise where he touched his head on his leg (extended at 90° to his body and rested on a support at his foot). Most footballers must be on a par with yoga practioners in the suppleness stakes.

holyzombiejesus

Without being crude, I was thinking that some people must have thought her crotch looked bulgy or something but it doesn't, does it?

Danger Man

She's goose-stepping and doing a Nazi salute in mid-air. Very offensive.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on March 20, 2019, 01:29:52 PM
Without being crude, I was thinking that some people must have thought her crotch looked bulgy or something but it doesn't, does it?

(Without knowing or reading anything else about it) I was thinking quite the opposite - i.e. a shot of the..."under area" with the full "kit-kat" gap on display and some upper thigh pale skin leading to it.

In other words if the shot was exactly the same but it was a male footballer instead it wouldn't be a problem.

I mean it's not a problem, but you understand what I mean.  Or not.  I don't know if it's #metoo, #cancelled2019 or #toxicmasculinity, but summat like that.

But that's my uneducated take on it.

Barry Admin

Amazing display of athleticism. I'm also kind of puzzled, I spent a good ten minute trying to find the comments there, it's presumably lewd comments about her fanny.

biggytitbo

So the transphobic comments were that she looks like a bloke? How odd.

rasta-spouse

It briefly made me think of that quenelle salute invented by a French comedian. Which caused a bit of scandal on the football pitch a while back. But, I'm grasping here.

gilbertharding

The deletion of the photo and the comments which led to the deletion invites us all to draw our own conclusions.

Personally, I'm imagining people - in this case mainly Australians - pointed out that you can nearly see her tackle. I'm imagining people were broadly 'for' the near exhibition, or 'against' - neither stand point being tenable. She's just an athlete being athletic for a living. She's at work. Stop looking at objectifying her.

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on March 20, 2019, 01:46:33 PM
In other words if the shot was exactly the same but it was a male footballer instead it wouldn't be a problem.

I beg to differ. Someone up-thread evoked the spectacle of Peter Beardsley's ball bag, peeking from the side of his short shorts. Perhaps the comments would have been more easily (less problematically) dismissed as banter, but they would have been more or less the same. As I say, I'm having to imagine what the comments were, because they've been deleted.

idunnosomename

as a white person, floating in midair is frowned upon. cultural appropriation from Arab fakirs.

gilbertharding

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: gilbertharding on March 20, 2019, 02:24:29 PM
The deletion of the photo and the comments which led to the deletion invites us all to draw our own conclusions.

Personally, I'm imagining people - in this case mainly Australians - pointed out that you can nearly see her tackle. I'm imagining people were broadly 'for' the near exhibition, or 'against' - neither stand point being tenable. She's just an athlete being athletic for a living. She's at work. Stop looking at objectifying her.

Borderline threatening too, it seems.

I think this is an even better photo.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

What's the advantage of getting your leg up high? Does it make the ball go further or something? I think I need more pictures.

NoSleep

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on March 20, 2019, 03:09:30 PM
What's the advantage of getting your leg up high? Does it make the ball go further or something? I think I need more pictures.

Kicking high is a requisite in Aussie rules.

Blue Jam

I wish all media outlets everywhere would just stop accepting comments.

Norton Canes

Ridiculous. I mean would this picture get anywhere near the same amount of abuse