Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:18:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Started by Wet Blanket, March 20, 2019, 02:35:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glebe

Apparently the guy who plays Sam Wanamaker played Spider-Man in the old TV series.

New Page... Twat.

lipsink

Also, Jake Gyllenhaal probably could've done a good performance if Leo wasn't available. But he was and I liked it, so there.

Glebe

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: George White on October 04, 2019, 06:34:59 AM
Interesting article.
http://thenewbev.com/blog/2019/09/once-upon-a-time-in-hollywood-round-table/?fbclid=IwAR17N02VJv69be72rDTdr4ZozWISQtfH5LUziy9ZFDOY8-OvO5aDgkuAgv0

Thanks for that, a good read. I think they somewhat hand-waved away the issues some have with the film, but I couldn't help but agreeing with the general thrust of this:

QuoteSTEVE: I find all this hand-wringing, nay-saying, and accusations of misogyny over OUATIH perversely bemusing – given the historical reality; given Tarantino's reputation; given what folks paid expecting to see; and given what's actually onscreen. The OUATIH finale is furious once it arrives, and brilliantly staged, but it's  easily the least sadistic Manson film ever made, and I'm including both made-for-TV versions of Helter Skelter [1976, 2004] in that lineage. I just spent a few weeks rescreening all of them, and that's the fact. There isn't a single Manson/Tate movie made to date that's as restrained in its violence as OUATIH – nor as merciful to those who were, in the real world, the victims.

As an aside, I'm surprised no one else was shocked by Tim Olyphant's lip filler.

Alberon

I hate it when films do this.

QuoteAn extended cut of Quentin Tarantino's latest film, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood — featuring four new scenes of previously unseen footage totaling 10 minutes — is headed to theaters. The updated movie, nearly three hours long, will hit more than 1,000 North American locations starting Friday, October 25th.

Will it really make a difference to the box office total? Is there a large number of people willing to sit through the film again to see four new scenes?

SteveDave

Quote from: Glebe on October 04, 2019, 12:44:07 PM
Apparently the guy who plays Sam Wanamaker played Spider-Man in the old TV series.

He was also a Von Trapp child in "The Sound Of Music".

Hat FM

Quote from: Alberon on October 23, 2019, 10:31:08 PM
I hate it when films do this.

Will it really make a difference to the box office total? Is there a large number of people willing to sit through the film again to see four new scenes?

at least one of them will be margot robbie getting a pedicure.

SteveDave

This is available now. I'm not sure that I saw the whole thing though as every now and again we'd see the tops of subtitles that had been covered up with extra black bars. There was some weird editing too when Rick Dalton's speaking to (Timothy Olyphant's character).

I liked it overall though. Especially that Bradley Pitts.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: SteveDave on November 25, 2019, 08:36:00 AM
There was some weird editing too when Rick Dalton's speaking to (Timothy Olyphant's character).

That was in the theatrical release.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: SteveDave on November 25, 2019, 08:36:00 AM
This is available now. I'm not sure that I saw the whole thing though as every now and again we'd see the tops of subtitles that had been covered up with extra black bars. There was some weird editing too when Rick Dalton's speaking to (Timothy Olyphant's character).

I liked it overall though. Especially that Bradley Pitts.

Is it a screener or a Blu Ray rip?

SteveDave

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on November 25, 2019, 11:54:49 AM
Is it a screener or a Blu Ray rip?

It said HDRIP in the download title but that could mean anything. It looked good though.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Sod it, the official release comes out in early December, so I'll just tell somebody to get it me for Christmas. The film was obviously way too short, so the 20 minutes of extended/deleted scenes will go some way to fix that.

The Bumlord

My main 'takeaway' (ugh) is that Brad Pitt taking his shirt off on the roof turned me a bit gay.

55 years old ffs

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I get the feeling Pitt made him write that bit in.

wooders1978

I wish Tarantino would fuck off with his disturbing foot fetish making its way into his films - it's very distracting and I am no prude but I don't really see how it can fly in today's climate 

popcorn

Quote from: wooders1978 on December 15, 2019, 09:58:59 PM
I wish Tarantino would fuck off with his disturbing foot fetish making its way into his films - it's very distracting and I am no prude but I don't really see how it can fly in today's climate

It really adds something to this film though, genuinely. Lots of subtext about the innocence of going barefoot contrasted with dirty soles.

Alberon

Don't know if this has been mentioned before but it looks like the film might be getting a sort of spin-off. It's from the interview where he finally walked away from directing Star Trek.

QuoteDEADLINE: In our very first interview on this movie, you told me how you had written five full episodes of Bounty Law, the fictional Western drama that starred Rick Dalton. Are you through exploring this world, or will you do something with those episodes?

TARANTINO: As far as the Bounty Law shows, I want to do that, but it will take me a year and a half. It got an introduction from Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, but I don't really consider it part of that movie even though it is. This is not about Rick Dalton playing Jake Cahill. It's about Jake Cahill. Where all this came from was, I ended up watching a bunch of Wanted, Dead or Alive, and The Rifleman, and Tales of Wells Fargo, these half-hour shows to get in the mindset of Bounty Law, the kind of show Rick was on. I'd liked them before, but I got really into them. The concept of telling a dramatic story in half an hour. You watch and think, wow, there's a helluva lot of storytelling going on in 22 minutes. I thought, I wonder if I can do that? I ended up writing five half-hour episodes. So I'll do them, and I will direct all of them.

https://deadline.com/2020/01/quentin-tarantino-oscar-nominations-once-upon-a-time-in-hollywood-star-trek-bounty-law-tv-series-1202829629/

Mister Six

Will he have the restraint to shoot them with the aesthetics and technological limitations of a 50s TV series?

I did enjoy the bits of OUATH where he shifted between diagetic "footage" being shot as part of the show and the non-diagetic footage of the film itself. Thought that was very playful and fun.

magval

There's a good uninterrupted stretch of 7 or 8 minutes of Bounty Law on the DVD extras and I'd fucking love a full episode never mind 5.

neveragain

Are there more extras on the US release? Why am I asking? Of course there are. One I bought just had some deleted scenes.

magval

UK Blu-ray for me, and aye, that's in the deleted scenes.

popcorn

Quentin's done a novel of this now, to my surprise.

Disappointed to find that Tarantino is the sort of writer who writes "Rick nodded his head in the affirmative" instead of "Rick nodded".

Wet Blanket

Quote from: popcorn on June 30, 2021, 09:21:23 PM
Quentin's done a novel of this now, to my surprise.

Disappointed to find that Tarantino is the sort of writer who writes "Rick nodded his head in the affirmative" instead of "Rick nodded".

Absolutely no surprises there.

Dusty Substance

He's been doing the podcast circuit to promote the new book, including WTF and Joe Rogan. The Rogan interview is just short of three hours and he talks about pretty much all of his movies (I think it's just Jackie Brown that doesn't get a mention), he speaks briefly about Harvey Weinstein and tells an interesting story about Bruce Lee - not just the OUATIH bullshit controversy, but a whole tale about Lee's widow claimed the TV show Kung Fu ripped off an idea her late husband had.

I was already keen to read the novelization of OUATIH but he revealed on Rogan's podcast that Jennifer Jason Leigh is narrating the audiobook, which is excellent news.

Rev+

We're all just accepting the idea that he wrote the novelisation himself, then?

popcorn

Quote from: Rev+ on July 01, 2021, 12:55:04 AM

I'm sure he did. It's not a novelisation in the usual sense, it's "Quentin Tarantino's got an idea for a book".

It's radically different from the movie and has completely different/new scenes. Possibly it's actually some sort of sequel. I haven't figured it out yet.

Rev+

It remains to be seen I suppose, but Tarantino and competent prose?  Really can't see it.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Rev+ on July 01, 2021, 01:38:19 AM
It remains to be seen I suppose, but Tarantino and competent prose?  Really can't see it.

Whether it's competent or not, the idea of Quentin Tarantino writing a sprawling novel based on one of his own films doesn't sound unlikely in the slightest. That's exactly the sort of thing you'd expect him to do, and I'm amazed it's taken him this long to get around to it.

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: Rev+ on July 01, 2021, 12:55:04 AM

Uh, yes. I am. Is there any reason we shouldn't? He's been talking for a few years now about his plans to transition from making films to writing books, and adapting one of his own movies seems like a pretty natural way to dip his toes in the water. I don't see why it should necessarily be beyond the powers of a seasoned screenwriter of Tarantino's calibre to adapt his well-honed narrative fiction style into functional prose.

I read the first 80 pages of the book last night and am enjoying it a great deal. There is some absolute peak level Tarantino self-indulgence in there (get ready for the inside scoop on all of Cliff Booth's favourite world cinema directors!) and if you aren't endeared to his nerdy pop-culture obsessiveness - which is given very, very free reign here - it'll probably do your head in. Overall the book reads kind of like a cross between an Elmore Leonard novel and a freewheeling pop-history book about golden-age hollywood, with some fragments of acerbic film criticism thrown in. It's a strange beast, but I'm having a lot of fun with it.

The expansions and diversions from the movie's plot are very interesting. The narrative of the book seems to cover a much larger timeframe and so far there is a lot of extra backstory about Cliff that reframes or perhaps clarifies certain aspects of his character to a level that the film leaves more ambiguous. It certainly feels more like an alternative take on the movie rather than a straight adaptation.

popcorn

I'm distracted by the enormous amount of elegant variation. Doing my fucking head in.