Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:55:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Spooky Podcasts

Started by Artie Fufkin, March 20, 2019, 02:47:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Artie Fufkin

Apologies if this has already been done;
I recently listened to a great Podcast called Video Palace. Really cool. An old story (you watch a video and you go crazy eight bonkers), but done really well.
Does anyone have similar?

jonbob

Magnus archives
creepy
black tapes
I've not heard Video Palace, so no idea how similar these are,but I've been looking for a new podcast so I'll check it out and blame you if I don't like it

Phil_A

Does it have to be fictional stuff? I was going to suggest the paranormal investigation series Haunted which I enjoyed very much last year, but i just looked for it and spookily, it's no longer there!

It seems like the podcasting company hosting it, Panoply, have rebranded and removed all the podcast content from their podcasting site. Nice work, guys!

(it's still on itunes though).

Artie Fufkin

Cheers, guys. Will check them out.
I'm now listening to an anthology series; The No Sleep Podcast. Specifically the 2 episodes entitled 'Penpal'. The first 2 parts of the first episode really gave me the willies.

Utter Shit

I listened to one called Rabbits a while ago...

QuoteRabbits is a pseudo-documentary podcast from producer and writer Terry Miles. In the show, narrator Carly Parker searches for her missing friend Yumiko "Miko" Takata and finds herself in the midst of a decades-old alternate reality game known as Rabbits or simply "The Game."

It ran out of steam a little towards the end but definitely spooky and a great concept which sounds quite similar to Video Palace.

Artie Fufkin

Utter Shit

No problem, hope you enjoy it! I listened to the first episode of Video Palace last night, it definitely has a similar vibe to Rabbits only told from a first person perspective rather than third person.

Rabbits is from the same people behind The Black Tapes and Tanis. Luckily they stuck to one series and didn't disappear up their own arses like they did with Tanis. They did another one last year about a cursed film but Tanis got so annoying I haven't checked it out yet.

olliebean

Rabbits has a second series coming, I think.

Really? Ah well, at least the first series was pretty much tied up so I don't have to get annoyed by the second. Tanis and Black Tapes had brilliant concepts and the first series or two were excellent but the shows run out of ideas and they kept milking them. Also those fucking socks and Squarespace adverts are beyond irritating.

Sin Agog

Quote from: worldsgreatestsinner on March 23, 2019, 03:24:40 PM
Also those fucking socks and Squarespace adverts are beyond irritating.

The idea of underwear that eats your odour is somewhat terrifying if you really stop and think about it.

chveik

I like Welcome to Night Vale.

DukeDeMondo

The Weird Studies podcast is an absolute fucking treasure of a thing. It has enriched my life immeasurably. Not always "spooky," as such, but sometimes it is. It's true too, though, that it does occasionally gets very, what would you say, very heavy, maybe. Very loaded philosophically - the description on the site is as follows: "Professor Phil Ford and writer/filmmaker J. F. Martel host a series of conversations on art and philosophy, dwelling on ideas that are hard to think and art that opens up rifts in what we are pleased to call "reality." - and that's as good a primer as any, really.

Some sample titles: "On Jonathan Glazer's 'Under the Skin'"; "On Hyperstition"; "David Cronenberg's 'Naked Lunch'"; "The Obscure: On the Philosophy of Heraclitus"; "M.R. James' "The Mezzotint" (a reading of the story followed by a second episode inspired by it in various ways); "On Aleister Crowley and the Idea of Magick"

So on and so forth. I haven't linked to each episode because there are only three pages of them, like, you can scroll down for yourself.

The first episode, "Introduction to Weird Studies," is probably as good a place to start as any.

As I said, it gets a bit, well, a bit fucking impenetrable sometimes if you're not up to the eyes in the works of the people they're referencing and whose ideas they're picking apart, but it's fucking brilliant and if a load of prolonged  blathering on about "consciousness," as happens from time to time, starts to wear you down just fuck it off and click on one about Arthur Machen or someone instead.

The second episode is all about playing around with notions and ideas arising from their reading of the Third Series of Twin Peaks, which I would imagine would appeal to quite a few CaBbers, as would the Under The Skin episode mentioned above, I'm sure.

I can't recommend it enough. I think it's truly wonderful.

It's on Spotify too, if you have that and want to use it to listen to folk banging on about the fucking Great God Pan or whatever.

Sin Agog

Starting off with a Twin Peaks mythic analysis, followed by two episodes on Machen's The White People?  Sounds just like my scene, man.  Cheers!

olliebean

Quote from: worldsgreatestsinner on March 23, 2019, 03:24:40 PM
Really? Ah well, at least the first series was pretty much tied up so I don't have to get annoyed by the second. Tanis and Black Tapes had brilliant concepts and the first series or two were excellent but the shows run out of ideas and they kept milking them. Also those fucking socks and Squarespace adverts are beyond irritating.

And the incredibly repetitive music, and the annoying way the characters talk, in incomplete fragments of information that have to be eked out question by question and with long pauses between each line. I'm still working my way through them (done Rabbits and TBT and just started Tanis), but I've had to turn up the speed to avoid them annoying the hell out of me, which I don't normally do with scripted drama type podcasts.

Dreamboy (from the Nightvale stable, I think) is good, if you don't mind the gay sex scenes.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: DukeDeMondo on March 23, 2019, 05:28:33 PM
The Weird Studies podcast is an absolute fucking treasure of a thing. It has enriched my life immeasurably. Not always "spooky," as such, but sometimes it is. It's true too, though, that it does occasionally gets very, what would you say, very heavy, maybe. Very loaded philosophically - the description on the site is as follows: "Professor Phil Ford and writer/filmmaker J. F. Martel host a series of conversations on art and philosophy, dwelling on ideas that are hard to think and art that opens up rifts in what we are pleased to call "reality." - and that's as good a primer as any, really.

Some sample titles: "On Jonathan Glazer's 'Under the Skin'"; "On Hyperstition"; "David Cronenberg's 'Naked Lunch'"; "The Obscure: On the Philosophy of Heraclitus"; "M.R. James' "The Mezzotint" (a reading of the story followed by a second episode inspired by it in various ways); "On Aleister Crowley and the Idea of Magick"

So on and so forth. I haven't linked to each episode because there are only three pages of them, like, you can scroll down for yourself.

The first episode, "Introduction to Weird Studies," is probably as good a place to start as any.

As I said, it gets a bit, well, a bit fucking impenetrable sometimes if you're not up to the eyes in the works of the people they're referencing and whose ideas they're picking apart, but it's fucking brilliant and if a load of prolonged  blathering on about "consciousness," as happens from time to time, starts to wear you down just fuck it off and click on one about Arthur Machen or someone instead.

The second episode is all about playing around with notions and ideas arising from their reading of the Third Series of Twin Peaks, which I would imagine would appeal to quite a few CaBbers, as would the Under The Skin episode mentioned above, I'm sure.

I can't recommend it enough. I think it's truly wonderful.

It's on Spotify too, if you have that and want to use it to listen to folk banging on about the fucking Great God Pan or whatever.

sounds great, thanks. Listening to Video Palace first - unsettling at half volume as I can't distinguish ambient sounds from the podcast from noises in the forest out the back of my house.

Gregory Torso

There's one called Astonishing Legends, which I haven't really listened to many episodes from - I think it focusses a lot on aliens and conspiracy theories as well as spooky ghosts - but this episode is a short one, and it shit me up right proper so it did when I first heard it, The Laughing Indian. If you like that, maybe check out some other eps (there's some crazy shit about Skinwalker Ranch, if I remember, going on over about three different episodes, and it's ridiculous).

Also, I don't know if this is straying from your remit, but it horrified me and upset for ages, from the true crime podcast Casefile, all about the Snowtown Murders. There was a pretty distrubing film about it, but the real story is even more fucked up.

Bad Ambassador

olliebean

Why do so many podcasts these days fail to put an RSS link on their website, so you have to Google how to subscribe to it? (Astonishing Legends is at https://audioboom.com/channels/4322549.rss, fwiw.)

Artie Fufkin

Cheers for all of these ideas, guys. Lots of rabbit holes to fall down.
Speaking of which, I'm 2 episodes in to Rabbits. Liking it lots. The narrators voice is very pleasing.....

Natnar

Quote from: Gregory Torso on March 27, 2019, 10:24:31 AM
There's one called Astonishing Legends, which I haven't really listened to many episodes from - I think it focusses a lot on aliens and conspiracy theories as well as spooky ghosts - but this episode is a short one, and it shit me up right proper so it did when I first heard it, The Laughing Indian. If you like that, maybe check out some other eps (there's some crazy shit about Skinwalker Ranch, if I remember, going on over about three different episodes, and it's ridiculous).

Snowtown Murders. There was a pretty distrubing film about it, but the real story is even more fucked up.

Astonishing Legends is great, it's really well researched. I'd suggest listening to the recent Sallie House episodes especially when the 2 hosts go on a tour of the "haunted" house and something happens..

I'd also recommend Haunted which is written & presented by Danny Robins in which he interviews people about the ghostly encounters they've had.There's only 11 episodes but there is a second season coming at some point. https://cms.megaphone.fm/channel/haunted?selected=PPY6454724415

BlodwynPig

I'm hooked on VHS palace. Excited to get into bed and under the blanket and put it on...only then I'm immediately in a cold sweat praying for it to end. Classic. The basement episode tonight.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: BlodwynPig on March 28, 2019, 01:15:42 PM
I'm hooked on VHS palace. Excited to get into bed and under the blanket and put it on...only then I'm immediately in a cold sweat praying for it to end. Classic. The basement episode tonight.
Isn't it great? So well done.

Phil_A

Quote from: Natnar on March 28, 2019, 12:30:59 PM
I'd also recommend Haunted which is written & presented by Danny Robins in which he interviews people about the ghostly encounters they've had.There's only 11 episodes but there is a second season coming at some point. https://cms.megaphone.fm/channel/haunted?selected=PPY6454724415

Oi!

Quote from: Phil_A on March 20, 2019, 11:41:38 PM
Does it have to be fictional stuff? I was going to suggest the paranormal investigation series Haunted which I enjoyed very much last year, but i just looked for it and spookily, it's no longer there!

It seems like the podcasting company hosting it, Panoply, have rebranded and removed all the podcast content from their podcasting site. Nice work, guys!

(it's still on itunes though).

Phil_A

Quote from: Gregory Torso on March 27, 2019, 10:24:31 AM

Also, I don't know if this is straying from your remit, but it horrified me and upset for ages, from the true crime podcast Casefile, all about the Snowtown Murders. There was a pretty distrubing film about it, but the real story is even more fucked up.

I agree the Snowtown Murders case was unbelievably grim, but the one serial case that genuinely shook me was the Dnepropetrovsk Maniacs, of "3 Guys One Hammer" infamy which they cover in another episode.

Horrendous though the whole Snowtown story is, you could at least trace some semblance of twisted reasoning behind John Bunting's paedo-murdering campaign. A monster borne out of childhood abuses.

But those two boys in the Dnepropetrovsk case, there's just nothing. No motivation, no explanation, nothing except pure unbridled psychopathy in it's most devastating form. That's more chilling to me, the absolute detachment from any kind of human reasoning or understanding. The level of violence inflicted on their random victims is just stomach churning to think about.

olliebean

Finished season 1 of Tanis. It's pretty much a big old rip-off of Annihilation, isn't it?

olliebean

Quote from: olliebean on March 30, 2019, 10:30:13 PM
Finished season 1 of Tanis. It's pretty much a big old rip-off of Annihilation, isn't it?

Have looked into this a bit more, apparently both Tanis and Annihilation are big old rip-offs of Roadside Picnic/Stalker.

BlodwynPig

Tried listening to a couple of Weird studies last two nights, but they are sooo long and I inevitably fall asleep. The Lovecraft one was great, the other one I fell asleep before they got ON TOPIC...