Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 12:07:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Bill & Ted 3: Face the Music

Started by St_Eddie, March 20, 2019, 07:35:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcy

The Mollusk

Quote from: madhair60 on June 15, 2020, 09:22:19 PM
I watched the first two of these over the weekend, assuming they would be cretinous meme shit.

They're both really good fun and shockingly well-made. Colour me surprised

I watched them both recently also, having not seen them for a long enough amount of time to forget whether or not they were, er, cretinous meme shit.

"Excellent Adventure" is decent but it's carried entirely by the wall-to-wall goofy charm of Winter and Reeves. In the hands of anyone less cute, it could easily have been rubbish. "Bogus Journey", however, is fucking great. The plot of "Excellent Adventure" is almost too dumb but it establishes it well enough for "Bogus Journey" to succeed massively in its wake. Station and Death are a pair of absolute fucking lads.

Small Man Big Horse

Haven't watched the new trailer as I'm trying to avoid seeing any more footage now, but apparently it's released in the cinema and online on September 1st, and is only 78 minutes long. I'm someone who thinks comedy's should be relatively short and anything over two hours is almost always too long, but that does seem all a bit short.

Sebastian Cobb

Was that Kirsten Schaal as the Rufus replacement? I can get on board with that.

Ferris

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 23, 2020, 06:28:43 PM
Was that Kirsten Schaal as the Rufus replacement? I can get on board with that.

Yeah I spotted that and all. She's great so it bodes well.

Mister Six

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on July 23, 2020, 05:01:15 PM
Haven't watched the new trailer as I'm trying to avoid seeing any more footage now, but apparently it's released in the cinema and online on September 1st, and is only 78 minutes long. I'm someone who thinks comedy's should be relatively short and anything over two hours is almost always too long, but that does seem all a bit short.

Blimey, yeah. Not even an hour and a half. Hopefully it's all killer, no filler.

Shaky

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on July 23, 2020, 05:01:15 PM

It won't be 78 minutes long - this is a silly rumour stemming from the fact Solomon said B & T will have that amount of time to save the universe in the film. There'll be extra stuff around that.

Small Man Big Horse

This is now available, fortunately I finish work at 2pm today as well so am looking forward to watching it this afternoon. Such is my love for the first two I can't imagine it won't disappoint, but I'm hoping it'll fall in to the "That was quite funny but not as good as the first two" category rather than the "Aw jesus, what were they thinking" one.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on August 28, 2020, 10:13:55 AM
This is now available, fortunately I finish work at 2pm today as well so am looking forward to watching it this afternoon. Such is my love for the first two I can't imagine it won't disappoint, but I'm hoping it'll fall in to the "That was quite funny but not as good as the first two" category rather than the "Aw jesus, what were they thinking" one.

I want to watch this, but have a week off in a couple of weeks, so might wait and get stoned as fuck and watch the trilogy.

madhair60

It's good.

They sidestepped everything I was worried about when it comes to belated sequels.

Had a lot of fun.

bgmnts

I like Reeves, he's like Nic Cage for me with that cult appeal and meme fame but without being utterly mental.

To go from vacant eyed comedy valley dude, to vacant eyed action star, to vacant eyed serious actor (Dracula), to vacant eyed realistic-martial-arts-and-shooting-guns-assassin-man is pretty impressive, in an age where everyone is getting old and shit, old and cancelled or both.

I hope this film does well and brings everyone back to the good old days where racial tensions, inequality, sexism, homophobia and general nastiness was sort of swept under the rug and everyone had a good time!

Bernice

Is this streaming anywhere in the UK or cinemas only?

Shaky

Utterly silly and occasionally cringe worthy, but loads of fun. I actually roared out several times when it hit the right notes, which is surprisingly often. A film that absolutely shouldn't exist yet I'm very glad it does. Both the lads are good but Winter in particular doesn't miss a beat. I kept thinking  what the FUCK non fans would make of it. The end credits sequence is lovely and a nice cap to the whole thing.

Quote from: bgmnts on August 28, 2020, 12:59:43 PM
I like Reeves, he's like Nic Cage for me with that cult appeal and meme fame but without being utterly mental.

Me too, he does an entertaining cameo as himself in Always Be My Maybe, actually he's the best thing in it - it's shit.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Shaky on August 28, 2020, 03:05:28 PM
Utterly silly and occasionally cringe worthy, but loads of fun. I actually roared out several times when it hit the right notes, which is surprisingly often. A film that absolutely shouldn't exist yet I'm very glad it does. Both the lads are good but Winter in particular doesn't miss a beat. I kept thinking  what the FUCK non fans would make of it. The end credits sequence is lovely and a nice cap to the whole thing.

I really enjoyed this too, I'm a little bit in shock as to how much so, after seeing that the AV Club rated it C+ (though I ignored the review itself) I had lowered my expectations even further but it turns out I didn't need too. Yes, there's the odd minor issue (
Spoiler alert
the plot line with Elizabeth and Joanna doesn't really go anywhere
[close]
) but it's mostly enormous fun, all of the performances are superb, and it's warmhearted and sweet and lovely and just fantastic in general. 8.2/10

Famous Mortimer

Balls to the AV Club, it used to be good two owners ago.

Chairman Yang

Yep, that was lovely. Maaaaaybe a little too self-indulgent but I think it carries it off.

I think my favourite bit is how
Spoiler alert
even Bill and Ted, have absolutely no time for Dennis.
[close]
Oof.

RHX

Not sure if it's just because it was a bright spot in an otherwise shitty last couple of months, but I loved that.

Calling something a feel-good comedy can sometimes be damning with faint praise but that's exactly what this was. There was none of the usual cynicism that comes from most modern comedies, just a fun time-travelling plot, some great performances (Keanu Reeves is too good an actor to play Ted convincingly anymore but that just makes it so endearing) and a wonderful cast. If this is going to be a launching pad for a Billie and Thea spin-off, I am 100% on board.

Glebe

Quote from: Shaky on August 28, 2020, 03:05:28 PMUtterly silly and occasionally cringe worthy, but loads of fun.

Yeah, trailer looks a bit cringey in places, glad to hear it's fun though. Seen a couple of fairly positive reviews online.

Moribunderast

Echoing the opinion that this is good fun. Short, sweet, silly and quite funny. I also loved that it kept the tone of the originals in that it totally works as a kids film as well. I was very young when I used to watch the two B&T movies constantly on VHS and this film felt like you could play it to a young kid and they'd have a good time with it. Dennis was a highlight.

Takes a good hour before it gets going, but the rest of the film just about saves it from being a huge misfire.
Good enough, you'd have to have a heart of stone not to be carried along with the ending.
If this was the first film you'd say that everyone bar William Sadler and perhaps Alex Winter were horribly miscast. Alex does a lot of heavy lifting here.
It's not as tight as the other films, has way less flair and creativity and isn't funny at all.
Nowhere near as good as it could have been, but nowhere near as bad either.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on August 29, 2020, 10:06:38 AM
Takes a good hour before it gets going, but the rest of the film just about saves it from being a huge misfire.
Good enough, you'd have to have a heart of stone not to be carried along with the ending.
If this was the first film you'd say that everyone bar William Sadler and perhaps Alex Winter were horribly miscast. Alex does a lot of heavy lifting here.
It's not as tight as the other films, has way less flair and creativity and isn't funny at all.
Nowhere near as good as it could have been, but nowhere near as bad either.

I disagree with pretty much everything you say there (bar the ending bit), but especially when it comes to the cast, I thought the two daughters were superb, all of the historical characters were great, and Schaal was excellent too, playing it in a nicely understated way, while Corrigan was excellent.

El Unicornio, mang

I thought this was kind of fun and they got the tone more or less right, but all in all pretty mediocre and not very funny aside from the scenes with Death and some of Corrigan's bits. The daughters were cool (Brigette Lundy-Paine particularly captured Ted), I thought the other was Margot Robbie but it's a different Australian actress. The whole thing just felt off. Alex Winters seemed to be doing his best, Keanu seemed like his mind was elsewhere. Kristen Schaal is always good. I thought the historical figures were awful, really basic caricatures from non-actors who I guess they thought looked vaguely enough like the real thing, but not memorable like they were in Excellent Adventure. I like silly adventure comedies but this just didn't have the laughs or effortlessness of stuff like the Jumanji films

olliebean

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on August 29, 2020, 11:13:29 AMThe daughters were cool (Brigette Lundy-Paine particularly captured Ted)

They were more Teddish than Keanu in this, I thought.

13 schoolyards

I really liked the way they acknowledged Reeves doesn't really fit as Ted (while still being great as Ted) in this, with him being the one set to pack it in early and the nod later on to him always being awkward around his other selves. Just added that little bit to the character to help it fit with the less carefree modern day Reeves.

Otherwise yeah, thought it was great.

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on August 29, 2020, 10:54:26 AMI thought the two daughters were superb

I imagined the director saying "you're not on SNL, tone it down a bit"
Oh yeah, the robot guy was good! Fair play, forgot about him.

Sebastian Cobb

Famous Mortimer

Loved it. Fun, warm-hearted, silly, lots of great performances. I think having Kristen Schaal in it as a straight-person was an odd choice - why bother hiring a comic actor if you're not going to have them do comedy? But other than that, excellent.

George White

Brigette Lundy Paine I found the best thing.

Overall, it felt a little variable. The production did feel at times a little cheap, with the time-travelling performers clearly being local hires from louisiana while the original had people like Jane wiedlin and the ALDI Peter Vaughan, Tony Steedman.

The wives, I know people are moaning as Jayma Mays is 41 and Erinn Hayes 44, while the boys are 55, while the original princesses, Diane Franklin and Kimberly Labelle were 25 in the first filmplaying unspecified but clearly teenage characters to Winters and Reeves'22 playing 16, while Annette Azcuy and Sarah Trigger in Bogus Journey were 22.
Theodore and Bill S are supposed to be 48 in the present, the girls 24 (as Bogus Journey is set over a period of years IIRC) so the princesses would be somewhere around 46-49.
The thing is, Mays kind of annoyedme because I kept being reminded of Lucy Davis in her performance, and then thinking, "why isn't this actual Lucy Davis?"

Butchers Blind

Why didn't they use the original actresses?