Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:52:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Bill & Ted 3: Face the Music

Started by St_Eddie, March 20, 2019, 07:35:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

I find the second film a lot less focused - it's one of those ones where it gets a bit lolrandom and you start to feel anything could happen and it's just arbitrary what they do include and what they don't include, and how long certain obstacles take to overcome.  I've never been a massive fan of films where you lose track of what the goal is and they just heap more and more wacky stuff in.

It's a shame that for budget reasons they had to cut the reincorporation of the insane bunny and other nightmare features from the final act.  Not everyone will agree but I liked the idea of Bill and Ted overcoming those fears rather than them just being abandoned.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Replies From View on August 09, 2021, 01:55:59 PM
I've never been a massive fan of films where you lose track of what the goal is and they just heap more and more wacky stuff in.
I'd say it's perfectly straightforward. They want to save the princesses from the evil robots. Their first few attempts go tits up and make things worse, until they decide to stop running from the Grim Reaper and formulate a proper plan.

It could have been fun to see them defeat their nightmares, but I reckon them deciding to challenge The Grim Reaper accomplishes the same thing from a plot perspective (and is hilarious).

madhair60

Quote from: Replies From View on August 09, 2021, 12:03:51 PM
Anyone seen Bogus Journey lately?  It isn't that great.  I'd even say Face the Music is better than the second film.

Strongly disagree. I think BJ (chortle) is the best of the lot, easily. Very cleverly directed in places too, the way that it starts off almost as a carbon copy of the original with dull staging then as everything escalates the direction starts to get more and more outlandish and off the wall.

Only watched them for the first time last year and I thought Bogus Journey was genuinely wonderful.

Noodle Lizard

How weird this got bumped, I just watched it again the night before last (despite saying in this thread that I wouldn't). My thoughts are pretty much the same. The ending's still really bad, Death is still the best part. That being said, there are so many ways the rest of it could've been much worse. Its main strength is that it didn't do anything to spoil my enjoyment of the other two.

Shaky

Bogus Journey is the best one by a big margin. Loads of fun, and effortlessly weird in places.

Replies From View

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on August 09, 2021, 03:04:02 PM
I'd say it's perfectly straightforward. They want to save the princesses from the evil robots. Their first few attempts go tits up and make things worse, until they decide to stop running from the Grim Reaper and formulate a proper plan.

It could have been fun to see them defeat their nightmares, but I reckon them deciding to challenge The Grim Reaper accomplishes the same thing from a plot perspective (and is hilarious).

Well, I don't mean it's not straightforward or it's difficult to follow or anything, it's just that after a while the number of obstacles they face becomes arbitrary and I personally lose focus.

So I'm talking about films like Neverending Story which I find a particular chore, where it's just ok now we're meeting the numbleweeps and these things needs to happen to gain a key to access a gaping furry wound, and inside that wound there there's a wimposs with a telescopic rectum that holds a glowing harbint which sets in motion the next leg of the journey, which is to fly to a land called sidcombe barnett in which the only true coinage is the coinage you already hold, and you get there and there's tempting gems everywhere but remember to only spend the money in your asda price back pocket 

Same thing with Lord of the Rings.  Just an interminable list of monsters until finally the end is allowed to happen.

These are extremes and Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey doesn't go too far down that road but there's a touch of it in the middle that makes my mind drift off, that's all.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Replies From View on August 10, 2021, 12:25:52 PM
So I'm talking about films like Neverending Story which I find a particular chore
Well you can't say you weren't warned with that title.

Even though I do like the films, I agree with you about Lord of the Rings, particularly the whole Moria sequence. I've never felt it to be the case with Bogus Journey though. Unless I'm forgetting any major scenes, I'd say it's actually a pretty tight script: They run away from Death and attempt to warn their parents about the robots, only to be sent to Hell. They challenge Death to escape and have him take them to someone who can build good robots to save the day. I suppose you could say the trip to Heaven was a bit unnecessary (presumably there are plenty of living beings that could build a couple of robots - and they could just have shot the evil robots) but where's the fun in that?

One thing I always wondered about: When they play at the battle of the bands, Bill sports a beard and outfit clearly influenced by ZZ Top, but who is Ted supposed to resemble?

popcorn

and what the fuck is this bass move supposed to be Death