Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:37:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Bill & Ted 3: Face the Music

Started by St_Eddie, March 20, 2019, 07:35:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sirhenry

Quote from: Mango Chimes on March 26, 2019, 08:33:33 AM
I'm not excited to see Bill & Ted in their fifties. It's one of those things where either way to go will seem wrong – they either speak and act the same as they did thirty years ago, weird, or they've significantly changed, weird.
The trailer looked as if it might be trying to go a third way - the uncomfortable quoting of their old catchphrases implies that they have changed, but not significantly. Hopefully.

I'm still looking forward to this far too much[nb]I love the idea of telling myself as i came out of Bogus Journey " Don't worry, there will be another one; it just won't come out until the week of your sixtieth birthday. Happy birthday, dude!"[/nb], can someone please lower my expectations so that when it does come out it's better than I expected?

Noodle Lizard

Ah man. I hope it's good too. We just showed the first two to our 8-year-old and it was a really nice experience - something very wholesome about those movies (Napoleon in a waterpark for fuck's sake). I'm not sure it could easily be replicated in 2020 when everything's so much more cynical. On the bright side, it didn't seem from the trailer as though this film will be full of nostalgia-bait and meta references like you'd expect from most reboots, but it also looks too ... I dunno, polished? There's something about the look of 80s/90s movies that sort of justifies the inherent tackiness of them, but I think setting that kind of tackiness against an HBO drama backdrop could be disastrous. Like re-doing Fawlty Towers without a laugh track.

Butchers Blind

The prison bit made me smile with the buffed up Bill & Ted.  According to what I've read elsewhere a sizeable portion of the film will focus on their daughters journey.

idunnosomename

this will probably be quite bad but I am still glad it is happening. i wouldn't have believed it before now. i kinda like the awkward elderly Reeves and Winters. isn't that the point?

also i guess the buff versions are played by them too with loads of mo-cap / keying out their sad old men bods?

Sebastian Cobb

If it's the kids they had with the 'babes' they'll be about 30 and settling down.

Shaky

Quote from: idunnosomename on June 10, 2020, 12:15:30 AM
also i guess the buff versions are played by them too with loads of mo-cap / keying out their sad old men bods?

It's them, yeah, but looks like they're wearing suitably ridiculous muscle suits rather than CG.

I'm warming to the teaser trailers (there seem to be a couple of them, I think?). Takes a while to get over the shock of actually seeing the characters again. Winter seems totally on point while Reeves is a bit stilted, though. Perhaps Ted's got prostate cancer?

Butchers Blind

Quote from: Shaky on June 10, 2020, 10:12:07 AM
Winter seems totally on point while Reeves is a bit stilted, though.

Winter was always the better actor of the two.

greenman

To be fair I think his character was a bit more rounded in the originals as well.

sirhenry

It wouldn't surprise me if they take the line that Ted hasn't changed and still dreams of the band making it big and saving the world, but Bill has sold out to The Man for financial security and become a mindless drone. So part of the story will be trying to get his mojo back.

Red pill/blue pill...

And will Death thank Reeves for all the custom he has put death's way (as John Wick)?
Or will they manage to avoid mentioning any part of Reeves' back catalogue? Seems unlikely as it could so easily be the source of a rich vein of cheesy meta fourth-wall-breaking gags...

Shaky

Quote from: sirhenry on June 10, 2020, 12:08:02 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if they take the line that Ted hasn't changed and still dreams of the band making it big and saving the world, but Bill has sold out to The Man for financial security and become a mindless drone. So part of the story will be trying to get his mojo back.

Seems to be the other way round, with Ted in a suit and Bill still rocking the rawk duds.

sirhenry

Quote from: Shaky on June 10, 2020, 12:21:15 PM
Seems to be the other way round, with Ted in a suit and Bill still rocking the rawk duds.
Well yes, obviously. I have problems remembering the names of people I last saw 10 minutes ago, let alone 25 years...

Mango Chimes

I've watched the trailer a few times now and each time I like it more. I think Ted is a trickier character to age up, Bill is enthusiastic so you can keep that at any age, but Ted has that wide-eyed innocent wonder. The colour grading is horrible, though, and it's really sad that it doesn't look more like this:

Shaky

Quote from: sirhenry on June 10, 2020, 12:27:13 PM
Well yes, obviously. I have problems remembering the names of people I last saw 10 minutes ago, let alone 25 years...

You had a 50/50 chance! Sorry, I sort of realised you'd mixed them up but replied anyway. The sark wasn't malicious. Tbh I can get Bill and Ted right but my two kids are totally interchangeable.

Replies From View

Quote from: sirhenry on June 10, 2020, 12:08:02 PM
Or will they manage to avoid mentioning any part of Reeves' back catalogue? Seems unlikely as it could so easily be the source of a rich vein of cheesy meta fourth-wall-breaking gags...

"The Matrix sequels were shite!!"

Nice subtle dig along those lines would be cool.

Replies From View

Quote from: Shaky on June 10, 2020, 12:21:15 PM

Is it fair to say that Keanu Reeves always looks like he is wearing someone else's clothes?

Because I think he does.

Asking for a friend.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Replies From View on June 10, 2020, 02:36:58 PM
Is it fair to say that Keanu Reeves always looks like he is wearing someone else's clothes?

Because I think he does.

Asking for a friend.

His John Wick suits seem to suit him.  Other than that, I haven't really paid much attention.

olliebean

Quote from: Butchers Blind on June 10, 2020, 10:57:57 AM
Winter was always the better actor of the two.

He also seems to have aged a lot better, but maybe it's just that he always had a more timeless look.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: olliebean on June 10, 2020, 02:55:38 PM
He also seems to have aged a lot better, but maybe it's just that he always had a more timeless look.

He also-also hasn't been throwing himself around in action films for the last 25 years.

Sin Agog

Isn't the internet meme supposed to be that Keanu Reeves is a vampire, not Alex Winter?

Replies From View

Keanu Reeves looked young while he was young.  Then he stopped looking as young when he stopped being as young.

I've never really understood why this fact should be so gobsmacking to people.

sirhenry

Quote from: Replies From View on June 10, 2020, 05:58:52 PM
Keanu Reeves looked young while he was young.  Then he stopped looking as young when he stopped being as young.
Whereas Alex Winter seemed to age quite fast after the Bill & Ted movies (probably due to excessive drugs and partying) and has waited patiently for Keanu to catch up. Now that he has they can finally both look right for the sequel.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

From that trailer Alex Winter is going to be carrying Reeves corpse on his back through this entire film.

I'm not sure if that's because Winter has stepped back into the role really well or because of just what a mould infested piece of alarming shit Reeves is offering up here. But there's one guy capable of reprising it and one that...well...what's actually happening there?

Hopefully he can die sometime in the first 10 minutes, at least if it can be scientifically proven he is still alive.

Replies From View

It's funny to think of all the stuff Keanu Reeves has done since Bill and Ted yet Alex Winter is still the more convincingly actor.  Reeves comes across in that trailer like he's phoning it in more than Bill Murray doing Garfield, but I have a feeling he's actually doing the best he can possibly do.

VelourSpirit

Never really got how people can summon up so much vitriol for Reeves' acting, he's too endearing for me

Replies From View

Quote from: TwinPeaks on June 11, 2020, 05:55:52 AM
Never really got how people can summon up so much vitriol for Reeves' acting, he's too endearing for me

He offers a kind of doe-eyed emptiness but even that's fading now with internal collapse of his features due to age.

He looks like a weetabix cartoon version of himself.

madhair60

I watched the first two of these over the weekend, assuming they would be cretinous meme shit.

They're both really good fun and shockingly well-made. Colour me surprised

Mister Six

Don't know why everyone's being horrible about Reeves, who's generally a good egg, and has found a decent niche for himself.

He does look miserable in this film, but I assume that's the plot - Ted going from adorable naif to burned out executive in a grey suit with no passion and an urge to cut ties with Bill, from whom he's grown distant.

So like cranky disillusioned Luke Skywalker. Another iconic ending undone and further childhoods ruined.