Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:02:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

China Man

Started by touchingcloth, March 20, 2019, 09:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

touchingcloth

How did this term ever come into use? I can't think of a single other country where people are referred to with quite the same ordering of words.

A French. I'm pretty sure I've seen this being used, but it's not the same, is it, cos French is at least an adjective.

A black fella. Again, an adjective is being used so even this is in some way better.

Eskimo. Not cool these days, but better.

Scotch. Entirely accurate.

So where does China Man come from, eh? I'm aware that I have gifted one of you wags a funny one word response that doesn't need much thought - you're welcome.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteI can't think of a single other country where people are referred to with quite the same ordering of words.

Frenchman

Cuellar

That would have to be Franceman.

My mum still calls them 'a Chinese' as in 'there was a Chinese there'

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Cuellar on March 20, 2019, 09:12:35 PM
That would have to be Franceman.

My mum still calls them 'a Chinese' as in 'there was a Chinese there'

Yorkshireman

imitationleather

Also:

The Ukraine.

The Algarve.

What links these places? Why do they have "the" put in front of them? Do other places share this honour? The Hague doesn't count, that is actually what it is called.

Cuellar

I'll give you Yorkshireman.

BlodwynPig

Shit Good Nose

Englishman, Welshman and Scotsman.  And Irishman.

German. (beaten to it)

Granted "China man/Chinaman" has more racist connotations to it than the others, in the same way that "Jap" and "p**i" do but "Brit" doesn't.

bgmnts

I use the terms blackman and gayman like Alan Partridge.

So there's that.

Cuellar

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on March 20, 2019, 09:21:55 PM
Englishman, Welshman and Scotsman.

German. (beaten to it)

No no no no no no

It would be Englandman, Walesman, Scotlandman if it was following the 'Chinaman' format.

And Germanyman.

paruses

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on March 20, 2019, 09:21:55 PM
Granted "China man/Chinaman" has more racist connotations to it than the others, in the same way that "Jap" and "p**i" do but "Brit" doesn't.

Isn't  "Jap" similar to "Brit"? Honest question; I can't really think of hearing it used like "p**i".

Mr Banlon

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Cuellar on March 20, 2019, 09:26:10 PM
No no no no no no

It would be Englandman, Walesman, Scotlandman if it was following the 'Chinaman' format.

And Germanyman.

Yeah, fair dos. 

I like Germanyman.

Quote from: paruses on March 20, 2019, 09:29:44 PM
Isn't  "Jap" similar to "Brit"? Honest question; I can't really think of hearing it used like "p**i".

No, it took on racial-slur tones during world war 2 when American and British soldiers referred to them as Japs.  The real confusing one is Oriental - originally not racist, then considered as racist, now increasingly not considered racist again mainly because there are a lot of far East Asians who don't want to be lumped in with people from the Middle East.  Kinda similar to the evolution of Indian in America.

Quote from: Mr Banlon on March 20, 2019, 09:32:09 PM
Hungary man

Hungry man.

Cuellar

In Chinese they say 'China person' which is more anatomically correct, gender balanced and less problematic.

My black mate in China had people throw barbecue skewers at him on a bus like they were spears and make monkey noises and 'tribal' chants at him until he felt threatened enough to ask the driver to stop so he could get off the bus and people were laughing and shouting at him as he was trying to get off.

You have to be careful with language I find

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: The Boston Crab on March 20, 2019, 09:36:46 PM
In Chinese they say 'China person' which is more anatomically correct, gender balanced and less problematic.

My black mate in China had people throw barbecue skewers at him on a bus like they were spears and make monkey noises and 'tribal' chants at him until he felt threatened enough to ask the driver to stop so he could get off the bus and people were laughing and shouting at him as he was trying to get off.

You have to be careful with language I find

Well, the Chinese - especially in mainland China - are generally still a few years behind the rest of the developed world when it comes to equality. 

bgmnts

Omanman is my favourite.

Chinaman is short for John Chinaman, of course.

buttgammon

Quote from: imitationleather on March 20, 2019, 09:14:08 PM
Also:

The Ukraine.

The Algarve.

What links these places? Why do they have "the" put in front of them? Do other places share this honour? The Hague doesn't count, that is actually what it is called.

See also The Yemen (not used so much any more) and El Salvador.

bgmnts

Printing in 850AD.

1. Where would you put your woodblockclips?
2. How long would it take to resolve a woodblockjam?
3. Wherr would you get toner?

Shit Good Nose

Jas Mann.

The Isle of Man.

Manfred Mann.

Cuellar

Like many words, it comes from the world of cricket.

Nightwatchman, Chinaman, Thirdman.

kittens

Quote from: buttgammon on March 20, 2019, 09:43:46 PM
See also The Yemen (not used so much any more) and El Salvador.

the gambia

BlodwynPig

NoSleep

bgmnts

Was it ever actually 'The Congo'?

Cuellar

The Netherlands.

The Netherlandsman.

NoSleep