Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:39:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

China Man

Started by touchingcloth, March 20, 2019, 09:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoSleep

Kentish man

Man of Kent

Danger Man

Quote from: The Boston Crab on March 20, 2019, 09:36:46 PM
In Chinese they say 'China person' which is more anatomically correct, gender balanced and less problematic.

They call Santa Claus 'Christmas Man' the fucking hypocrites.

Buelligan

The pits, wasteman.

Shit Good Nose

Bananaramaman.

Hanuman.

Brahma(n).

Bra man.

Bra men.

chveik

rich man, poor man, beggar man, china man

Shit Good Nose

touchingcloth

Quote from: imitationleather on March 20, 2019, 09:14:08 PM
The Algarve.

There's also The Porto. The Portuguese for most cities is the same as the English, so just "Lisboa" for Lisbon and the like, but Porto is "o Porto", with "o" being the Portuguese for "the". For some reason we picked the name up in English as Oporto, but if we wanted to translate like the locals we could go with The Porto.

imitationleather

Quote from: touchingcloth on March 20, 2019, 11:03:02 PM
There's also The Porto. The Portuguese for most cities is the same as the English, so just "Lisboa" for Lisbon and the like, but Porto is "o Porto", with "o" being the Portuguese for "the". For some reason we picked the name up in English as Oporto, but if we wanted to translate like the locals we could go with The Porto.

Interesting. Maybe Ronalado can help us with this.

Sherringford Hovis

The Gambia.

Gambiaman.

Gregory Torso

Quote from: Danger Man on March 20, 2019, 09:52:35 PM
They call Santa Claus 'Christmas Man' the fucking hypocrites.

圣诞老人 = "Christmas Old Person" (he said cuntishly yet, correctly)

gib

Bazooka

Gook is often considered to be a word some Dennis The Menace lad in the Vietnam war thought up during a firefight in the humid jungles, but is a word used in many different ways by Koreans as a noun for people and nationality and was picked up by the Americans in the Korean war.

Filipinos live in the Philippines, have I lost my mind but last time I checked(I teach the alphabet every day) F and P are miles apart, but phonetically its perfect.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Bazooka on March 21, 2019, 12:24:27 AM
Filipinos live in the Philippines, have I lost my mind but last time I checked(I teach the alphabet every day) F and P are miles apart, but phonetically its perfect.

Why are you surprised? It's the same as how Finns live in Phinland and the French live in Phrance.

JesusAndYourBush

I've seen films made in the 40's where a Chinese person is referred to as "A Chinee".  I assume this is a misunderstanding that the word "Chinese"(Chinee's) is plural.

And isn't putting The in front of the name of a country a colonial thing, the "the" sortof implying ownership?

easytarget

touchingcloth

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on March 21, 2019, 02:09:16 AM
I've seen films made in the 40's where a Chinese person is referred to as "A Chinee".  I assume this is a misunderstanding that the word "Chinese"(Chinee's) is plural.

Chinee reckon?

And isn't putting The in front of the name of a country a colonial thing, the "the" sortof implying ownership?

Yep, I think it's a bit like a region of your own country, so like we have The Peak District and the French have The Riviera, Russia use The Ukraine for Ukraine which is a different country entirely, and the imperialist Umbongolans use The Congo.

José

don't push too far
your dreams are *mumbles* chinaman

MidnightShambler

My dad used to refer to the lady he would buy dvds in the pub off as 'The Chinee' and he was born in the 40s, so that's probably where he got it from. Although he's in that confusing age group where they use racist language for things yet absolutely aren't racist in attitude or behaviour so they don't see anything wrong with it. I don't know whether that's just a northern thing but it's quite common in people of that particular generation. I think it's more down to being stubborn than anything else.