Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:30:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Netflix Madeleine McCann docco

Started by thugler, March 20, 2019, 10:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thugler

Just seen this, it's done nothing to convince me that they weren't responsible in some way. The extent of the PR/media team they seem to assemble immediately, and the various inconsistencies and bits of evidence seems highly suspicious. I seem to recall CaB being largely of this view also. 

Absorb the anus burn

The McCann case gives off more stink than Boris Johnson's bicycle seat.

PlanktonSideburns

Do they mention anything about Clement Freud popping up like a nonce digglet seconds after it all kicked off? Did I dream that bit?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on March 20, 2019, 11:01:40 PM
Do they mention anything about Clement Freud popping up like a nonce digglet seconds after it all kicked off? Did I dream that bit?

it happened - "friend of the mccanns"

St_Eddie

Almost definitely guilty.  What was the angle of the documentary?  I don't want to watch it if it's yet another vomit inducing affair which toes the line of innocence.  The McCann's have a lot of friends in high places and within the media.  It disgusts me the way that everyone swallows their tripe.

imitationleather

I only lasted five episodes of this. It really felt like everything had been covered by that point. I dunno how they managed to get another three hours out of it and I couldn't be motivated to bother my arse to find out.

What I remain unconvinced by is that an opportunistic burglar/child-snatcher managed to hit the jackpot like that. Or that someone breaking into an apartment would see a child and decide to steal that and nothing else. Everything points towards it being someone known to the family. If not the McCanns themselves then someone else they were on holiday with.

St_Eddie

Quote from: imitationleather on March 20, 2019, 11:11:20 PM
What I remain unconvinced by is that an opportunistic child-snatcher managed to hit the jackpot like that. Everything points towards it being someone known to the family. If not the McCanns themselves then someone else they were on holiday with.

The most likely scenario is that the MaCann's sedated Madeleine so that they could go out for dinner, leaving the children unattended.  Whilst they were dining, Madeleine got up, fell to the tiled floor, cracking her head open.  The McCann's return, find her body, cover up the evidence, make phone calls to their friends in high  places, dispose of the body (most likely down one of the hundreds of wells within the local area) and wait a few days before reporting her missing.  They knew that if they were to tell the authorities of what actually happened, then they would be liable to lose custody of their two youngest children (as well as face jail time).

I've spent at least 15 hours researching the case and that's by far the most plausible explanation.

imitationleather

Quote from: St_Eddie on March 20, 2019, 11:15:40 PM
The most likely scenario is that the MaCann's sedated Madeleine so that they could go out for dinner, leaving the children unattended.  Whilst they were dining, Madeleine got up, fell to the tiled floor, cracking her head open.  The McCann's return, find her body, cover up the evidence, make phone calls to their friends in high  places, dispose of the body (most likely down one of the hundreds of wells within the local area) and wait a few days before reporting her missing.

The documentary says that the twins were asleep through-out all the commotion of her being found to have disappeared and police and whatnot coming into the apartment, which does point towards them being sedated. Kate even explains it by saying the abductor must have dosed them up with something, which seems a bit fanciful. I dunno if that was widely reported at the time on one of the Daily Expresses several hundred Maddie front-pages as I didn't really follow the on-going drama very closely.

thugler

Documentary went over the basics, seemed to veer toward guilt, despite some reconstructions intentionally making the portuguese look at shifty as possible. Then, oh what a surprise! The largely pro McCann pr people they interviewed seem to be given the benefit of the doubt and allowed to dismiss the evidence for being imperfect and ignore the total lack of evidence of an abductor. It's a bait and switch type thing. Only up to episode 6, which i expect from the introduction is going to give time of day to a load of nonsense about grainy images of 'sightings' all over the world.

Bazooka

Shame on all of you, they met the pope, only the pure and innocent can do that.

St_Eddie

What really grinds my gears is whenever the topic of the McCann's comes up in conversation with friends and family (to be fair, always initiated by myself), I begin to explain why they're most likely guilty, only to be immediately shut down.  "Oh no, Ed.  You mustn't believe in conspiracies.  Some awful person abducted poor Madeleine".  Every. Single. Time.  Oh, I'm sorry.  Excuse me for doing dozens of hours of research, whilst you got all of your information from the rags and half watching the news.  Clearly you know better than I.

...Well, I don't actually say that.  I just say "hmm" in the interests of not starting an argument and leave it at that but I sure as shit think it.

Quote from: thugler on March 20, 2019, 11:24:02 PM
Documentary went over the basics, seemed to veer toward guilt, despite some reconstructions intentionally making the portuguese look at shifty as possible. Then, oh what a surprise! The largely pro McCann pr people they interviewed seem to be given the benefit of the doubt and allowed to dismiss the evidence for being imperfect and ignore the total lack of evidence of an abductor. It's a bait and switch type thing. Only up to episode 6, which i expect from the introduction is going to give time of day to a load of nonsense about grainy images of 'sightings' all over the world.

Urgh.  That being the case, I shaln't be watching this.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Bazooka on March 20, 2019, 11:32:58 PM
Shame on all of you, they met the pope, only the pure and innocent can do that.

Do we know for sure where the Pope was during May of 2007?  I think not!  Around that time, some of the residents of Praia da Luz report seeing a suspicious man, wearing a very distinctive hat.

DrGreggles

Mobius

I watched this because I've recently been listening to the new Maddy podcast, and much like the podcast it offers nothing new and is mostly padding.

Still an interesting story though... will we ever know what the hell happened?!

St_Eddie

Quote from: DrGreggles on March 21, 2019, 12:31:31 AM
All about the dogs innit.

The three key places which the cadaver dogs highlighted were...

Behind the sofa, by the curtains.  In the cupboard.  In the trunk of the McCann's hire car.

In my opinion, those spots were...

Where Madeleine fell and cracked her head.  Where her body was initially stored.  Where her body was placed, whilst driving to dispose of the corpse.  That's what I lean towards at least.  I put a little less credence on the hire car, due to the dates that the McCann's were hiring it but the first two I view as highly suspicious.

Having said that, I always considered the cadaver dogs to be fairly low down on the evidence pile.  That goes to show just how much evidence there is.

Quote from: Mobius on March 21, 2019, 12:39:10 AM
Still an interesting story though... will we ever know what the hell happened?!

I wish that someone with the means and incentive would thoroughly search all of the wells in the surrounding area but that would be a massive undertaking.  Failing that, the only other possibility would be for one of the McCann's to come clean, I guess (or someone else who knows the truth).

If you study videos of Jerry and Kate McCann over the years, Jerry seems relatively unfazed and happy to continue the lie (I'd wager good money that he's the dominant one in the relationship), whereas Kate has aged horribly and gives an air of someone who's desperate to come clean.  I think that's unlikely though because they've been lying for so long now that it would seem kind of crazy to tell the truth at this late stage.  I could imagine some kind of death bed confession from her though.

BlodwynPig

1 minute into the first epsidode. Kelvin MacKenzie "you could make 10 movies of this and no-one would believe it"

Switched off.

colacentral

Gerry even does the classic "touch the ear" telltale lie sign when the idea that they sedated her is put to him point blank. I also noticed from that point that 90% of the time when Gerry went to answer a question Kate would jump in to answer for him, presumably knowing he's a bad bullshitter.

The last few episodes were nauseating. The authors pissed me off the most, especially the bloke's assertion that a conspiracy to keep the accidental death of the child a secret would be impossible with three or more people, but then later speculating on a global pedo ring keeping her abduction a secret. Can't have it both ways. And anyway, it could be that she died days earlier, could be that she died the night she was declared missing; could be a conspiracy between all the friends, could just be with the parents. No one knows, that's the point. It doesn't make them innocent.

The stuff with them glossing over the dogs was infuriating. They picked out two very specific spots in the flat, prime body storage spots. Picked out a specific outfit of Kate's and the cuddly toy. Come on, are people trying to suggest that the Port police planted cadaver smells in all these places, but not for example in Maddie's bed? Would they even think to do that? And this would be another mad conspiracy between multiple people to keep secret, which the authors apparently find to be impossible.

It's bollocks. Hated their first PI thinking he was in a film too, one with the ponytail. Numpty him.

Twed

Is nobody else concerned with Netflix and others--corporations--making documentaries that might affect the legal process?

machotrouts

Quote from: imitationleather on March 20, 2019, 11:18:35 PMThe documentary says that the twins were asleep through-out all the commotion of her being found

Wow I hadn't heard she'd been found! Oh that's great. Really happy for them. Didn't think it was going to happen, at this rate! Best of luck to her.

Quote from: imitationleather on March 20, 2019, 11:18:35 PM...to have disappeared

Ahhh. Shit, right. Okay. Never mind

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Twed on March 21, 2019, 02:55:19 AM
Is nobody else concerned with Netflix and others--corporations--making documentaries that might affect the legal process?

For famous criminals, it seems that documentaries are the legal process. Specially for nonce type business. If I was nonce I'd work for Netflix

DrGreggles

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on March 21, 2019, 07:06:10 AM
If I was nonce I'd work for Netflix

Peter, Paul and Mary's less successful follow-up single.

Shit Good Nose

Mrs Nose has added this to our list.  I'm in two minds as to whether I want to watch it or not.

Is there a lot of dramatic reconstruction and/or docudrama stuff in it?  Cos if there is it can fuck right off.

thugler

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on March 21, 2019, 08:33:27 AM
Mrs Nose has added this to our list.  I'm in two minds as to whether I want to watch it or not.

Is there a lot of dramatic reconstruction and/or docudrama stuff in it?  Cos if there is it can fuck right off.

Not much, but the bits that there are (interview scenes with portuguese men waving their hands about) are ridiculous.

rasta-spouse

Not really, the majority of legal action has happened in the Portuguese courts (regarding publications by the lead investigator), because the initial Portuguese investigative team were convinced of the Mcanns' culpability. FBI and UK investigators were told not to give their opinion on the matter by UK gov, although it was their dogs that found cadaverine on hotel flowerbeds, the car and the cuddly toy (obviously suggesting movement of a corpse and some sort of burial ritual).

Gordon Brown's government were clearly not going to put the legals screws on a distressed holiday couple with a missing daughter on the basis of some "ambiguous" forensic evidence, that would look terrible. And now twelve years later the issue is so murky...no chance of any movement legally unless a body is found. I'm probably not going to watch this, but I definitely don't think docs renewing interest in this case are a bad thing.

DrGreggles

Maybe it will generate sufficient new interest to finally get the guilty parties investigated.

BTW, has anyone checked out Armchair Detective's channel on YouTube?
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCty8d_O6ItjNx6-hjd10pjw
Probably the most thorough documentary I've seen.

hedgehog90

Quote from: DrGreggles on March 21, 2019, 09:10:32 AM
BTW, has anyone checked out Armchair Detective's channel on YouTube?
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCty8d_O6ItjNx6-hjd10pjw
Probably the most thorough documentary I've seen.

First impressions - His frequency of posts make him look mental. Could you link to a specific video?

Clownbaby

Quote from: St_Eddie on March 20, 2019, 11:15:40 PM
The most likely scenario is that the MaCann's sedated Madeleine so that they could go out for dinner, leaving the children unattended.  Whilst they were dining, Madeleine got up, fell to the tiled floor, cracking her head open.  The McCann's return, find her body, cover up the evidence, make phone calls to their friends in high  places, dispose of the body (most likely down one of the hundreds of wells within the local area) and wait a few days before reporting her missing.  They knew that if they were to tell the authorities of what actually happened, then they would be liable to lose custody of their two youngest children (as well as face jail time).

I've spent at least 15 hours researching the case and that's by far the most plausible explanation.

This is word for word pretty much what I've always thought myself.

bgmnts

Innocent until proven guilty and all that but I reckon they did it. They should be savaged anyway for leaving a child unattended in a foreign country so they could go on the piss. That is inadvisable to say the least.

Mostly, it just sucks that a poor little girl either died due to an easily prevented accident, was murdered or is stuck in some abysmal sex trafficking existence.

DrGreggles

Quote from: hedgehog90 on March 21, 2019, 10:12:50 AM
First impressions - His frequency of posts make him look mental. Could you link to a specific video?

If you sort oldest first the Maddie ones should be numbered.
I'd go at them in order.