Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:17:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Netflix Madeleine McCann docco

Started by thugler, March 20, 2019, 10:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kishi the Bad Lampshade

Okay so genuine question: how normal or not-normal is it to leave your kids unattended with regular checkups like they did? At first "leaving your kids alone to go to a restaurant" sounds bad, but I've been to a resort owned by the same company and they're basically little toy-towns - like a big hotel or cruise ship, but in the open air. The 'restaurant' was a gazebo a few minutes' walk away from the apartment, more-or-less the equivalent of if you were staying at a hotel and went to the hotel restaurant. I have memories as a young kid of being left to sleep in a hotel room when my parents and their friends went down to the bar or wherever. Granted, (a) this was many years before Maddie's time so maybe the rules were different, and (b) my parents were always more on the...laissez-faire side, but I'm genuinely unsure how bad this is considered. (It's entirely possible my parents were just neglectful arseholes.)

Cuellar

I would say it's a no no. I think all the  parents of young kids/toddlers that I know would likewise not countenance it.

Icehaven

Yeah as I said in an earlier post every parent I've asked about this has said there's no way they would, but then that's always been in the context of a discussion about Madeleine McCann so of course they'd say that.

I went to Butlins with my Mum when I was about 9 (so the late 80s) and they did a 'Kid's Club', effectively a playscheme where a couple of red coats took a huge group of kids around the resort all day so their parents could do their own thing. I remember my Mum saying she thought that was awful, and in hindsight now it can't have been particularly safe either (no more than a school trip I guess (although they're supervised by teachers and assistants and parents rather than a couple of holiday reps.) But enough parents obviously were happy to use it.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Kishi the Bad Lampshade on March 25, 2019, 06:50:20 PM
Okay so genuine question: how normal or not-normal is it to leave your kids unattended with regular checkups like they did? At first "leaving your kids alone to go to a restaurant" sounds bad, but I've been to a resort owned by the same company and they're basically little toy-towns - like a big hotel or cruise ship, but in the open air. The 'restaurant' was a gazebo a few minutes' walk away from the apartment, more-or-less the equivalent of if you were staying at a hotel and went to the hotel restaurant. I have memories as a young kid of being left to sleep in a hotel room when my parents and their friends went down to the bar or wherever. Granted, (a) this was many years before Maddie's time so maybe the rules were different, and (b) my parents were always more on the...laissez-faire side, but I'm genuinely unsure how bad this is considered. (It's entirely possible my parents were just neglectful arseholes.)

Its a crime and they should be prosecuted for it.

Kishi the Bad Lampshade

Yet one more reason to resent my family

gatchamandave

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on March 25, 2019, 06:18:56 PM
I'm willing to believe they were involved because it was such a big media story and international affair. It seems unlikely the McCanns would call them up and ask them to let them get away with murder.

Agreed. But the reverse of the singular case of the dog in the night is worth contemplating - why did it become a big media story and international affair ?

Emma Raducanu

Yeh, as a parent I get stressed out like fuck if in a supermarket my child disappears to the next isle. I absolutely have to know where they are for my own sanity. Likewise, we've stayed in about 50 hotels with our child due to work commitments and I've eaten on the toilet and eaten in the pitch black in our room to supervise/ let our baby sleep. I can't fathom leaving your child alone.

Replies From View

Quote from: DolphinFace on March 25, 2019, 09:38:28 PM
I've eaten on the toilet and eaten in the pitch black in our room to supervise/ let our baby sleep.

I have never heard of the strategy of eating on the toilet in darkness to keep your child safe.  Are you sure it definitely works?

St_Eddie

Quote from: DolphinFace on March 25, 2019, 10:01:32 PM
It kept her asleep nobhead.

Imagine growing up, finding the whale like wails of your Mother's or Father's anus as being the soothing sound which waves you off to the land of diuretic nod.  Something to drift off to.  A field of brown dreams.  Pure desolation.

Replies From View

Elvis was supervising a child on the day he shat himself to death on the toilet. 

Makes you think.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: St_Eddie on March 25, 2019, 11:01:15 PM
Imagine growing up, finding the whale like wails of your Mother's or Father's anus as being the soothing sound which waves you off to the land of diuretic nod.  Something to drift off to.  A field of brown dreams.  Pure desolation.

He/she was eating on the toilet, not shitting in it...dumbo.

St_Eddie

Quote from: BlodwynPig on March 26, 2019, 12:56:06 AM

Oh, of course!  Now it's acceptable.  Now it's charming.

Replies From View

Quote from: BlodwynPig on March 26, 2019, 12:56:06 AM

Both Elvis and Dumbo are established as male in their respective universes.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Replies From View on March 26, 2019, 01:11:08 AM
Both Elvis and Dumbo are established as male in their respective universes.

Not in this universe though.  In this universe they're both kumquats.  Kumquats what gone done and died on the toilet.  Well, not Dumbo.  That abomination died on the researcher's lab table.  Too many slices and jolts, apparently.  Still, at least we learned that a elephant never forgets the sensation of agony.  In the name of science, as the mad bloke with the bonesaw took to Dumbo's ears infamously said, "let's see an elephant cry".

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: icehaven on March 25, 2019, 08:38:08 PM
Yeah as I said in an earlier post every parent I've asked about this has said there's no way they would, but then that's always been in the context of a discussion about Madeleine McCann so of course they'd say that.

I went to Butlins with my Mum when I was about 9 (so the late 80s) and they did a 'Kid's Club', effectively a playscheme where a couple of red coats took a huge group of kids around the resort all day so their parents could do their own thing. I remember my Mum saying she thought that was awful, and in hindsight now it can't have been particularly safe either (no more than a school trip I guess (although they're supervised by teachers and assistants and parents rather than a couple of holiday reps.) But enough parents obviously were happy to use it.

I've been told by someone who worked at Butlin's for consecutive summers that it was fairly common - and apparently unremarkable - to hear announcements over the PA system of "a baby/child crying in chalet B432", or whatever. This would be in the evenings while shows were going on and adults were in the bars. There was a system of patrols specifically to listen out for that sort of thing. This would have been late 1970s, early 80s.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on March 26, 2019, 01:55:49 AM
I've been told by someone who worked at Butlin's for consecutive summers that it was fairly common - and apparently unremarkable - to hear announcements over the PA system of "a baby/child crying in chalet B432", or whatever. This would be in the evenings while shows were going on and adults were in the bars. There was a system of patrols specifically to listen out for that sort of thing. This would have been late 1970s, early 80s.

The pertinent question is 'why were Butlins providing a personalised alarm system to Sir Jimmy Savile?'  These are the questions which, quite frankly, have to be asked.

Hey, Punk!

Quote from: St_Eddie on March 20, 2019, 11:36:49 PM
What really grinds my gears is whenever the topic of the McCann's comes up in conversation with friends and family (to be fair, always initiated by myself), I begin to explain why they're most likely guilty, only to be immediately shut down.  "Oh no, Ed.  You mustn't believe in conspiracies.  Some awful person abducted poor Madeleine".  Every. Single. Time.  Oh, I'm sorry.  Excuse me for doing dozens of hours of research, whilst you got all of your information from the rags and half watching the news.  Clearly you know better than I.

That's very interesting, as everyone I know is convinced they're responsible in some way. I'm usually a contrarian, but I lean towards them being responsible too (although I've done absolutely zero research).

I was talking about the documentary with some work colleagues and it's left them buying fully into the abduction theory. Netflix really painted the McCanns in a sympathetic light.

Were there ever any interviews where Kate and Gerry showed remorse for leaving their three children unattended or àdmitting they made a mistake?

St_Eddie

Quote from: confettiinmyhair on March 26, 2019, 06:43:24 AM
We're there ever any interviews where Kate and Gerry showed remorse for leaving their three children unattended or àdmitting they made a mistake?

Not to my knowledge.  However, on the topic of interviews, their body language is fascinating.  Guilty as all heck.  Bucket loads of duping delight and incongruous signals.

Because I always wondered, if they admitted fault could they have faced a charge of neglect? Even though admitting they made a terrible mistake of leaving their children would have garnered more public sympathy. It's the equivalent of letting your kids play in the street and they get abducted. The idea that other parents could've made the same mistake, like evidently parents who took their kids to Butlins in the past.

St_Eddie

Quote from: confettiinmyhair on March 26, 2019, 07:18:30 AM
Because I always wondered, if they admitted fault could they have faced a charge of neglect? Even though admitting they made a terrible mistake of leaving their children would have garnered more public sympathy. It's the equivalent of letting your kids play in the street and they get abducted. The idea that other parents could've made the same mistake, like evidently parents who took their kids to Butlins in the past.

More like dosing your kids up with drugs and sending them out into the street to fend for themselves, so that you can go out on the town and get drunk.  Custody of their two youngest children would most likely have be taken away from them, as well as being stricken off from the medical register and they may well have faced jail time.  Hence their desire to cover it up.  Well, in theory at least.

DrGreggles

Quote from: confettiinmyhair on March 26, 2019, 07:18:30 AM

They also lied about being able to see the apartment from the restaurant (they couldn't) and how long it took to get to the apartment from the restaurant (minutes rather than seconds).

Icehaven

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on March 26, 2019, 01:55:49 AM

Well I'm guessing the Kid's Club only ran during the day so what else were the poor parents supposed to do of an evening, actually spend some time with their children?

Jockice

St_Eddie

Quote from: Jockice on March 26, 2019, 09:04:12 AM
Hang the bastards! NOW!

Hanging's too good for them.  Set the cadaver dogs on 'em.

Jockice

Quote from: Kishi the Bad Lampshade on March 25, 2019, 06:50:20 PM

Well, I spent most of my childhood in the 1970s and the rules were quite different then. My family never did holidays (I'd get bundled off to stay with relatives every year, although we did have a couple of weeks in a caravan park when I was about 14) but in general I was given an amount of freedom that would be considered shocking now.

I was walking to school on my own almost as soon as I started (although a year later my slightly younger cousin would accompany me), would go out to play and end up wandering round random places, getting into adventures etc. One of my first memories from before I even started school was of looking down a lift shaft in flats that were being built near where I lived. I do remember arriving home one day when I was about nine to find my folks had called the police because I'd been away for a few hours. I'd been round at a friend's place watching a football match on TV and couldn't see what all the fuss was about. It didn't seem unusual to me.

As far as I'm aware it was the same for most of my friends and contemporaries. There were always a couple who seemed to be constrained by their parents but they were the exceptions to the rule.

Jockice

And I went on a school trip to France when I was 12 and distinctly remember wandering around on my own on at least one occasion, to no outcry from the teachers. I think the kids would actually be chained together nowadays.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Jockice on March 26, 2019, 09:27:10 AM
Well, I spent most of my childhood in the 1970s and the rules were quite different then. My family never did holidays (I'd get bundled off to stay with relatives every year, although we did have a couple of weeks in a caravan park when I was about 14) but in general I was given an amount of freedom that would be considered shocking now.

Eh, it's fair enough.  Peadophiles and murderers weren't invented until the 80's.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain