Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:17:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Netflix Madeleine McCann docco

Started by thugler, March 20, 2019, 10:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

St_Eddie

Quote from: GMTV on March 28, 2019, 08:09:19 AM
They probably look guilty because they're at least guilty of something. They either feel the guilt of leaving their children alone for something like this to happen, or else guilt because they were actually involved in it somehow.

This reminds me of an interesting observation.  The McCanns have held steady in their stance of "we're not to blame.  What happened to Madeleine didn't happen because we left her in the apartment, whilst we wined and dined at the tapas bar".  Such statements don't ring true to me as something that a truly innocent parent would say.

I would have thought that an innocent parent would absolutely feel guilt and blame themselves even if it wasn't their fault in any way whatsoever.  How often do you hear people who've had, for example, a relative die in a car crash say "but if I hadn't spoken to them earlier that day and delayed them for a couple of minutes, prior to them leaving to get in their car, then they might still be alive!  It's all my fault".

jobotic

Quote from: St_Eddie on March 27, 2019, 11:37:51 PM
I don't know but now that you mention it, didn't the McCanns refuse take part in it?  I'm not up to date with such things.  I've read enough about the documentary within this thread (which is the first I heard of the documentary, incidentally) to know that it's not something I hold any interest in watching.

But what about your research?

St_Eddie

Quote from: jobotic on March 28, 2019, 09:21:38 AM
But what about your research?

The research that I did years ago, well before this Netflix documentary was even announced you mean?

GMTV

Quote from: St_Eddie on March 28, 2019, 08:22:46 AM
This reminds me of an interesting observation.  The McCanns have held steady in their stance of "we're not to blame.  What happened to Madeleine didn't happen because we left her in the apartment, whilst we wined and dined at the tapas bar".  Such statements don't ring true to me as something that a truly innocent parent would say.

I would have thought that an innocent parent would absolutely feel guilt and blame themselves even if it wasn't their fault in any way whatsoever.  How often do you hear people who've had, for example, a relative die in a car crash say "but if I hadn't spoken to them earlier that day and delayed them for a couple of minutes, prior to them leaving to get in their car, then they might still be alive!  It's all my fault".

There's two of them and they've got two other kids. Could be a case of circling the wagon and thinking they want to protect their life as it was.

There's definitely a bit of juxtaposition with the apparently stoic brushing off what happened with the mass hysterical mawkishiness they fostered with the massive PR campaign.

There's definitely SOMETHING that doesn't ring true in all this. And as a minimum they've been guilty (morally at least) of some form of negligent behaviour.

It's the fact there's definitely some kind of manipulation of the facts, and the general lack of information that fosters the general interest and conspiracy generation on the subject.

Replies From View

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on March 28, 2019, 06:34:45 AM
Couldn't we refer to her as Murderedbyparents McStiffkid ? ( one for the " deed poll" thread on H S Art, maybe ? )

Don't know why they have to always be Scottish.

kalowski

Quote from: GMTV on March 28, 2019, 08:09:19 AM
They probably look guilty because they're at least guilty of something. They either feel the guilt of leaving their children alone for something like this to happen, or else guilt because they were actually involved in it somehow.
We're all guilty of something. I once left a Pizza Hut in Sheffield without paying £3 for the as much as you can eat bargain.

Jockice

Quote from: kalowski on March 28, 2019, 06:25:46 PM
We're all guilty of something. I once left a Pizza Hut in Sheffield without paying £3 for the as much as you can eat bargain.

i once drove all the way to York from Sheffield, had a pizza in a restaurant, left without paying and then drove straight home. It was an accident, honestly.

DrGreggles

You could've just claimed that you could've easily eaten more.

gatchamandave

Or that an unknown someone broke into the Pizza Hut, stole the pizza but left the others behind, legged it and you just don't understand why everyone thinks you did it.

Then launch your own investigation funded by donations from the public, write a book, do the pundit round and insist the police cleared your name, even if they didn't.

GMTV

Over £10m later Pizza Hut are still no closer to finding their multiple slices of pizza.

kalowski

Look, I went for a few slices of pizza with Robert Murat and Clement Freud. What's wrong with that?

imitationleather

I went for a pizza with Ian Watkins and much to my chagrin the dancer from Steps turned up. 

monkfromhavana

I have not followed this with any closeness, so perhaps someone could clarify this without me wading through the whole lot.

Cadaver dogs detect the stench of death in hire care.
McCanns say they hired car after disappearance so the smell was nowt to do with them.

Who hired the care prior to the McCanns? Because there is one of two options. The personw ho hired the car before has killed someone and should be caught, or the McCanns paid someone to hire the car for them, they dumped the body, gave it back to bloke to take back, then they went and hired it after the disappearance.

Bit of a leap, mind.

phes

Or they just sat in the car with some stinky cadaverous items

Replies From View

Quote from: imitationleather on March 29, 2019, 07:39:04 AM
I went for a pizza with Ian Watkins and much to my chagrin the dancer from Steps turned up.

Hmm she did suddenly spring out of nowhere when MCGANN disappeared, didn't she.

Interesting one.

Replies From View

Quote from: phes on March 29, 2019, 08:05:36 AM
Or they just sat in the car with some stinky cadaverous items

Don't mock a busman's holiday thank you.

DrGreggles

Quote from: monkfromhavana on March 29, 2019, 08:01:19 AM

Yep, and in 2 places in the apartment.

QuoteMcCanns say they hired car after disappearance so the smell was nowt to do with them.

Unless the car was used to move the body.

St_Eddie

I have not followed this with any closeness, so perhaps someone could clarify this without me wading through the whole lot.

McCanns say they hired car after disappearance so the smell was nowt to do with them.

Who hired the care prior to the McCanns? Because there is one of two options. The personw ho hired the car before has killed someone and should be caught, or the McCanns paid someone to hire the car for them, they dumped the body, gave it back to bloke to take back, then they went and hired it after the disappearance.

Bit of a leap, mind.

It could have been the stench of the twins nappies, I suppose.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: St_Eddie on March 30, 2019, 10:45:00 AM
It could have been the stench of the twins nappies, I suppose.

you'd shit yourself too, if you'd just seen your mam & dad chopping up your big sister's carcass & squeezing it into the kenwood.

sponk

Or the dogs were wrong?

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: sponk on March 30, 2019, 07:05:04 PM
Or the dogs were wrong?

these particular dogs have a pretty good rep, vis-a-vis sniffing out bits of deceased human.

Replies From View

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on March 30, 2019, 07:22:50 PM
these particular dogs have a pretty good rep, vis-a-vis sniffing out bits of deceased human.

Which bits, though?

I mean maybe they have a good rep for sniffing out specifically the necks and collar bones of deceased human, but are ABSOLUTE SHITE when it comes to other bits (eg the leg bones or the arm bones or the skull bones).

shiftwork2

I tried an hour and there was no new info at all.  14 more hours (presumably) of deadening aerial shots over the resort and holidaymakers who have been tracked down and have had ludicrously expensive establishing shots done in their home town does not appeal at all.  Looks like a 1h doc.

The McCanns did it by the way.  Never underestimate the entitlement and pack mentality of members of the medical profession.

Puce Moment

Lads, apologies for bumping this but I only just got around to catching up with this series.

Well, this was exactly what I thought it would be. I will say that I definitely oscillated between DEFINITELY DID IT and DEFINITELY DIDN'T DO IT which surprised me.

However, what I don't understand is that, firstly, Netflix made this into a fucking long, bloated series with a shitload of tangents, diversions and time-filling which pissed me off. But then, that they pounced upon every tiny morsel of bullshit and chose to completely and utterly ignore the Clement Freud connection seems ludicrous. He owns a villa in Praia Da Luz extremely near to where the McCann's were staying, he has a history of sexually abusing young girls, and he formed a close friendship with the McCann's after Maddie went missing. Freud and Murat also drank in the same pub, and were on 'head nodding terms'.

Apparently, his family have shown/proven that he was in the UK when Maddie went missing, but to not mention it AT ALL whilst spending a whole episode on a completely different kid who went missing seemed very odd. I'm not saying he is definitely connected at all, and probably has nothing to do with the disappearance, but to not mention something so pertinent seems odd. Surely it wasn't a legal issue?

Anyway, there were some interesting aspects of this show - they spent a lot of time on the dogs which was intriguing. Not least, because they were SO good that they could pick up a very old scent. In the end, the doc seemed to come down on the side of 'the dogs are not credible' which was at the time the most damning aspects of the case against them.

DrGreggles

Didn't read your post but, yeah, I agree, the parents did it.