Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:59:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Netflix Madeleine McCann docco

Started by thugler, March 20, 2019, 10:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Endicott

ToneLa

All this criticism of the McCanns is bang oot ay order

I mean, what's the point in being a doc if ye can't even sedate yir own children?

PlanktonSideburns

I'll only watch this if it's 80 percent drone shots of Portuguese villas

Bently Sheds

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on March 20, 2019, 11:01:40 PM
Do they mention anything about Clement Freud popping up like a nonce digglet seconds after it all kicked off? Did I dream that bit?
"Nonce digglet" - marvellous.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on March 21, 2019, 07:06:10 AM
For famous criminals, it seems that documentaries are the legal process. Specially for nonce type business. If I was nonce I'd work for Netflix

I rewatched Black Pond last night, wonder if that'll get on Netflix.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: DrGreggles on March 21, 2019, 09:10:32 AM
Maybe it will generate sufficient new interest to finally get the guilty parties investigated.

BTW, has anyone checked out Armchair Detective's channel on YouTube?
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCty8d_O6ItjNx6-hjd10pjw
Probably the most thorough documentary I've seen.

I watched the series by the guy from the North-East. He straddles the chasm between good investigative work and conspiracy theory loon - this Netflix doc seems to be covering the same ground minus overt looniness.

Rolf Lundgren

I went into this pretty convinced that the parents had something to do with it and afterwards had more doubt about it. I think they still did it but the endless publicity that they've courted seems at odds with people wanting to get away with a crime. But then again I don't believe the idea that a human trafficker randomly found an unlocked hotel room and ran off with her.

The documentary is alright but it's padded out over eight episodes and doesn't have a strong point of view. There definitely isn't anything new you learn if you've already got a decent enough understanding of the case. They could have wrapped it up in a much shorter space of time and not lost anything. The Robert Murat part was interesting as it showed how he got caught up in it purely because one journalist thought he was being overly helpful. Messed up his life for being a good samaritan. Sergey Malinka seemed unfairly entangled too and the bully boy tactics of the Scottish millionaire's son particularly harsh.

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on March 21, 2019, 12:10:00 PM
I'll only watch this if it's 80 percent drone shots of Portuguese villas

Well you're not far off. There's loads of drone shots of the beach.

bgmnts

Just to clarify, this documentary is geared towards people unfamiliar with the Madeleine McCann case, right?

It makes me feel old as fuck but it happened 12 years ago. Half the people watching Netflix probably would have been 8 or 9 and had no clue beyond memes or something.

hummingofevil

Quote from: BlodwynPig on March 21, 2019, 12:47:19 AM
1 minute into the first epsidode. Kelvin MacKenzie "you could make 10 movies of this and no-one would believe it"

Switched off.

I was just about to type exactly this. The doc is a complete waste of everyone's time.

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on March 21, 2019, 03:53:21 PM
I went into this pretty convinced that the parents had something to do with it and afterwards had more doubt about it. I think they still did it but the endless publicity that they've courted seems at odds with people wanting to get away with a crime. But then again I don't believe the idea that a human trafficker randomly found an unlocked hotel room and ran off with her.

People are still throwing money and publicity at them. They'd look more guilty if they turned that down.

"Would you like £500k to continue the search?"

"Nah, not bothered now. Knocking it on the head, mate. Speaking of knocking Maddie on the hea-" *Kate elbows him hard in the ribs* "Shit, I mean, thanks, we'd be delighted to accept your money and continue the search for our missing daughter."

Wet Blanket

Quote from: St_Eddie on March 20, 2019, 11:15:40 PM
The most likely scenario is that the MaCann's sedated Madeleine so that they could go out for dinner, leaving the children unattended.  Whilst they were dining, Madeleine got up, fell to the tiled floor, cracking her head open.  The McCann's return, find her body, cover up the evidence, make phone calls to their friends in high  places, dispose of the body (most likely down one of the hundreds of wells within the local area) and wait a few days before reporting her missing.  They knew that if they were to tell the authorities of what actually happened, then they would be liable to lose custody of their two youngest children (as well as face jail time).

I've spent at least 15 hours researching the case and that's by far the most plausible explanation.

This is very plausible and may well be the case, but it boggles the mind the levels of callousness needed to pull it off - accidentally murdering your own daughter would be enough to send an average person mental, covering it up and then living the lie under constant media scrutiny ever since is an incredible act of sociopathy just for a single person, let alone a couple. You'd think one of them would have broken by now.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Wet Blanket on March 21, 2019, 04:53:57 PM
This is very plausible and may well be the case, but it boggles the mind the levels of callousness needed to pull it off - accidentally murdering your own daughter would be enough to send an average person mental, covering it up and then living the lie under constant media scrutiny ever since is an incredible act of sociopathy just for a single person, let alone a couple. You'd think one of them would have broken by now.

The children were just a supplement to their upper middle class lifestyle.

kngen

My mate, who is a medical professional (of sorts, when he's not being forced to taking paid leave for threatening his boss), convinced me of their guilt from the beginning with two interesting observations:

1) Doctors will dose themselves up – and anyone within touching distance - at the drop of a hat, and he'd witnessed more than a few cases of GPs etc being a bit too liberal with their bags of tricks, especially when it's time to get the wee ones to sleep for a long trip/flight etc, but they'd been more fortunate than the McCanns in that no-one actually died.

2) It's not rare for doctors - especially the posh ones - to be fucking obsessed with being the status of purely being a doctor. 'They'd rather die than be struck off. It's their whole reason for existing,' he told me darkly, before buying two pints each for us, and then sloping off to buy some coke at 2 in the afternoon.

It was compelling testimony, I have to admit. What would drive you to cover up the fact that you'd killed your daughter with prescription drugs? Fear of jail or public acrimony? Nah, too abstract. But realising your whole existence, to which you'd dedicated your whole life, with all those 120-hour weeks in some godforsaken inner-city A&E department, was about to be erased - that could motivate you to do something completely irrational like try and dispose of your child's body and blame it on a swarthy George Harrison lookalike.

Also, the cadaver dogs. (Has there been any kind of reasonable rebuttal to that?)

thraxx

I've just started watching this.

Are all the Brit expats on the Algarve insufferable busy-body Eldorado cunts, or just all the ones interviewed for this documentary?

rasta-spouse

Quote from: kngen on March 21, 2019, 08:39:33 PM
Also, the cadaver dogs. (Has there been any kind of reasonable rebuttal to that?)

I recall...

On the cuddly toy (Cuddle Kat) - Mrs McCann said she'd taken it into work several times, where it had come into contact with the dead on a primary or secondary level.

In the car boot - the McCanns said that they had stored a big pack of the kids' used nappies etc. in it and there had been some sort of leak.  I believe there was some DNA testing on the car boot, but because of the closeness between the younger kids DNA and Madeleine's DNA there was no conclusion.

Not sure about the rebuttal for the hotel cupboard, wall and flowerbed. But you can see that everything from the dogs can be turned into a grey area quite easily.

DrGreggles

Quote from: rasta-spouse on March 21, 2019, 09:31:23 PM
you can see that everything from the dogs can be turned into a grey area quite easily.

Not sure any of that is a grey area though.
There's one very good reason why the dogs found what they did where they did.

lankyguy95

Quote from: bgmnts on March 21, 2019, 04:02:25 PM
Just to clarify, this documentary is geared towards people unfamiliar with the Madeleine McCann case, right?
Essentially, or at least for people who, like me, hadn't really done a great deal of reading on all the details of the case apart from the basic facts.

rasta-spouse

Quote from: DrGreggles on March 21, 2019, 10:05:06 PM

I'm with you on the dogs. It's very strong evidence, but the McCanns have done a good job at introducing that small molecule of uncertainty.

thugler

Jesus. The (i hope) last episode of this features the millionaire twat helping out the mccanns, doing loads of idiotic vigilante shit.

Golden E. Pump

Quote from: St_Eddie on March 20, 2019, 11:15:40 PM
The most likely scenario is that the MaCann's sedated Madeleine so that they could go out for dinner, leaving the children unattended.  Whilst they were dining, Madeleine got up, fell to the tiled floor, cracking her head open.  The McCann's return, find her body, cover up the evidence, make phone calls to their friends in high  places, dispose of the body (most likely down one of the hundreds of wells within the local area) and wait a few days before reporting her missing.  They knew that if they were to tell the authorities of what actually happened, then they would be liable to lose custody of their two youngest children (as well as face jail time).

I've spent at least 15 hours researching the case and that's by far the most plausible explanation.

Eddie, are you me? Because I share your exact thoughts on this and the MJ documentary.

kalowski

Quote from: rasta-spouse on March 21, 2019, 09:31:23 PM
I recall...

On the cuddly toy (Cuddle Kat) - Mrs McCann said she'd taken it into work several times, where it had come into contact with the dead on a primary or secondary level.

In the car boot - the McCanns said that they had stored a big pack of the kids' used nappies etc. in it and there had been some sort of leak.  I believe there was some DNA testing on the car boot, but because of the closeness between the younger kids DNA and Madeleine's DNA there was no conclusion.

Not sure about the rebuttal for the hotel cupboard, wall and flowerbed. But you can see that everything from the dogs can be turned into a grey area quite easily.
She'd taken her child's toy into work where it came into contact with dead bodies?

phantom_power

Quote from: DrGreggles on March 21, 2019, 10:05:06 PM

Everyone is talking like cadaver dogs are 100% reliable when that is very much far from the case

Christ, I just typed "cadaver dogs". I'm leaving

ToneLa

Quote from: kalowski on March 22, 2019, 07:50:51 AM
She'd taken her child's toy into work where it came into contact with dead bodies?

We've all been there

Apart from the work, the children, the toys and dead bodies

colacentral

Quote from: phantom_power on March 22, 2019, 07:56:58 AM
Everyone is talking like cadaver dogs are 100% reliable when that is very much far from the case

Christ, I just typed "cadaver dogs". I'm leaving

No, but they picked out very specific spots in the apartment, their car, and a specific outfit of Kate's (i.e. a shirt and trousers, not two shirts ans a jumper), as well as the cuddly toy. The dogs didn't accidentally pick out some stranger's shirt or car by accident either.

Considering the set-up to the dog segment showed an FBI test where the same dogs picked out a cloth that had been washed three times out of a line-up of 15 identical cloths, I was surprised at how easily they were brushed off.

Really shite doc this, makes me angry thinking about it.

Icehaven

Quote from: bgmnts on March 21, 2019, 10:41:01 AM
They should be savaged anyway for leaving a child unattended in a foreign country so they could go on the piss. That is inadvisable to say the least.

I remember when it first happened there was a lot of, er, 'surprise' at that. I don't know much about the case and haven't watched the doc, but one of my colleagues has so we were discussing it and she said that most of other couples they were having dinner with had also got children they'd left in their chalets or houses or whatever. Is that right? If so, if that's normal at that resort (or was anyway), surely it was only a matter of time until someone looking to kidnap children cottoned on and took advantage. I'm surprised it hadn't happened before tbh. I'm not a parent but I've asked a few people I know who are if they'd have left their kids like that and they all said ''No.'' Perhaps they'd obviously say that in the context of a discussion about Madeline McCann, but still.

Replies From View

Maybe there was still some cadaver up inside the cadaver dogs' noses from last time, and they couldn't get the stench out even with the usual rinsing procedure.

All the evidence points towards the parents, but I just don't see how they could have hid her body with the eyes of the world on them 24/7. Unless they got rid of it before they reported her missing, but then how does that explain the scent in the rental car? And why would they court so much media attention when that would increase their chances of getting caught substantially? No scenario makes sense to me.

And if it was a kidnapper/trafficker, why didn't they take the much easier to carry younger sister instead? (or both?)

ToneLa

Maddie didn't exist in the first place!!

colacentral

Quote from: Carpool Dragon on March 22, 2019, 03:21:38 PM
All the evidence points towards the parents, but I just don't see how they could have hid her body with the eyes of the world on them 24/7. Unless they got rid of it before they reported her missing, but then how does that explain the scent in the rental car? And why would they court so much media attention when that would increase their chances of getting caught substantially? No scenario makes sense to me.

And if it was a kidnapper/trafficker, why didn't they take the much easier to carry younger sister instead? (or both?)

Maybe the cuddly toy or a blanket they used to wrap the body in or something left the scent in the rental car.