Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:36:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Netflix Madeleine McCann docco

Started by thugler, March 20, 2019, 10:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

St_Eddie

Quote from: Replies From View on March 23, 2019, 01:36:00 PM
Remember the golden rule of child abduction/death:

If the parents are to blame
Then it isn't a shame

"I'm getting a name.  'Chips'.  I'm getting Chips.  Does any here go by the name of Mr. Chips?  Perhaps it's a nickname because you're squat and have a red nose due to alcoholism?  No?  Oh hold on, Sheba's channeling something... oh right, I see!  McCain chips. McCain? Mc...Cann?  McCann?  Ah, yes!  The couple hurriedly moving towards the exit at the back."

"I feel your pain, I feel your shame but you're not to blame.  How were you to know that drugging your daughter and leaving her unattended would inadvertently lead to her death?"

"Yep, they know what I'm talking about."

"God bless.  Peace and love."

rasta-spouse

Is this doc quite pro-McCann then?

There's a good summary of the evidence against the McCanns written up by a solicitor called Tony Bennet. He sent this document to lots of MPs (including Cameron and May) around 2012-2013.

Uncle TechTip

How do you track one's GPS after the event, without planting some device (or software on their phone except they weren't as advanced then), or without them turning over the info voluntarily? Or are you talking about mobile phone mast records, which can't give you such accuracy as to conclude something "strange" was going on?

St_Eddie

Quote from: rasta-spouse on March 23, 2019, 05:58:09 PM

I've not watched it but apparently, yes.  You're unlikely to see anything other than a pro-McCann spin piece from the mainstream media.  Friends-in-high-places.

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on March 23, 2019, 05:59:07 PM
How do you track one's GPS after the event, without planting some device (or software on their phone except they weren't as advanced then), or without them turning over the info voluntarily? Or are you talking about mobile phone mast records, which can't give you such accuracy as to conclude something "strange" was going on?

I honestly don't know the answer to that.  I'm willing to concede defeat on that one.  As I said, it was an outlier theory, in part because the source for that information was unverified.

Cuellar

Yeah, watching it now, about 6/7 episodes in. Once the dogs turn up and finger the McCanns it turns on them a bit, but then when THAT is revealed to be gubbins it goes back to laying into the Portugese.

I find the millionaire Brits who get involved very suspect, bumbling around thinking they know better than police, trying to bug houses, track cars - stupid cunts. Robert Murat's life was effectively ruined for wanting to help, and now these guys roll up and bankroll everything and no one bats an eye? Not to mention Philip Green, famous sex pest, lent his jet to the McCanns for some reason.

Sin Agog

I'm pro-Madeleine McCann, too.

Whenever I see her name, a little rhyme from the cartoon pops into my head.  'We love our bread, we love our butter, but most of all we love zolpidem pills prescribed by our mother.'

Kelvin

BlodwynPig

DrGreggles

Quote from: Cuellar on March 23, 2019, 06:30:46 PM
Yeah, watching it now, about 6/7 episodes in. Once the dogs turn up and finger the McCanns it turns on them a bit, but then when THAT is revealed to be gubbins it goes back to laying into the Portugese.

Not sure what they revealed or why it's gubbins.

hummingofevil

I find the millionaire Brits who get involved very suspect, bumbling around thinking they know better than police, trying to bug houses, track cars - stupid cunts. Robert Murat's life was effectively ruined for wanting to help, and now these guys roll up and bankroll everything and no one bats an eye? Not to mention Philip Green, famous sex pest, lent his jet to the McCanns for some reason.

Agreed. The son in particular is a massive cunt and him boasting about bullying that Russian fella is a disgrace. The whole documentary was fucking dreadful and with this and the Louis Theroux sex case one I am really starting to worry about where this is taking television. It's bad enough having pointlessly long TV shows just so Netflix can report longer view engagement numbers but for that filler to be unchallenged, unsubstantiated rumours accusing people of being child murders or lying about being sexually assaulted is not fucking on.

I've just realised all this stuff is rooted in Nick Broomfield's approach to wanking cock shit onto a screen film making. It's the I'll let the audience decide where the truth lies despite presenting them with a highly selective and edited version of reality which is completely cowardly and dangerous as it gives films a false sense of balance just because he never drew his own conclusion on screen.

The bit that summed him up for me was when he made some sarccy comment about Courtney Love not letting him use Nirvana's music on Kurt and Courtney when he basically spent 90s mins implying that she killed him. AND THEN made some weaselly as fuck comment in final scene about how we will never truly know the truth *nod nod wink wink* Cunt.

thugler

The doc certainly presents it as gubbins, but gubbins it is not

gatchamandave

Quote from: kalowski on March 23, 2019, 08:05:46 AM
Don't misunderstand me, I was just chuckling to myself as St Eddie made claims and then said "go and look at the evidence". I don't necessarily disagree with his interpretation, I just think the burden of proof is on the one making the claim.

I'll do some lifting for Eddie.

The McCanns were part of the group of nine adults that went to Portugal. However, they maintained something of a distance from the main body of the group, taking part in the occasional game of tennis and boozing with the others at night. Beyond that, the family pretty much kept itself to itself.

There are no reliable sightings of Madeline after the Wednesday afternoon, no one has any photos of her at all beyond the Sunday one except for a dubious one that the McCanns claim is of her watching Gerry playing tennis on the Thursday afternoon. Problem is, no one else could confidently state that she was there, including the other tennis players.

Keep in mind that from the start the McCanns had two agendas

1 Help find Madeline

2 We absolutely did not have anything to do with this. If you say we did, our influential mates will destroy you

Cuellar

Quote from: thugler on March 24, 2019, 10:21:39 AM
The doc certainly presents it as gubbins, but gubbins it is not

I thought the stuff they tested on the strength of the dogs was inconclusive, but the Portuguese police jumped the gun on it?

Replies From View

Quote from: gatchamandave on March 24, 2019, 10:50:14 AM
2 We absolutely did not have anything to do with this. If you say we did, our influential mates will destroy you

When did they start stating this?  Right from the very beginning?

José

it was shite but i can't help laugh at the p.i (who looks like john turtorro with a manbun) blowing up that russian nerds car

DrGreggles

Quote from: José on March 24, 2019, 07:49:02 PM
it was shite but i can't help laugh at the p.i (who looks like john turtorro with a manbun) blowing up that russian nerds car

YES! Was trying to pinpoint his lookylikeyness.

Rolf Lundgren

Quote from: gatchamandave on March 24, 2019, 10:50:14 AM

Who are these influential mates? I've heard a few things about friends in high places but not anything concrete. I know of Clement Freud and Philip Green's involvement but thought that was all after Madeleine went missing.

thraxx

Quote from: rasta-spouse on March 23, 2019, 05:58:09 PM

Yes.

Well it tries to wrong foot you with the dog evidence and a pile on from various talking heads from local busy bodies to portuguese TV presenters, but then about episode 5 it about turns and goes hard for the McCanns.  Dogs evidence is rubbished and all the talking heads who had it in for the McCann's admit they were wrong and even ashamed to have criticized them.

Having watched the doc I am less sure than I was before; I always try to apply the old Occam's Razor in these type of things.  Anyway, who the fuck leaves their kids alone for even 10 minutes with the door open in the evening when your appartment faces onto the street?

Who paid for and directed this thing?  In the end the tone smacks of those Scientology anti-defamation type films, a party political broadcast for the McCanns.  And it never needs to be 8 hours long, shit.

rasta-spouse

Quote from: thraxx on March 24, 2019, 10:03:10 PM

Who paid for and directed this thing?  In the end the tone smacks of those Scientology anti-defamation type films, a party political broadcast for the McCanns.

Funny you should say that, as the McCanns' lawyers are Carter-Ruck who represent people like Trafigura, Scientology and various despotic nations.

Cuellar

I was very happy when it turns out Kevin Oakley is a complete charlatan and those fucking double glazing cunts paid him shit loads of money for fuck all.

Ha ha. Pricks.

Is the firm still known as Carter-Fuck by Private Eye now that the founder is deceased?

gatchamandave

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on March 24, 2019, 10:01:46 PM
Who are these influential mates? I've heard a few things about friends in high places but not anything concrete. I know of Clement Freud and Philip Green's involvement but thought that was all after Madeleine went missing.

They had several lengthy phone calls with David Milliband, then Foreign Secretary, Gordon Brown and eventually Tony Blair

gatchamandave

They had several lengthy phone calls with David Milliband, then Foreign Secretary, Gordon Brown and eventually Tony Blair

And they met the Pope. Who initially supported them, then withdrew said support for undisclosed reasons.

daf

Quote from: gatchamandave on March 25, 2019, 02:41:11 PM
And they met the Pope. Who initially supported them, then withdrew said support for undisclosed reasons.

Well, he is a Catholic, after all!!

QDRPHNC

My mum used to load me up with Calpol every single night and I turned out alright didn't get murdered.

St_Eddie

Quote from: QDRPHNC on March 25, 2019, 05:33:51 PM
My mum used to load me up with Calpol every single night and I turned out alright didn't get murdered man-slaughtered.

Fixed that for you.

Rolf Lundgren

Quote from: gatchamandave on March 25, 2019, 02:41:11 PM

I'm willing to believe they were involved because it was such a big media story and international affair. It seems unlikely the McCanns would call them up and ask them to let them get away with murder. 

St_Eddie

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on March 25, 2019, 06:18:56 PM
I'm willing to believe they were involved because it was such a big media story and international affair. It seems unlikely the McCanns would call them up and ask them to let them get away with murder.

As guilty as I believe the McCanns to be, I'm inclined to agree.  I don't think that their friends-in-high-places extends that far.