Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,574,326
  • Total Topics: 106,599
  • Online Today: 546
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 05:41:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Internet Dating [split topic]

Started by AliasTheCat, March 20, 2019, 08:35:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phes

Got on tinder today after not doing any swiping for a couple of weeks. I reckon out of the new people who signed up (yeah I've swiped everyone in my area in the last year) that a good 1/2 to 2/3rds went left without me so much as looking at a bio on account of the photos being so deliberately geometrically obfuscating, blurred or filtered that you couldn't tell what they look like. It's a fucking plague isn't it

sponk

Does anyone swipe right on everyone? I used to when I was tindering, probably swiped right on tens of thousands of accounts in a 30 mile radius covering several major cities. Got maybe 1-200 matches. It would be nice to think that theories about shadowbanning accounts that employ this tactic are true, but I'm not sure. It's a pretty unethical approach anyway, I feel bad for having done it.

Icehaven

Quote from: sponk on March 27, 2019, 09:17:23 PM
Does anyone swipe right on everyone? I used to when I was tindering, probably swiped right on tens of thousands of accounts in a 30 mile radius covering several major cities. Got maybe 1-200 matches. It would be nice to think that theories about shadowbanning accounts that employ this tactic are true, but I'm not sure. It's a pretty unethical approach anyway, I feel bad for having done it.

Do you have to swipe right before you can see more info about the person? Because if someone really isn't that fussy about looks but that's all you're initially allowed to go by then they may as well swipe right on everyone.

Lord Mandrake

I'm done. I'm done with the entire internet except amazon and just lurking around here.

phes

Quote from: sponk on March 27, 2019, 09:17:23 PM

I did that at first as I'd just moved here and didn't know anyone. It probably isn't really cricket and I couldn't be doing it any more anyway now that I have to build bleeeeurgh professional relationships with people who don't all think I'm trying to fuck them

sponk

Quote from: icehaven on March 27, 2019, 09:31:12 PM
Do you have to swipe right before you can see more info about the person? Because if someone really isn't that fussy about looks but that's all you're initially allowed to go by then they may as well swipe right on everyone.

When you swipe right their profile disappears forever unless they match you. You can check all their info and pics before swiping but I seldom did.

phes

I love a furiously scribbled out ex.

king_tubby

I bet you do, phes, you dirty old bollocks. I bet you fucking do.

phes

nobody talks to me like that...

YOU'RE FUCKING SCRIBBLED OUT MATE

phes

I see quite often:

I've got 3 kids and a high powered job that leaves me very little time. I'm ready to find someone to share my life with. No casual, fwb, ons, looking for something genuine and long lasting

Umm. Wtf is in this for, well, anyone. You can't have everything

St_Eddie

Quote from: phes on March 27, 2019, 10:21:18 PM
I see quite often:

I've got 3 kids and a high powered job that leaves me very little time. I'm ready to find someone to share my life with. No casual, fwb, ons, looking for something genuine and long lasting

Umm. Wtf is in this for, well, anyone. You can't have everything

I suppose a babysitter looking to get paid in the currency of shags from the mother might be interested.

sponk

I hope some of our gay or female comrades can come along and tell us how pathetic and infuriating men on dating sites are. This thread needs to shake off it's incel vibes (that I've probably contributed to)

Danger Man

Quote from: sponk on March 27, 2019, 10:37:52 PM
I hope some of our gay or female comrades can come along and tell us how pathetic and infuriating men on dating sites are.

A lot of female profiles on Tinder are just complaining how shit the male profiles are. It would seem that a lot of men have photos with tigers, fish, expensive cars and their penises on display.

At least I stay classy and have a pic of me dressed for a funeral.

phes

I hope some of our gay or female comrades can come along and tell us how pathetic and infuriating men on dating sites are. This thread needs to shake off it's incel vibes (that I've probably contributed to)

I have seen the evidence and it is some shameful shit. And that's before you get to the messages

Edit: I should probably clarify that I really like dating apps. It's been a game changer for me and I've met some fantastic people. I'm just a jaded misanthrope when it comes to profiles and love griping about them

St_Eddie

Because only gay men and women could possibly find that kind of behaviour to be obnoxious?  The hive mind of the straight men?

Quote from: EditGlitch Removal Person on March 27, 2019, 11:24:04 PM
H appy to Helb

Oh, lordy.  The Edit Glitch Removal Person is drunk on the job again.

sponk

Quote from: St_Eddie on March 27, 2019, 11:24:32 PM
Because only gay men and women could possibly find that kind of behaviour to be obnoxious?  The hive mind of the straight men?

Because only gay men and women are likely to view other men's profiles on dating sites, and are therefore going to be in a position to come here and diss them

phes

Anyone got any funny stories then? I haven't. Not really.

Closest I have is a date in a pub. And she said Okey doke I've gotta get off now as i'm meeting some friends for drinks at a party. And she literally took out a pair of running shoes from her bag and left and ran away

sponk

Quote from: phes on March 27, 2019, 10:48:52 PM
Edit: I should probably clarify that I really like dating apps.

If you like dating apps you should try dating people next, it's much better!!!!

St_Eddie

Quote from: sponk on March 27, 2019, 11:30:57 PM
Because only gay men and women are likely to view other men's profiles on dating sites, and are therefore going to be in a position to come here and diss them

I think that I may have misconstrued your previous comment.  Apologies.

sponk

Quote from: Danger Man on March 27, 2019, 10:41:56 PM

A lot of female profiles on Tinder are just complaining how shit the male profiles are. It would seem that a lot of men have photos with tigers, fish, expensive cars and their penises on display.

This is true. Some women are driven power mad by the countless matches and hordes of desperate men falling at their feet and they give off vibes that make me think of roman emperors giving a thumbs up or down to bloodied gladiators. It's actually why I stopped tindering, along with the genuine fear that a message of mine would be screenshoted and posted on twitter to be laughed at by the world.

You've talked me round. Women are shite. Let's keep trashing them.

flotemysost

As with anything relating to communication and popular culture, there are always going to be cliches and trends on dating apps, and there are always going to be people who complain/laugh about them. I think I'm basically with phes in that although I joke about the weird/boring/hackneyed stuff that crops up again and again (and it can definitely be genuinely frustrating), it doesn't mean I'm writing off everyone on there.

I think the only thing I've ever put on my bio that was remotely like a critique of men's profiles, was something like 'if you've listed "banter" as an interest, I'm probably not the girl for you', but that was intended more as a joke/conversation starter.

Also, maybe I'm just swiping right on too many lefty soyboy cucks but in 5+ years of online dating I've yet to encounter that bastion of Tinder cliches, the unsolicited dick pic.

flotemysost

AliasTheCat

Just arranging my first date (via the internet, not ever) and think I'm beginning to get over the initial wave of terror that online dating caused me.
Sponk, my intention has never been to mock the women's profiles that I see, rather to try and articulate my own inadequacies and nervousness about trying online dating for the first time, and to get a little advice from anyone that's being doing it for a while.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote'if you've listed "banter" as an interest, I'm probably not the girl for you', but that was intended more as a joke/conversation starter.

Ooh, the banter becomes the bantee

phes

I've seen a lot of its all about the banter if you don't have bants then don't even get in touch. Usually I just message Hi Cunt and they don't reply

#NoBants

phes

Quote from: AliasTheCat on March 28, 2019, 10:39:33 PM
Just arranging my first date (via the internet, not ever)

This is all very exciting. I got one of those copy and paste icebreaker questions as a first message the other day and it was something along the lines of what would be your ideal first date? I sent back 'maybe a nice walk around the botanical gardens and a coffee in the sun, check we don't hate each other like'. And she messaged back GOD YOUR BORING then unmatched. Fair play to her

Hope you make the right decision and don't get cancelled like me

AliasTheCat

I matched with a really nice seeming woman, but her profile didn't give me much to go on with the exception of a photo taken at a Dutch cheese market. I was thus very pleased with my opener "I would ask you about this photo, but frankly I don't give Edam."
Her lack of response indicates that we probably wouldn't get on very well in person.

machotrouts

Sounds good, I'll try it

[messages some guy 'I WOULD ASK YOU ABOUT THIS PHOTO, BUT I DON'T GIVE A FUCKING SHIT']

Oh it's not working for me either