Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:48:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Internet Dating [split topic]

Started by AliasTheCat, March 20, 2019, 08:35:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
The entire set up is full of profiles that no one in their right mind would message though. There's the potato-quality crew, those listing all the reasons they hate men, those that can't write anything imaginative/engaging, some that just can't be fucked with writing anything substantial...

Then on top of that, these profiles will get tonnes of messages - many of them saying little more than 'hi lol' and some of them containing dick shots. And whether they have crafted a decent profile or not, the dick pics will form an avalanche that crowd out the decent blokes.

Plus, I tend to employ a fairly high risk strategy of sending messages designed to amuse me as much as generate replies. So if you send something like "Hi xxxx, hypothetically -  you are producing a TV show about the West Midlands dogging scene. Nick Knowles is signed up and willing to go undercover. Who else would you like to approach?" If they reply "The bloke who played Harold on Neighbours" then you've got a good un. Otherwise at best you're likely to get nothing or "omg why would u ask that".

Camp Tramp

I once messaged a bus driver. I asked her what she would do if a bomb was placed on her bus and she couldn't go below 50 mph?
She had never seen 'Speed' and thought that I was planning to bomb her bus.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: phes on September 16, 2019, 12:19:16 PM
But you wouldn't message these people would you?

I tried to enter into internet dating as non judgementally as possible. I responded to 'hi lol' messages from a lot of these people and each and every one was a stream of one-word answers, lols and negativity. To steal someone else's expression: Absolute potato-quality human beings.
I always assumed those people were bots, or data-thieves, or something.

Quote from: drummersaredeaf on September 16, 2019, 12:45:16 PM
I tend to employ a fairly high risk strategy of sending messages designed to amuse me as much as generate replies. So if you send something like "Hi xxxx, hypothetically -  you are producing a TV show about the West Midlands dogging scene. Nick Knowles is signed up and willing to go undercover. Who else would you like to approach?" If they reply "The bloke who played Harold on Neighbours" then you've got a good un. Otherwise at best you're likely to get nothing or "omg why would u ask that".

I follow the same strategy to find the gold, I wouldn't say that it was high risk - it just saves you a lot of time and also gets a conversation going immediately as you can both expand on the topic.

phes

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on September 16, 2019, 01:40:46 PM
I always assumed those people were bots, or data-thieves, or something.

It's pretty easy to tell the fakes from the genuine idiots. But these bots could not hold a candle to the deso thread

Tempted to trial a Legend Gary profile, but as my ma always said, don't ask the question if you're not prepared to live with the answer

shagatha crustie

Reviving this thread to ask: what's a good dating app that isn't Tinder or Bumble?

Having re-downloaded them to keep myself amused and less lonely in 2020, it's become apparent that neither are really designed to facilitate dates any more, and have transformed into total money-leeching schemes.

Googling alternatives is a minefield though, all these ridiculous names and gimmicks. Badoo, Hinge, Coffee and Bagel, Profoundly, Tastebuds...

peanutbutter

Hinge was alright pre pandemic in more populated areas. I think one big problem with the format is that every app seems to gradually become a thing people (including me) just thoughtlessly swipe when bored  So it all kind of depends on a new one coming along once every 18 months.

Birdie

I went back to Tinder a few weeks ago.

What was I thinking?

One like I got was from a man who said his wife had passed away two weeks ago from a long illness and as at Valentine's Day they would have been married for 30 years.

Just buried her and already looking for someone. Classy.

Icehaven

I usually read the Blind Date column on the Guardian website and since obviously they're all Zoom dates at the moment, there seems to be more of a tendency than ever to throw geography out of the window and set up dates between people who live nowhere near each other. I think there was even one where they lived in different countries. Naturally they're limited to who applies and in normal times they all seemed to live in London anyway, so it's probably just taking the opportunity to use up applicants who don't live near any others while it doesn't matter. 

Icehaven

Quote from: Birdie on February 18, 2021, 10:55:55 AM
I went back to Tinder a few weeks ago.

What was I thinking?

One like I got was from a man who said his wife had passed away two weeks ago from a long illness and as at Valentine's Day they would have been married for 30 years.

Just buried her and already looking for someone. Classy.

I wonder if his wife is aware she's passed away.

Marner and Me

Quote from: shagatha crustie on February 18, 2021, 09:30:18 AM
Reviving this thread to ask: what's a good dating app that isn't Tinder or Bumble?

Having re-downloaded them to keep myself amused and less lonely in 2020, it's become apparent that neither are really designed to facilitate dates any more, and have transformed into total money-leeching schemes.

Googling alternatives is a minefield though, all these ridiculous names and gimmicks. Badoo, Hinge, Coffee and Bagel, Profoundly, Tastebuds...
Fabswingers, what more do you need

I've massively quit all this shit and feel quite liberated for it. Our colleagues on Mumsnet seem to claim that men over 30 on OLD are all damaged, avoidant, or otherwise defective in some way, and I think if there's any truth in that then it's likely to be true both ways.

By the time you've filtered out on various criteria, you're left with a handful who have got to find you attractive and interesting, there has to be some sort of chemistry, and then you start to wonder why you see the same faces on all the apps and if they're just going to waste your time anyway.

Add in the pandemic and it's a waste of time. From experience if you don't meet within about a week it never happens anyway. The extra barriers of socially distanced walks and all that just seem much bother. I'll focus on pumping cash into justeat instead I think.