Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:57:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Petition to revoke Article 50 [split topic]

Started by Fambo Number Mive, March 21, 2019, 10:57:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jobotic

Quote from: biggytitbo on March 21, 2019, 11:41:19 AM
Sad that one of the finest comedy writers of the last 30 years fails to spot own massive irony implosion:

A man who has spent the last 2 years supporting a people's vote whose main strategy to try and win over brexit voters is calling them stupid racist idiots.

It's okay to tell Remainers that they are whingers though, in thrall of luvvies. You won I suppose, your privilege.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on March 21, 2019, 11:49:08 AM
Interesting. That's almost the same thing Raaaaaaaaab said yesterday when his integrity was questioned by James O'Brien. "Stop calling 17.5m people stupid."

#notatorythough

That May and Iannucci have the same tactics to get what they want is interesting though isn't it? Add to that the TIG group, whose tactics to get Corbyn to support their peoples vote is to constantly sling turds at Corbyn.

jobotic

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on March 21, 2019, 11:49:08 AM
Interesting. That's almost the same thing Raaaaaaaaab said yesterday when his integrity was questioned by James O'Brien. "Stop calling 17.5m people stupid."

#notatorythough

We hate the working classes. Don't forget that one. Usually said by people who spend every waking moment fucking them over.

DrGreggles

Quote from: biggytitbo on March 21, 2019, 11:50:56 AM

That May and Iannucci have the same tactics to get what they want is interesting though isn't it?

It's irrelevant as neither has any political power.

Soup Dogg

Quote from: biggytitbo on March 21, 2019, 11:50:56 AM

That May and Iannucci have the same tactics to get what they want is interesting though isn't it?

I, for one, am sick of comedy writer Armando Iannucci bringing the same withdrawal agreement before parliament time and time again

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: biggytitbo on March 21, 2019, 11:47:05 AMWhy doesnt May just stick a clause in her deal that gives Labour and the other main parties a seat at the table for the next round of negotiations, if they don't actually oppose the withdrawal act itself?
I literally can't think of anything less likely than this.

ToneLa

Howj Begg

a) Let's see how many signatures this petition gets. It's already almost 800k after less than 24 hours. So biggy can sneer that it's 5% of the referendum total, but soon it will be 10%, then 20%, then... who knows?

b) It's not Armando Iannucci signing this thing 800k times

c) Going to be a massive Remain march in That London this weekend. Let's see how many ppl are on that, eh?

d) Soon MPs are going to start sharing this thing. Then it becomes a political tool, rather than just a social media one

Edit: 815k since I posted

ToneLa

You can successfully confirm your signature from that petition's email now lads

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/241584

Holy shit I F5d it quickly three times in a row and it went up tens of thousands

idunnosomename

Soup Dogg

What I don't get is, don't the people signing this thing know we've already had a referendum????

Fambo Number Mive

Also, the petition has to be debated in Parliament.

ToneLa

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on March 21, 2019, 12:04:31 PM
Also, the petition has to be debated in Parliament.

Considered, Fambo, only Considered

A response is required mind.

Fambo Number Mive

Good point. Got ahead of myself there in all the excitement.

jobotic

Instead of signing luvvie petitions why don't we threaten leave MPs?

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/foreign-affairs/brexit/news/102690/excl-mps-advised-share-taxis-home-amid-fears-brexit

I can only extrapolate from this that ALL leave voters threaten MPs.

idunnosomename

Quote from: ToneLa on March 21, 2019, 12:05:44 PM
Considered, Fambo, only Considered

A response is required mind.

STOP WHINGING!!!!

jobotic

Down for Maintenance.

At May's order I reckon.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Howj Begg on March 21, 2019, 11:58:08 AM
a) Let's see how many signatures this petition gets. It's already almost 800k after less than 24 hours. So biggy can sneer that it's 5% of the referendum total, but soon it will be 10%, then 20%, then... who knows?

b) It's not Armando Iannucci signing this thing 800k times

c) Going to be a massive Remain march in That London this weekend. Let's see how many ppl are on that, eh?

d) Soon MPs are going to start sharing this thing. Then it becomes a political tool, rather than just a social media one

It doesn't matter how many signatures it gets if it's just the remain side having another go does it? Your vote isn't worth more because you go online and have another go on a website. Lewis Hamilton doesn't get double points the real Australian GP if he goes home and replays it on his Xbox.

I still don't understand Labour's position. Corbyn's on now saying how May's deal was rejected twice - but that was because they voted against it despite the fact they're not actually proposing changing the WA. He's saying the alternative is for labour to negotiate a different relationship with the EU, but he must know the EU won't negotiate on any future relationship until the WA is passed. That is in fact the whole point of the WA.

So why don't Labour propose an amendment that would see them supporting the WA on the condition that they have a place at the future negotiations?

Buelligan

Quote from: gib on March 21, 2019, 12:14:52 PM
Who do you think would make a better leader for Labour?

Probably Mrs Wogan, she makes a lovely cake and is a fool for D:Ream, so things could only get better under her.

Cuellar

Revoking article 50 isn't the same as having voted Remain in the referendum. You could quite conceivably have voted Leave and then seeing that we're heading for a fuck-up Brexit want article 50 revoked so we can have more time and maybe try again.

The EU won't like that, but what are we always saying? The EU can swivel! That's right.

ToneLa

It's up and down

I'm probably not helping it refreshing it so often but it's fascinating watching it leap so high every few seconds

Buelligan

I just done a sign.  Almost makes up for being denied a vote.  And I've sent it out to all my ex-pat chums.

Petey Pate

The second referendum petition which gained traction shortly after the 2016 result (but was created by a Leave supporter in case Remain won) got over 4 million signatures and was debated in Parliament, albeit not taken seriously.

Mr_Simnock

This one wil be dismissed even quicker, what a waste of time

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I don't think it's what we should do, but I signed as why not lob a signature-based grenade into proceedings right now. We are basically in the Boss Fight section of the level. Bring May down.

Also as Simnock says, this is a limp democratic mechanism at best. Why not use an example like this to break the paradigm and lead to a change of process?

biggytitbo

How can the same people who have spent 2 years demanding the public *must* be allowed another vote now say 'nah bollocks to that', don't allow them another vote, just revoke.

It kind of makes me suspect they didn't give the first shit about what the public thought all along.

Soup Dogg

It's not really all that contradictory a stance though, is it?

EDIT TO ADD THE OBVIOUS: They're pro-remain, feel the referendum was a stitch-up to deliver leave. If that's your main concern, either 2nd ref or revocation are perfectly valid things to want.

Norton Canes

I think at this point, it's simply the case that people are determined to remind a PM who's just informed everyone she's "on our side" is plainly talking bullshit.

bgmnts

What a waste of time, engaging in politics.