Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:15:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Petition to revoke Article 50 [split topic]

Started by Fambo Number Mive, March 21, 2019, 10:57:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Talulah, really! on March 24, 2019, 11:37:11 PM
They come from here, https://countingcrowds.co.uk/about/   an anonymous blog.

could have saved me the waffle if that had been posted earlier (not your fault)

biggytitbo

The most amusing thing is it doesn't matter what argument I make you'll defend these numbers as if they are a sacred religious truth rather then the obviously dodgy self promoting claims of an Alistair Campbell's peoples vote™ press release. I'm not endorsing that websites own estimate BTW (it seems way too low) , I don't know if their metholody is sound, only that as they point out the 700,000 claim is totally impossible. And there definetly weren't a million people yesterday either although that wont stop it been casually dropped in endless msm articles as if it was proven fact.

But then, were all making our own truth at this stage aren't we, so believe what you want.

chveik

Talulah, really!

Quote from: biggytitbo on March 24, 2019, 11:55:51 PM
The most amusing thing is it doesn't matter what argument I make you'll defend these numbers as if they are a sacred religious truth rather then the obviously dodgy self promoting claims of an Alistair Campbell's peoples vote™ press release.

Er....

It's just like sudoko, you can put in any numbers you like, no one is going to check it are they?

So as usual your cognitive dissonance kicks in and you ascribe a position to another person when there is no evidence they ever held it in lieu of answering their actual argument.

Which in this case was pointing out your one way scepticism whereby you are happy to believe the MSM when it suits you then when challenged rush around the internet to find a link to the first thing that looks like it backs you up, in this case an anonymous blog where someone has coloured in self chosen shapes on pictures of google-earth, picked some numbers to go in and then said that proves only a few tens of thousand people turn up, well that's convincing isn't it?

I'm not endorsing that websites own estimate BTW (it seems way too low)
I don't know if their metholody is sound, only that as they point out the 700,000 claim is totally impossible.

It may well be but no evidence was offered to back it up.

And there definetly weren't a million people yesterday either although that wont stop it been casually dropped in endless msm articles as if it was proven fact.

Or equally endless msm articles will repeat debunking figures attributed to credible sounding sources (the Telegraph figure turns up at the Express, briebart, etc, etc (Libtard lies))

But then, were all making our own truth at this stage aren't we, so believe what you want.

Well you certainly seem to be.

idunnosomename

Need more respect for baboons that choose rough terrain. Reeks of establishment sneering

biggytitbo

Quote from: Talulah, really! on March 25, 2019, 08:50:14 AM
Well you certainly seem to be.

I dunno, for someone affecting an air of academic detachment you seem strangely exercised about this? I mean lets just make it clear what we're talking about here - someone at the campaign plucked a figure out of their arse for a self promoting PR boast (as per the usual trend of exaggerating protest numbers for political reasons) and it shouldn't really be given the time of day.

Odd then that you seem far more occupied in casting your formidable sceptical eye to what might well be dubious alternative estimates, rather than interrogating the original self serving estimate of the organisers? Why is that do you think?

And I'm not endorsing that websites estimate either, its seems too low - I am endorsing the basic logical argument that it makes that it couldn't be anywhere near 700,000 figure though.

biggytitbo

On this subject - https://www.wired.co.uk/article/brexit-march-peoples-vote-crowd-size

Quote"Based on the visuals from the helicopter image, it's between 312,000 and 400,000 people," explains Manchester Metropolitan University's Keith Still, a world leader in crowd science who has developed mandatory event-monitoring training for police. (He also debunked Donald Trump's claims about the numbers attending his inauguration in 2017.) "Avoiding the political overtones – Trump, the Eagles, Brexit – and inevitable arguments, it's not surprising that there are few people who would dare to quote numbers. However, the numbers don't lie."

Obviously we already knew it was nowhere near 1,000,000 people, but the fact the actual number is probably only approximately a 3rd of that underlines again why the 700,000 is clearly a massive exaggeration. The 250,000 GLA figures is likely much closer.

Paul Calf

Quote from: biggytitbo on March 25, 2019, 12:01:33 PM
On this subject - https://www.wired.co.uk/article/brexit-march-peoples-vote-crowd-size

Obviously we already knew it was nowhere near 1,000,000 people, but the fact the actual number is probably only approximately a 3rd of that underlines again why the 700,000 is clearly a massive exaggeration. The 250,000 GLA figures is likely much closer.

Do you know what a facts are? Are a facts something that the police tell you, as you suggested earlier?

Paul Calf

We should appreciate this thing of beauty:

Quote from: biggytitbo on March 25, 2019, 12:01:33 PM

biggytitbo

You sound really aggrieved that a press release boast isn't true for some reason?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Soup Dogg

I have read this thread and death will be a blessing.

Paul Calf

Quote from: biggytitbo on March 25, 2019, 12:09:15 PM
You sound really aggrieved that a press release boast isn't true for some reason?

Your show is slipping

phantom_power

Quote from: biggytitbo on March 25, 2019, 12:09:15 PM

It isn't whether the press release is true. It is the incredibly low bar thing you agree with have to pass over compared to things you don't agree with

BlodwynPig

Quote from: idunnosomename on March 25, 2019, 09:37:06 AM
Need more respect for baboons that choose rough terrain. Reeks of establishment sneering

It was a fucking important study. At least Chveik realises that. Emergent behaviour in large primates can help us understand things such as crowd control, rioting, local patterns of migration etc. Possibly even in human society.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: biggytitbo on March 25, 2019, 10:39:46 AM
I dunno, for someone affecting an air of academic detachment you seem strangely exercised about this? I mean lets just make it clear what we're talking about here - someone at the campaign plucked a figure out of their arse for a self promoting PR boast (as per the usual trend of exaggerating protest numbers for political reasons) and it shouldn't really be given the time of day.

Odd then that you seem far more occupied in casting your formidable sceptical eye to what might well be dubious alternative estimates, rather than interrogating the original self serving estimate of the organisers? Why is that do you think?

And I'm not endorsing that websites estimate either, its seems too low - I am endorsing the basic logical argument that it makes that it couldn't be anywhere near 700,000 figure though.

These moments will be lost in time...like all your other posts on the subject. Time for chai.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on March 25, 2019, 12:22:23 PM
What isn't funny about that?

don't worry, it wasn't intended as a joke. Glad you got a giggle, but Chveik hates my guts - he's like that reporter in This Time who contradicts everything Alan says.

chveik

Quote from: BlodwynPig on March 25, 2019, 01:19:39 PM
don't worry, it wasn't intended as a joke. Glad you got a giggle, but Chveik hates my guts - he's like that reporter in This Time who contradicts everything Alan says.

that's just not true. and I know it wasn't a joke.

Paul Calf

Quote from: biggytitbo on March 24, 2019, 03:28:08 PM
I think its real. This is quite interesting - penultimate column is the organisers claims, the last column is the actual numbers from the police -

The one million people figure is obviously a massive exaggeration, the last one they did was claimed at 700,000 but was actually closer to 250,000, almost a third of the claimed amount.

The actual numbers from the the police.

Don't contradict the police because if you do, biggy will have something to say about it.

Remember: if it's not from the police, it's not a fact.

BlodwynPig

jobotic

Quote from: Paul Calf on March 25, 2019, 01:45:00 PM
The actual numbers from the the police.

Don't contradict the police because if you do, biggy will have something to say about it.

Remember: if it's not from the police, it's not a fact.

Funny that the only organisation whose figures the police agree with is the Countryside Alliance! And their march was much bigger than Saturday's according to the police, which we must believe.

I guess the right are just more trustworthy.

Paul Calf

I think that the takeaway from this is that you must always trust the establishment.

Sin Agog

It is funny how biggy will take the word of literally anyone who backs up his gnarled point of view.  If the E.U. released a statement saying, "Don't trust anything the E.U. says," Biggy would quote them as a reliable source.

chveik

BlodwynPig

Quote from: chveik on March 25, 2019, 02:10:45 PM
oh I see, you were lampooning me.

no...just happy that you don't hate my guts as I feared. So terribly terribly feared.

Buelligan

biggytitbo

The amount intellectual contortions and energy expended in defense of a clearly false claim in a dodgy press release is very very funny.

NoSleep

Has there been an analysis of the number in the Horse & Groom car park on Saturday?

Talulah, really!

Quote from: biggytitbo on March 25, 2019, 03:01:36 PM
The amount intellectual contortions and energy expended in defense of a clearly false claim in a dodgy press release is very very funny.

Self diagnosing there.

The intellectual contortions are all your own, as firstly no one is bothering to defend the one million number, most of us, I suspect, take these things with a large pinch of salt. Secondly, as several posters have stated, the actual point is how gullible you are when something suits your agenda.

Captain Z

Quote from: NoSleep on March 25, 2019, 03:05:01 PM
Has there been an analysis of the number in the Horse & Groom car park on Saturday?

I'm no good at judging the size of crowds, Ted, but I'd say there's around seventeen million of them out there.