Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 08:06:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Families and crap comedy

Started by Jake Thingray, March 21, 2019, 02:25:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jockice

Quote from: Funcrusher on March 22, 2019, 10:45:38 PM
Good to see a return of Jake's uncle to CAB.

But I haven't been anywhere!

(The above comment will be understood by exactly one CaB member. But I had to make it just in case he happens to be reading.)

New page got to keep it in the family.

Andy147

Quote from: Ignatius_S on March 22, 2019, 12:54:48 PM
From what I remember of the set-up, Tom decides to jack in his job for the 'good life' without talking it through with Barbara.

No, a lot of the first episode is them discussing the idea.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Twed on March 22, 2019, 10:55:53 PM
My sister named her youngest three children after Twilight characters.

Fancy naming your children Renesmee, Kachiri and Vladimir!

Jockice

This applies more to friends than family but the thing that always puzzled me about The Good Life is the whole 'Felicity Kendal was really sexy in it' thing that seems to have sprung up. It mostly comes from people a little bit older than me but I've also heard it from blokes around my age. I would have just been on the cusp of my teens when the programme ended and possibly the last thing I wanted to wank over was a twee middle-class woman in her 30s. I'd have been more likely to have been turned on by her brother Kenneth.

Each to their own and all that, but I don't get it at all. Mind you, I don't understand why people think Kylie Minogue is sexy either. So the fault is probably mine.

Clownbaby

Quote from: Jockice on March 23, 2019, 07:08:16 AM
This applies more to friends than family but the thing that always puzzled me about The Good Life is the whole 'Felicity Kendal was really sexy in it' thing that seems to have sprung up. It mostly comes from people a little bit older than me but I've also heard it from blokes around my age. I would have just been on the cusp of my teens when the programme ended and possibly the last thing I wanted to wank over was a twee middle-class woman in her 30s. I'd have been more likely to have been turned on by her brother Kenneth.

Each to their own and all that, but I don't get it at all. Mind you, I don't understand why people think Kylie Minogue is sexy either. So the fault is probably mine.

I don't get the Kylie thing either. Especially now she's older, I get a vibe of bitchy woman who flirts with everyone's husband even if she doesn't fancy them, which then again is probably what so many guys like about her

Jockice

Quote from: Clownbaby on March 23, 2019, 10:40:50 AM
I don't get the Kylie thing either. Especially now she's older, I get a vibe of bitchy woman who flirts with everyone's husband even if she doesn't fancy them, which then again is probably what so many guys like about her

I mean people are free to fancy whoever they want, I'm not stopping them. And I have nothing against Kylie. I've even met her and seen her live. But when you hear over and over again that someone is sexy and they just don't do it for you it's a bit of a strange feeling. You start thinking: 'Am I missing something here?'

I suppose it's the same for straight females who don't fancy Brad Pitt or George Clooney.

St_Eddie

All i know is that I fancy the apple barrel at my local brewery.  It just gives me that look, you know?  Bloody apple barrel, giving it all that!

sbahnhof

Quote from: MidnightShambler on March 22, 2019, 10:50:32 PM
When I was working in NZ, the family I boarded with thought Mrs Browns Boys was the funniest programme ever made, the whole lot of them used to watch it together on a Friday night, neighbours used to pop round to join in the fun too. They couldn't understand why I thought it was shite. If you think British telly is bad, spare a thought for Kiwis. The whole schedule is the absolute worst of repeated British shite from years ago (Cash In The Attic etc) and a load of reality toss from Australia and B-movies from the 80s. Terrible.

Yeah, it's not the best.

Mrs Brown did spawn an angry parody in New Zealand, "Mrs Pumpernickel" (from Funny Girls, featuring Rose Matafeo and Frickin Dangerous Bro)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0703I_J--0

Glebe

Quote from: sbahnhof on March 29, 2019, 10:48:29 AMYeah, it's not the best.

Mrs Brown did spawn an angry parody in New Zealand, "Mrs Pumpernickel" (from Funny Girls, featuring Rose Matafeo and Frickin Dangerous Bro)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0703I_J--0

Heh, that's great!

Blue Jam

Quote from: Jockice on March 23, 2019, 10:54:24 AM
I mean people are free to fancy whoever they want, I'm not stopping them. And I have nothing against Kylie. I've even met her and seen her live. But when you hear over and over again that someone is sexy and they just don't do it for you it's a bit of a strange feeling. You start thinking: 'Am I missing something here?'

I suppose it's the same for straight females who don't fancy Brad Pitt or George Clooney.

Kylie is meant to be an absolutely lovely person though- is she, Jockice? There is that I suppose...

I remember having an interesting discussion about Kylie once with a gay man who isn't a fan of her music, or of her as a pop star, and who reckoned it's because she has kitsch appeal, and kitsch is really just another way of saying "a bit crap", like a lot of stereotypically gay stuff people expected him to like but which he couldn't stand. To me Kylie seems likeable enough but a bit meh.

George Clooney is a good-looking man and a seemingly nice bloke who doesn't do it for me at all- I once had a flatmate who was obsessed with him and I never could see why. The ones I really don't get are Mel Gibson (even before the antisemitic stuff, was he ever really good-looking?), plus Tom Hiddleston in that brief period where he was supposed to be every woman's ideal man.

"Celebrities whose attractiveness is an informed attribute" could be a whole other thread...

Chriddof

Quote from: Blue Jam on March 29, 2019, 04:35:52 PM
"Celebrities whose attractiveness is an informed attribute" could be a whole other thread...

Angus Deayton in the 90s was this thing entirely. I remember some 1995-ish advert where a woman said something along the lines of "All I want in the bedroom is Angus Deayton, covered in strawberry yogurt". To me, that wasn't so much an understandable sex fantasy but rather a particularly silly visual punchline to a KYTV sketch.

Also as regards to the Felicity Kendall thing - I believe it stemmed from some late 70s drama where she did a nude scene and you got to see her arse, and everyone went mental over it for about a decade afterwards. (There's lurid jokes relating to said bottom in both The Young Ones and the first or second season series of Red Dwarf.) And then years later it turned out that it was the arse of some other woman, who was her body double for that one scene.

I seem to remember the "Kylie is sexy" thing starting with the video for her comeback single "Spinning Around", where there were lots of shots of her tedious bottom in hotpants or something and the tabloids had a field day coming with all the puns you can imagine.

Jockice

Quote from: Blue Jam on March 29, 2019, 04:35:52 PM
Kylie is meant to be an absolutely lovely person though- is she, Jockice? There is that I suppose...

I remember having an interesting discussion about Kylie once with a gay man who isn't a fan of her music, or of her as a pop star, and who reckoned it's because she has kitsch appeal, and kitsch is really just another way of saying "a bit crap", like a lot of stereotypically gay stuff people expected him to like but which he couldn't stand. To me Kylie seems likeable enough but a bit meh.

George Clooney is a good-looking man and a seemingly nice bloke who doesn't do it for me at all- I once had a flatmate who was obsessed with him and I never could see why. The ones I really don't get are Mel Gibson (even before the antisemitic stuff, was he ever really good-looking?), plus Tom Hiddleston in that brief period where he was supposed to be every woman's ideal man.

I only met her briefly. Believe it or not she was judging a Kylie lookalike contest our paper ran so it was me, the photographer, her and half a dozen young girls dressed like her in a hotel room. This was in her Stock, Aitken and Waterman days so before she apparently became sexy.

She was pleasant enough and very professional but she borrowed my pen to sign autographs and never gave it back. So there went my chances of an in-depth interview. I wonder if she still has it.

I enjoyed the concert I went to though. That was this century when myself and three other colleagues won a big pub quiz thing at the local university. Thanks entirely to me, who was the only one to recognise the intro of Planet Claire by the B-52s. Not the sort of show i'd normally go to when not on reviewing duty but it was good fun.

Good idea for a thread by the way. It's all yours if you want to start one. Another one of mine. Ulrika Jonsson. A mate of mine once got up early to go and watch her open a shop. He literally couldn't believe it when I sad she does absolutely nothing for me.

RenegadeScrew

Quote from: Jockice on March 29, 2019, 08:03:39 PM
Good idea for a thread by the way. It's all yours if you want to start one. Another one of mine. Ulrika Jonsson. A mate of mine once got up early to go and watch her open a shop. He literally couldn't believe it when I sad she does absolutely nothing for me.

I agree with your assessments but it wouldn't matter who the celebrity was really for me,  Would you go down to watch any 'sexy' celebrity open a shop? If a woman who I'm actually obsessed with in real life was on TV (or I could eh...obtain video footage) I'd barely be able to leave the house.

Anyway, I'm also sadly going to bring up my Benn-loving trade-union-member dad going to see Roy Chubby Brown in the 90s, and bringing back a video too.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

I'd definitely go and see Jodie Comer open a shop. I can imagine her being funny, charming and *very* down to earth despite being a Scouse cunt. And fit as fuck , orbviously.
* tips the wink to all Lisa JAMC fans, in a funny, charming and down to earth " wasn't going to let you cunts down, once I clocked the direction this thread was going in was I ? " manner *

Icehaven

I've never seen what was supposed to be so great about that Bradley Pitts, looks wise. He's an alright actor in some things but I've never really understood the whole cult of him being fiercely attractive at all. Same for Clooney though so maybe it's some conspiracy as they tend to turn up together don't they.
I remember an advert years ago for a TV channel or video player or something that was basically implying Dennis Quaid was a huge sex symbol that all the girls loved and wanted to watch over and over again, which was the first and only time I've ever heard or seen that suggestion and can only assume his Mum was in advertising at the time.