Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,492
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 05:27:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Dirt On Netflix

Started by Snake Plissken, March 22, 2019, 02:49:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snake Plissken

Motley Crue auto biographical comedy drama on Netflix. Anybody going to watch it?

Look's like a complication is being released also with a lead single.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfenIwtoQzk

https://www.amazon.com/Dirt-Soundtrack-M%C3%B6tley-Cr%C3%BCe/dp/B07NNLRC3C

Butchers Blind

Weren't Mötley Crüe just Kiss on an overdose of amphetamine?

Norton Canes

I think the selling point of this series is not the quality of the music but the quality of the debauchery. Mrs Canes is very much looking forward to it.

magval

It is bad.

Machine Gun Kelly is good in it though.

See the bit in it where the singer's out of the band and they have another guy in? That was the best album. Even a lot of Motley Crue fans will begrudgingly agree with this.

BlodwynPig

Trailer looks like Bohemian Rhapsody, shot by shot

"do you wanna record contract"

"I managed ...lists some rock bands"

anarchy -> fun -> drugs -> sad music

Icehaven

It is a bad film but I still quite enjoyed it as I'm a sucker for any music bios or docs and it was fun enough. I barely know anything about Motley Crue though (other than a few songs and the Tommy Lee/Pamela Anderson saga) so I imagine fans are less than impressed as I doubt it was exactly accurate. Mr. Haven was disappointed with the lack of fictional Pamela Andersons too.

Twed

Gregory Torso

I read the book which was way more fun that this. Condensed to the point of stupidity. "I hate you mom! I'm gonna form a band and wear a lynx print catsuit!" Now I'm fucking your girlfriend but it's OK because we're all disgusting human beings. Oh, Tommy just punched a woman... oooh... aaah... hmmm... that's a bit off that is, Tommy.

Iwan Rheon in his Noel Fielding wig was really doing my eyes in. He looked like Ricky Butcher in Pat Butcher's clothes. He looked like a tiny yeti that had been left out in the rain. What was his name, Mickey Mars or something. Ludicrous. The other boys looked quite sexy.

Gregory Torso

Whoops, it's heroin time. It ain't easy bein NIKKY FUCKIN SIXXX

MidnightShambler

I watched the trailer for this and it looked like it was going for the wrong type of absurd (to me). I read Sixx's book The Heroin Diaries a few years ago and it was excellent but very dark, there was a lot of grim times surrounding the excesses so if the film doesn't reflect that I'll find it hard to take seriously. But then I'm probably not the target audience so it doesn't matter what I think, I hope I'm wrong though because there's a good story in there, makes up for the music being absolutely fucking terrible anyway.

Quote from: Gregory Torso on March 25, 2019, 08:56:14 PM
Iwan Rheon in his Noel Fielding wig was really doing my eyes in. He looked like Ricky Butcher in Pat Butcher's clothes.

I thought he liked like Eddie Izzard.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: MidnightShambler on March 25, 2019, 09:59:40 PM
I hope I'm wrong though because there's a good story in there, makes up for the music being absolutely fucking terrible anyway.

That's the most incredible thing about Motley Crue by far. They didn't have any good songs, not a single one.

MidnightShambler

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on March 26, 2019, 05:48:44 AM
That's the most incredible thing about Motley Crue by far. They didn't have any good songs, not a single one.

My sister was into all the glam metal in the 80s, her and her mates wore spandex and stunk of Insette, the usual. So all those bands were blaring out of her room all the time and even as an 8 year old kid, the one I thought that was truly shite was Motley Crue, you're totally right not one good fucking song. Even Ratt, Quireboys, Faster Pussycat etc managed to get something catchy once in a blue moon but Motley Crue were just reliably terrible, always.

Quite amazing really that anybody ever got to know who they were, they should give every royalty ever to their publicists. Come to think of it, I don't think I've heard one of their songs on the radio for at least 25 years, so who the fuck is still buying it???

I couldn't stand that type of music, especially living through it in the 80's, but you can't deny that Girls, Girls, Girls has a good hook.

SteveDave

Quote from: MidnightShambler on March 26, 2019, 08:42:42 AM
Come to think of it, I don't think I've heard one of their songs on the radio for at least 25 years, so who the fuck is still buying it???

The same people who still listen to the similarly tune-free "rawk" of Kiss...AMERICANS!

Icehaven

We started the Twisted Sister doc last night too, is there some kind of run on Hair Metal on Netflix at the mo or something?

samadriel

Kickstart My Heart's quite good.  That's about it though.

the science eel

Quote from: Better Midlands on March 26, 2019, 08:51:07 AM
I couldn't stand that type of music, especially living through it in the 80's, but you can't deny that Girls, Girls, Girls has a good hook.

Yeah, I was going to mention that one myself.

Dreadful band, tho'. And of course all that awful stuff about killing that fella.

momatt

I really enjoyed this!
Really stupid, but fun.  The weird casting choices just made sillier to me.

Really amused me that at the centre of all the constant sex, mountains of drugs and pyrotechnics - the actual music is fucking shit.
Didn't recognise any of it.  But then I don't think they were ever big in the UK, were they?

They were not nice people either.  Bunch of wife-beating, junkie twats who got really lucky.

boki

Quote from: Better Midlands on March 26, 2019, 08:51:07 AM
Agreed. Cringey subject matter aside, that tune still bangs.  Riff's obviously nicked from 'Get It On', but Mick Mars at least had the decency to beef it up a bit for the less subtle times they found themselves in.

I'd also make a bit of a case for 'Dr Feelgood' and the aforementioned 'Kickstart My Heart', so I guess you could say that half of their albums have one good song.  They were great at riding their luck if nothing else.

famethrowa

Quote from: BlodwynPig on March 25, 2019, 03:48:18 PM
Trailer looks like Bohemian Rhapsody, shot by shot

The whole thing was BoRapped to buggery. Disappointing to see one of rock's great(?) stories watered down to be as much like the Queen story as possible, and it all became rather a silly pisstake.

Sin Agog

I've got a sister with disabilties, whose secondary school once organised a 'nightclub experience' for them in the back room of the local YMCA.  This movie felt a bit like that.

a duncandisorderly

one of them killed razzle out of hanoi rocks by drunk-driving. for that alone they could've fucked off, but (as noted elsewhere) they never had a good song, they were shitty versions of their shitty G&R counterparts, & anyway- I've heard from rock-biz insiders- the flick isn't truthful to the book & even further from reality.

BlodwynPig

magval

Metal fans can (might?) attest to the quality of Motley's output but drummers will confirm that in Tommy Lee they had one world-class player/entertainer surrounded by a couple of chancers.

Like I said upthread, the album they did without Vince Neil (blonde singer in this film) with another guy (John Corabi) was very good, if you're into yer 90s grunge/alt stuff.

Surprisingly heavy too. Check out Smoke The Sky on Youtube.

But to say that Motley Crue had no good songs is the kind of shite someone (not youse) who only ever listens to vintage hits radio might think. It's not on Absolute 80s so it doesn't exist, that mentality.

Bollox. Wild Side, Looks That Kill, Live Wire, Bastard, Primal Scream, Too Young To Fall In Love, that's not even getting into the Corabi album. There's a decent selection for a greatest hits and an even better deep cuts collection to be culled from that catalogue.

Sin Agog

Didn't the guy who wrote the book to this go on to write that one about tricking women into sexxing you by distracting them with a cravat?  Seems like his whole career has been based on wishing he had hair.

SteveDave

There's a hoo-hah brewing (a brew-hoo-hah?) about a gay homosexual sex scene in the Elton John bio-pic that's out in a few months.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/mar/22/rocketman-elton-john-biopic-censored-gay-scene-taron-egerton-richard-madden

Also, Bo-Rhapsody (Queen film) has been released in China sans any man-on-man kissing scenes or mentions of homosexualality.

BlodwynPig

"Dwight, I want to offer you a record contract!"

momatt

Quote from: magval on March 26, 2019, 01:24:42 PM
But to say that Motley Crue had no good songs is the kind of shite someone (not youse) who only ever listens to vintage hits radio might think. It's not on Absolute 80s so it doesn't exist, that mentality.

I suppose it would be fairer to say that they're not my thing.

But even if I were, there must be loads of better hair metal bands more deserving of their fame.
I imagine their crazy lifestyles was all a part of the promotion?

magval

No, it wasn't. That all came after the fact, after people stopped buying their records.

They sold records because people liked their music and women fancied them.

When that trailed off, they wrote The Dirt.

There were better bands surely (Skid Row is the best of that period's overlooked bands), but Motley Crue could write a proper big smash. Can't believe I forgot to mention Home Sweet Home in my previous post. That's the one. The big one.