Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 08:34:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Another friend gets a PhD

Started by Pingers, March 22, 2019, 08:47:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

Quote from: gout_pony on March 23, 2019, 03:43:53 PM
Sure, in terms of style (thankfully) but in terms of hyper-specificity, it certainly still seems to be true within the humanities, even while there is concurrently a push towards "impact" (and so the commodification of one's research).

But, I get I am biased, because I ended up with both a supervisor and a VIVA panel of academics who really had very little familiarity with the topic/s of my work.

Ive read your work and understood and enjoyed it

ASFTSN

It's the next level up for employers now everyone has a Master's degree. I await the time when landlords will only rent to people PhD's. What's next, a MPhD (mega PhD) to put all the PhD havers in their place? Balls.

Icehaven

garbed_attic

Quote from: BlodwynPig on March 23, 2019, 05:37:21 PM
Ive read your work and understood and enjoyed it

Aw won't like, that's cheered me up a bit! :p

I guess I'm feeling a little worried with the constant emphasis upon "impact" we have now and my own tendency towards obscure curate's eggs!

BlodwynPig

Quote from: gout_pony on March 24, 2019, 12:57:48 AM
Aw won't like, that's cheered me up a bit! :p

I guess I'm feeling a little worried with the constant emphasis upon "impact" we have now and my own tendency towards obscure curate's eggs!

Don't worry - it's impact right across the spectrum, meaning "we've got to get more money or start tightening our belts". It is helping a fair few junior academics become neurotic at best, mentally ill at worst. I'm writing a paper/ doing a survey loosely on this with a researcher in France and hoping we don't get laughed at too much. Will post it up here if we finally get round to doing it (he had his PhD defence on Friday - the European defences are much more intimidating in my opinion, same in N. America).

BlodwynPig

Quote from: icehaven on March 23, 2019, 09:45:57 PM
Shouldn't it be DPh then?

Oxford use DPhil. I believe. Pancreas may be a DPhil, although his was from Cambridge I think.

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: BlodwynPig on March 24, 2019, 01:05:16 AM
Oxford use DPhil. I believe. Pancreas may be a DPhil, although his was from Cambridge I think.

Pancreas always strikes me as a Companion of Literature.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on March 24, 2019, 01:42:20 AM
Pancreas always strikes me as a Companion of Literature.

A Repository of fȳlþ

buttgammon

Quote from: BlodwynPig on March 24, 2019, 01:03:15 AM
Don't worry - it's impact right across the spectrum, meaning "we've got to get more money or start tightening our belts". It is helping a fair few junior academics become neurotic at best, mentally ill at worst. I'm writing a paper/ doing a survey loosely on this with a researcher in France and hoping we don't get laughed at too much. Will post it up here if we finally get round to doing it (he had his PhD defence on Friday - the European defences are much more intimidating in my opinion, same in N. America).

Definitely! Am I right in thinking they still take the term defence literally and organise as a kind of trial? The Brass Eye approach to academia.

I had my confirmation interview the other day (passed with minor changes) and it was tough but certainly not scary. The viva will be much tougher, of course, but at least I'm not going to have to go through a mock trial! "Where were you when this footnote was added?"

Jockice

Quote from: BlodwynPig on March 24, 2019, 01:03:15 AM
Don't worry - it's impact right across the spectrum, meaning "we've got to get more money or start tightening our belts". It is helping a fair few junior academics become neurotic at best, mentally ill at worst.

I wasn't even junior (in my early 40s when I started) and I had a fee waiver but it completely did my nut in. Admittedly there were quite a few stressful things going on in my mind at the same time but it was like this huge weight above my head just about to drop on top of me. There are literally huge chunks of that period I just can't remember at all. Probably blocked them out of my mind.

The only thing that makes me feel better is that several people I know also started PhDs and never finished them. One got about halfway through hers, quit and then burnt all her notes and the books she had bought in her back garden. If I was to do that it would be a very small bonfire indeed.