Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:59:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Mueller shite

Started by biggytitbo, March 22, 2019, 09:41:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjd2

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on March 24, 2019, 03:03:29 PM
Like Ken Starr and the Whitewater probe discovering (and then recommending prosecution for) the Lewinsky scandal. These investigators can go where the evidence takes them.

I also disagree on the MSM telling us that impeachment was a cert due to Russian collision. I'm sure some cranks on Twitter are desperate for it to happen, but we aren't going to agree on perceptions for that.

More than a few cranks on twitter. Maddow and her ilk went into overdrive with Russia. The likes of John Brennan constantly discussed the walls closing in on Trump. Heck even Louise Mensch became a star with the resistance for promoting Russian collusion bullshit.

Ferris

Those people are the equivalent of Fox News on the other side claiming nothing ever happened and anyway if it did it's not illegal and anyway look over here at the wall/tariffs/Hillary's emails etc etc.

I think the sensible consensus is somewhere in the middle - ie some shady shit went down (and remember, no one could fabricate Don Jr taking illegal meetings in Trump Tower so "hoax" yer way out of that), and who knows if he'll get caught but sure here's a prosecutor and let's see.

biggytitbo

Trump has been the most anti-Russian president since the cold war, in stupid, recklessly dangerous ways. But the false narrative was so strong, and they wanted to believe it so very much, the actual facts were totally disregarded

Ferris

Quote from: biggytitbo on March 24, 2019, 03:15:20 PM
Trump has been the most anti-Russian president since the cold war, in stupid, recklessly dangerous ways. But the false narrative was so strong, and they wanted to believe it so very much, the actual facts were totally disregarded

By accident and impulsive decision making (and largely without his input), rather than as a result of his focused policy doctrine.

See also: imposing, then revoking tariffs on NK on the same day. Nobody knows what they are doing in the executive branch because there's no singular vision, so you get some mad stuff like unfreezing that Russian chap's assets for no reason and against the treasury delartment's recommendations one day, then canceling the ICBM treaty the next.

He's all over the map, not singularly anti-Russian. He may cause a war by unintended belligerence, but it'll absolutely be unintended.

Jakey Chesterton

Mind when he bombed that airfield and was presidential rather than Manchurian candidate, for about a fortnight? Even Trump could pick up on that stimulus-response.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Jakey Chesterton on March 24, 2019, 03:28:45 PM
Mind when he bombed that airfield and was presidential rather than Manchurian candidate, for about a fortnight? Even Trump could pick up on that stimulus-response.

Yes, because being recklessly militarily aggressive is the one thing the resistance unambiguously love about Trump.

rjd2

Not as sexy though as " HE IS COMPROMISED~!!" and easier than questioning his and America's loyalty to Israel and Saudi Arabia.

I believe as do others, one of the reasons his attempted coup of Venezuela did not receive the interest it deserved, was because it clearly pissed of Putin and that would have led to some tricky questions for those who were riding high on Trump been some of Manchurian Candidate.

biggytitbo

Yes Venezuela is just a long line of calculated policy positions that seem almost designed to agitate Putin, but that doesn't stop them contriving some incredibly lame puppet angle out it it.

José

everything in the steele dossier is 100% true including the piss tape.

especially the piss tape.

Ferris

Quote from: biggytitbo on March 24, 2019, 03:35:11 PM
Yes Venezuela is just a long line of calculated policy positions that seem almost designed to agitate Putin, but that doesn't stop them contriving some incredibly lame puppet angle out it it.

When people say "Trump" and "Foreign affairs", I definitely think "calculated policy positions".

That was my point - trying to divine reason from whatever he's decided to do today doesn't tie to the reports of how he operates. He's not making calculated snubs at Putin by supporting a political rival in Venezuela, he's doing what the last person in the room told him. Sometimes that's warhawks like John Bolton so he fires a few missiles or discusses deposing Maduro, sometimes it's Kim Kardashian and he issues a pardon for Alice Marie Johnson.

He's not pro- anything that isn't himself. The media narrative is that he may have committed some crimes, which frankly I think is a distinct possibility. Some outlets or cranks on Twitter May have gone overboard (in the same way that others are dismissing this entirely), but they can be safely ignored. I think Joe Public is on the same page as me - ie, he's probably done some crimes, a special counsel is fair enough, let's see what they found.

hummingofevil

The funniest part of this today is how many Twitter hot takes are suggesting Trump's Twitter silence is some kind of tactical calculation as he has been damned by Mueller and not just because the incompetent lazy cunt is playing golf with Kid Rock again. In fact that is even more damning. When he is with someone he respects like disinterested he just constantly posts on Twitter

DrGreggles

Are these the "actual facts" from a report you haven't read because it hasn't been released yet?

biggytitbo

Quote from: DrGreggles on March 24, 2019, 05:02:11 PM
Are these the "actual facts" from a report you haven't read because it hasn't been released yet?

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-us-canada-47688187

QuotePresident Trump's campaign "did not conspire" with Russia during the 2016 election campaign, Special Counsel Robert Mueller's report says.

The dream is over, what can I say?

Soup Dogg

Yeah Biggy's usual single-minded weirdness (love you really fella) shouldn't distract from the fact that the Russia angle has been ridiculously overplayed from day one. Remember when they'd literally hacked the election? The people for whom it was convenient looked for a silver bullet explanation of how this fucking idiot got into the white house without having to look for a second at the marginally more complex (but still ultimately not that challenging) reasons for how Trump happened, what the failures were that allowed it, and with whom at least a significant proportion of the blame should lie.

José

QuoteIt states: "While this report does not conclude that the president committed a crime, it also does not exonerate him".

sarah sanders tweets "this completely exonerates the president"

https://twitter.com/PressSec/status/1109911057013919746?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fd-771100946817376278.ampproject.net%2F1903141753530%2Fframe.html

idunnosomename

Quote from: José on March 24, 2019, 08:48:16 PM
sarah sanders tweets "this completely exonerates the president"

https://twitter.com/PressSec/status/1109911057013919746?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fd-771100946817376278.ampproject.net%2F1903141753530%2Fframe.html

wow im amazed she spelt exonerate correctly

The Russian collusion hoax is DEAD.  Now it's time for AG William Barr to start investigating the fools who tried to subvert the will of the people.

NO MERCY FOR TRAITORS.

oh no

biggytitbo

I remember all the flack I got on here for saying this was bollocks 2 years ago, but let me make what will probably be a more popular prediction - literally none of the cynical, lying bullshitters who have been pushing this constantly for 2 years will face any consequences at all, whilst continuing to self aggrandise about trust in the media and 'fake news'.

The fact is, the two most consequential and serious pieces of fake news of the 21st century came from the self same mainstream media telling us there's a big problem with fake news.

Twed

This tweet thread matches how I feel: https://twitter.com/JordanChariton/status/1109911249276551169

All of this shit, all of this media focus on a ridiculous scandal, so that evil people can remain blameless for not serving the public and damn near destroying the world, and comfortable liberals can hiss "ooooh scandalous! We got him!", demanding that all justice revolves around petty revenge on one person, all the time multitudes of social issues that really fucking matter are being pushed to the side. Let's not serve the needs of people who are fucking dying, instead let's generate gossip for brunching fucks.

It yet another blatant and fundamentally obvious example of the kind of distraction that Chomsky describes, the kind where the media needs us to be complicit in it all, and where ten years later everybody says "how did we ever fall for that?".

Quote from: biggytitbo on March 24, 2019, 08:52:53 PM
I remember all the flack I got on here for saying this was bollocks 2 years ago, but let me make what will probably be a more popular prediction - literally none of the cynical, lying bullshitters who have been pushing this constantly for 2 years will face any consequences at all, whilst continuing to self aggrandise about trust in the media and 'fake news'.

The fact is, the two most consequential and serious pieces of fake news of the 21st century came from the self same mainstream media telling us there's a big problem with fake news.

You are strawmaning, my dear biggy.

Mister Six

Quote from: Jakey Chesterton on March 24, 2019, 03:28:45 PM

Thankfully it's enough Fox News episodes in the past that he'll probably never remember it.

The reaction from some on here is both predictable and amusing. If it had come back positive it would have been IT'S A FIT UP THIS IS A SHAM, and if now it's come back negative, it's OF COURSE THERE WAS NOTHING THIS IS A WASTE OF TIME.

I'd say that regardless of what I want to happen to Trump (lock him up, obviously) this is basically a positive result - an investigation was performed, and likely the correct conclusion reached. It will shock some on here to learn it, but the beliefs of wankers on message boards (myself included) are not enough to render an investigation irrelevant, regardless of how accurately they guessed the result.

Personally I'm quite surprised that there wasn't enough to make a case for obstruction of justice, but never mind. I do agree with Biggy that the Dems need to focus on finding candidates that can effectively tackle Trump, of which Biden is none. But this investigation has in no way affected that.

Twed

Quote from: Mister Six on March 24, 2019, 09:06:57 PM
The reaction from some on here is both predictable and amusing. If it had come back positive it would have been IT'S A FIT UP THIS IS A SHAM, and if now it's come back negative, it's OF COURSE THERE WAS NOTHING THIS IS A WASTE OF TIME.
This is the most ridiculous reaction of all. You settled on it months ago, it's derived entirely from your own internal annoyance at people not acting the way you want them to and is completely independent from current events.

I don't see what's ridiculous about people thinking it's regrettable that the liberal media has been acting like Infowars for two years and that this puts at least one nail in their coffin.

Urinal Cake

I hope Maddow, Colbert and Oliver etc get taken down a few pegs. Not only by Greenwald, Gabbard etc but hell I'd even like to see Cruz etc. throw a few punches in.

You'd hope people would learn to be more skeptical and wait for shit to come out then hoping for a get out of jail fee card.

My view is that the Mueller probe was the correct course of action. There were issues about Russian links to Trump's campaign. But the CNN, Tonight Show etc hosts and crowds overhyped and predicted the result to fuck.

Quote from: Mister Six on March 24, 2019, 09:06:57 PM
Personally I'm quite surprised that there wasn't enough to make a case for obstruction of justice, but never mind.

I don't think the report made that conclusion, it instead declined to make a judgment one way or the other (likely because this is such a political question). Which is actually quite remarkable coming from Good Boy Mueller.

biggytitbo

Maddow especially has built a career and fortune on this and in any sane media world would face at least some consequences for the last 2 years but I bet she doesn't.

Quote from: biggytitbo on March 24, 2019, 09:15:00 PM
Maddow especially has built a career and fortune on this and in any sane media world would face at least some consequences for the last 2 years but I bet she doesn't.

Why? She's an entertainer, and nothing she has been obsessing over has been proven wrong. The only embarrassing part of all this was the fantasy that Mueller was going to arrest Trump at the White House or something. 

Urinal Cake

There is a greater cost than embarrassment.

What about Russians being accused of being Russian agents? That it was part of their DNA or indoctrinated from communism. Or the Rusphobic rhetoric that has made Trump act like a five year old who has a crush and support a Ukrainian regime that is worse than Putin's etc?

Twed

And that all of this is rooted in legitimising the people who gave us Trump.

biggytitbo

Ohh yeah, that's the other thing we'll see, goalpost shifting and attempts at minimizing the seriousness of what they have done the last 2 years, as if eviscerating the reputation of the media, starting a new cold war with a nuclear power and distracting from a myriad of other more important domestic issues is just no big deal. The news is only entertainment right?

DrGreggles

Quote from: biggytitbo on March 24, 2019, 08:35:24 PM
The dream is over, what can I say?

You quoted 3 words of a sentence rather than the whole sentence.
Saying "did not conspire" was the outcome is not quite the same as "this report does not conclude that the president committed a crime, it also does not exonerate him."

Is this another of your "actual facts"?
You're either very stupid or you think that we are.

Buelligan