Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:18:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

So... or welp

Started by The Boston Crab, March 23, 2019, 09:49:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Which is the worst word to start a sentence ?

Example

So I was doing some fan art...

Welp lets play some d and d

Hope your back breaks

kittens

a duncandisorderly

Thursday

So... I  think those words are fine ?

Welp, guess that means I'm a cunt then!

the

Where are you picking this stuff up, from your 'I'm A Twat' help group?

;)

ProvanFan

Thursday

Clownbaby

Quote from: The Boston Crab on March 23, 2019, 09:49:32 AM
Which is the worst word to start a sentence ?

Example

So I was doing some fan art...

Welp lets play some d and d

Hope your back breaks

Yeah I'm not keen on those. I'm not sure what welp is supposed to be. Is it meant to be a more curt/awkward version of "well"?

What annoys me the most is when people abuse "um..." at the start of something to make it more passive aggressive

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: the on March 23, 2019, 10:03:25 AM
Where are you picking this stuff up, from your 'I'm A Twat' help group?

;)

Think u ment welp mate.8.8 8.8.8.8.8.8.8.8.8.8.8 8.8.8

Clownbaby

Oh oh also "meh" especially when people verbalise it

samadriel

Fuck, I cannot STAND 'meh'.

Captain Z

What is this I can't even

Barry Admin

Like... both pretty bad imo.

BlodwynPig

Speak properly; arseholes.

Bennett Brauer

"I mean..."

Particularly when they haven't said anything else yet.

popcorn

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on March 23, 2019, 12:58:30 PM
"I mean..."

Particularly when they haven't said anything else yet.

Yes

This whole discussion is just chef fingers

popcorn

It's not the same thing but I think it is a bit grim when Americans begin sentences with "Hell,".

AllisonSays

I've had to deliver a course of lectures at really short notice over the last few weeks which means going into classes wildly underprepared to expound on a topic I'm only slightly familiar with. Very anxiety-inducing. Anyway, in doing this - maybe because I am so underprepared - I've caught myself signalling changes in topic or in pace by saying "SOO" like some kind of kiai martial arts cry. I hate it, but I also can't stop doing it, even though I've drawn attention to it now by saying to the students "I'm sorry I keep doing that".

I think I do it sometimes in normal conversation to, less forcefully - "so, you were saying you've started a new job", "so, now your cat has been interned" or whatever - I don't think that's too bad, though, honestly. It's just a little lead-in to soften the impact of a direct question or statement.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: popcorn on March 23, 2019, 01:14:48 PM
It's not the same thing but I think it is a bit grim when Americans begin sentences with "Hell,".

Hell off you stinker

flotemysost

Is 'welp' an internet thing? I don't think I've ever heard anyone actually say it, only seen it written online. I always imagined it was meant to be a sort of mock-melodramatic squeal of anxiety or excitement, a bit like 'squee' but more generic, but I might be totally wrong (although I never really fully understood what that one meant either).

I'm guilty of 'I mean...'. I know it's meaningless (LOL!!!) filler, it's just a habit I've started to use in informal conversations, I suppose to make myself sound more grounded/reasonable or almost like saying 'look, this is just my opinion, I'm not saying I'm right, I'm just offering my thoughts and trying to help', so maybe it's an insecurity thing.

Actually, 'Look...' is another. Although I don't tend to start sentences with that one much.

Edit: Actually, 'Actually...' is also another. This will never end

garnish

"I'll bite, what is [xyz]"

kittens

i do 'i mean' and i have been saying 'so' cos my girlfriend does it and she's rubbed off on me. eh lads. still don't know what welp is though. I've seen it written but i always assumed it was misspelling of 'well'. if it isn't that, what is it.

BlodwynPig

Welp related to doggo?

samadriel

Quote from: kittens on March 24, 2019, 12:43:36 AM
i do 'i mean' and i have been saying 'so' cos my girlfriend does it and she's rubbed off on me. eh lads. still don't know what welp is though. I've seen it written but i always assumed it was misspelling of 'well'. if it isn't that, what is it.

You're right, it's a misspelling of 'well', albeit a deliberate one.  I think it's supposed to capture the almost-sound of closing one's mouth immediately after saying 'well'.  What this signifies, I couldn't tell you, I've never been a fan.

Twed

Quote from: Barry Admin on March 23, 2019, 12:49:25 PM
Like... both pretty bad imo.
I find myself saying it occasionally, when my brain isn't in gear. There are some Americans who say it an unbelievable amount, three or more times per sentence. It starts to form a rhythm and becomes the most frustrating thing to listen to. Somehow worse when the speaker is intelligent.

"welp" is very 1999 for me. It's slang I associate with my early Internet usage. Filing it away with "hella" and Bomfunk MCs.

zomgmouse

Whooooooooo caaaaaaaaaaares

a duncandisorderly

"LOL NO".

fuck off. spell it properly. "the". or leave the keyboard.

Twed

"LOL NO" was a huge thing for a long time, wasn't it? And yet it is never really used anymore.