Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,491
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 04:58:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

So... or welp

Started by The Boston Crab, March 23, 2019, 09:49:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twed

Haha wow, apparently such a huge thing that Barry has genocided it.

touchingcloth

I get by with a little welp from my friends.

Gregory Torso

I HATE THING HATE IT WAY PEOPLE SAY SPEAK THINGS FUCK OFF M ATE AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA MY WORKMATES ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRHGGGHHHHHHHHH WHEN IS THE RAPTURE COMING

Thursday

Quote from: flotemysost on March 24, 2019, 12:27:15 AM
Is 'welp' an internet thing? I don't think I've ever heard anyone actually say it, only seen it written online. I always imagined it was meant to be a sort of mock-melodramatic squeal of anxiety or excitement, a bit like 'squee' but more generic, but I might be totally wrong (although I never really fully understood what that one meant either).

Welp is sort of an exasperated, "Well,  give up" or "Well, not much I can do about that now then"

touchingcloth

Quote from: Gregory Torso on March 24, 2019, 09:10:05 AM
I HATE THING HATE IT WAY PEOPLE SAY SPEAK THINGS FUCK OFF M ATE AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA MY WORKMATES ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRHGGGHHHHHHHHH WHEN IS THE RAPTURE COMING

It's November 19th.

alan nagsworth

"Welp" is "well" but you close your mouth at the end matter-of-factly. It's also usually spoken in a sort of Eric Cartman way, by Americans. I find that a fun alternative thing to say is "whelk", mostly just because it's fun to make non capisco salivate.

finnquark

ToneLa

It's nearly as bad as "does anybody else", because the answer is YES

boki

"I'm not being funny...", although that's usually followed by something that's in some way depressing to hear, so at least they're accurate.

touchingcloth

That awkward moment welp

RDRR

I think the issue is affected internet-speak. Lots of the suggestions above are just devices you subconsciously pick up if you spend any time talking to people below the age of 40. Pretty much everyone uses 'like', 'I mean', etc unless they're actively avoiding it. Starting a Tweet or a Reddit post or something with "So, ..." or "Welp." requires agency, and that makes it unacceptable. It's not just an annoying tick.

Barry Admin

Quote from: Twed on March 24, 2019, 09:06:34 AM
Haha wow, apparently such a huge thing that Barry has genocided it.

Lol yeah, a poster used to use it accidentally, stuff like that has always, always burnt my eyes. Especially when it's deliberately misspelt for cheap humour. I just looked, and thirty-nine variants of misspelling the word "the" have been banned over the 20 years.

Edit: 40

the

So that's why I get large electric shocks when I try to log in drunk

Barry Admin

touchingcloth

Quote from: Twed on March 24, 2019, 09:05:19 AM
"THE" was a huge thing for a long time, wasn't it? And yet it is never really used anymore.

Given that some spellings of "the" have gone the way of Bad Korea, which were you actually using? THE, or one of the ones with a number 3 in it?

zomgmouse

Quote from: touchingcloth on March 24, 2019, 01:14:16 PM
Given that some spellings of "the" have gone the way of Bad Korea, which were you actually using? THE, or one of the ones with a number 3 in it?

I'm guessing it's   Cecil Parkinson

EDIT: Jesus Christ this is thorough. Tried doing it with spaces in between

Ok what about

[manual intervention for line-space based cheating - Badmin]

EDIT 2: SUCCESS

touchingcloth

I LIKE TO EAT TЗH DIRTY BOOTY

Captain Z

Won't you please, please welp me.

Twed

Quote from: touchingcloth on March 24, 2019, 01:14:16 PM
THE

EAT MY SOCKS BARRY

Thursday

LOL NO
Cecil Parkinson
THE
THE

Thursday

Noonling

Simply THE best, better than all THE rest.

Twed

king_tubby

Nothing on this thread is as bad as starting a sentence with 'Here's a thing'.

Brundle-Fly

Anybody starting a sentence with "Speaking as a..." tends to make me switch off.

non capisco

Fuckin craving a pot of whelks now.

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on March 24, 2019, 08:42:17 AM
"THE".

fuck off. spell it properly. "the". or leave the keyboard.

When I started here Esther's rotten goo. would autocorrect to "the, fucking the" which could be very confusing.