Author Topic: Dragged Across Concrete  (Read 519 times)

Dragged Across Concrete
« on: March 23, 2019, 03:45:19 PM »
New police/exploitation thriller from the director of Bone Tomahawk and Brawl in Cell Block 99, starring Mel Gibson and Vince Vaughn. It's getting attacked for being very right wing and I've just watched it and it is for the most part. But there are touches to the film that question that worldview and I'm wondering how much of it is a provocation rather than a belief. It's actually a decent 90 minute film stuck inside a flabby 2 hours and 40 minutes one. I remain unconvinced that Vaughn is any good when asked to be anything other than glib.

Mister Six

• Half-masted, bass-boosted, sling-backed
Re: Dragged Across Concrete
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2019, 05:07:51 AM »
Just watche Bone Tomahawk and Brawl in Cell Block 99 and enjoyed them both, but that runtime does give me pause. Then again, my favourite bits of those films were the long, meandering conversations, so if there's a load of them, maybe it won't annoy me as much as it did everyone else.

I'll be interested to see how much it's actually right-wing and how much is just showboating white New York liberal critics - the sort of people who treated Black Panther as the second coming rather than just a very good Marvel movie - having their circuits fritzed by moral ambiguity. Tomahawk and Brawl were fairly conservative in a way I suppose - both about big white American men facing off against dodgy Others (creepy Europeans, creepier Koreans, criminal Latinos and deranged Native Americans, with a few tokens to show They're Not All Like That) - but they didn't strike me as dreadfully right-wing in the dangerous way that we're seeing in, say, the fucking White House.

Haven't read that many reviews, mind you, and where I have I've tried to skim any of the bits concerning the plot. But the impression I get is that the critics actually had a lot of fun with this film and have been trying to come to terms with that...

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2019, 03:47:36 PM »
Can this guy get somebody else to title his movies for him?

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2019, 04:07:44 PM »
I think 'Bone Tomahawk' is a superb title, the words have a nice rhythm and the conjunction of the two is very intriguing.  However, I was disappointed to find that it had no thematic relevance.  A bone tomahawk features in one spectacularly gory scene, but that's it.

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2019, 12:55:44 PM »
Slow burn at the start but i found the second half very tense till the end. Really enjoyed it. Don't watch if you need films that validate your world view.

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2019, 01:39:08 PM »
I thought this was significantly overlong and ultimately a total mess.  It feels like two scripts rather hastily melded together, not really delivering on any of the themes or even narratives established early on.  Not that every film has to have a message or explore something profound, but this doesn’t do anything interesting even without that expectation.  Some unbelievably appalling dialogue too.

I liked Bone Tomahawk, gave up on Brawl about halfway through because it felt like a teenager had written it.  This wasn’t much different.

SteveDave

• My LPs are still for sale in all good record shops
    • BUY BUY BUY
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2019, 09:53:55 AM »
Some of the dialogue felt like a piss-take of Justin Quarantino written by a computer.

MEL GIBSON TALKS ABOUT SOME INSIGNIFICANT SHIT
VINCE VAUGHAN REPLIES WITH SOMETHING WITTY-ISH

There was no "OOooooOOOoh!" moment like there was in "Bone Tomahawk" and "Brawl In Cell 99"

There was absolutely no point to a lot of the scenes- the mother/bank worker section mostly.