Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 04:16:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Matt Berry Vehicle

Started by Tony Tony Tony, March 23, 2019, 09:46:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Tony Tony

]https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0003mxw]

Looks promising as first work between Matt Berry and Arthur Matthews since Toast of London as well as featuring Felicity Montague.

royce coolidge

Thanks for the heads up,i'll look forward to this.

jobotic

Looks like a typical media luvvie middle class political class shit fest AAAGGH

Malcy

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I've seen it and it's dreadful. Berry braying his usual shtick while presiding over some incredibly weak 'archive footage dubbed with incongruous voice-overs and captions' material. Arthur Mathews wrote it. Father Ted was an utter fluke, wasn't it?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on March 23, 2019, 11:07:27 PM
I've seen it and it's dreadful. Berry braying his usual shtick while presiding over some incredibly weak 'archive footage dubbed with incongruous voice-overs and captions' material. Arthur Mathews wrote it. Father Ted was an utter fluke, wasn't it?

Do you have time machine? You can see by the names they use for the people involved that this is sub-Brass Eye beige satire. Well///an assumption of such.

Crabwalk

Have you read Well-Remembered Days? It was written just after Ted, while the magic was still with him.

Quote from: Crabwalk on March 23, 2019, 11:42:24 PM
Have you read Well-Remembered Days? It was written just after Ted, while the magic was still with him.

I haven't, but I will.

Brundle-Fly

Arthur Mathews wrote it. Father Ted was an utter fluke, wasn't it?

Never a fan of Big Train or Toast Of London then?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: jsgibble on March 24, 2019, 12:45:35 AM
The only review I've seen doesn't look great. We'll see

https://tvpaulwhitelaw.blogspot.com/2019/03/tv-column-yorkshire-ripper-files.html?m=1

I trust this person's opinions

QuoteTHE BEATLES: MADE ON MERSEYSIDE
Friday, BBC Four, 9pm

Do we really need another documentary about the most scrupulously analysed pop group of all time? Certainly not on the evidence of this harmless yet inessential trawl through their well-worn origin story. It does contain a smattering of unfamiliar nuggets – if the Beatles hadn't taken off, Paul would've become a window dresser – but for the most part it plays out like an instructional video for people who've inexplicably never heard any of this stuff before. Nevertheless, it occasionally benefits from the inclusion of an array of greying talking heads who actually knew the group before they were famous (the luckless Pete Best among them). It also features contributions from esteemed music journalist Jon Savage and an inevitable Paul Gambaccini.

jsgibble

So?  Does his opinion on a documentary you haven't seen tell you anything?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: jsgibble on March 24, 2019, 01:04:05 AM
So? Does his opinion on a documentary you haven't seen tell you anything?

Yes. Not worth watching because

a) It retreads well worn nuggets of Beatles trivia
b) I hate the Beatles with all my heart

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: jsgibble on March 24, 2019, 12:45:35 AM
The only review I've seen doesn't look great. We'll see

https://tvpaulwhitelaw.blogspot.com/2019/03/tv-column-yorkshire-ripper-files.html?m=1

I wonder who dislikes it more, that guy or Ballad of Ballard Berkley?

jsgibble

Sorry about that, didn't mean to double up just posted it without reading the thread

Bennett Brauer

I was just kidding. Probably quite a few people here don't know BoBB is PW.

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on March 24, 2019, 12:29:09 AM
Never a fan of Big Train or Toast Of London then?

Yes, I loved the first series of Big Train and quite liked bits and pieces of Toast. It was a bit harsh of me to describe Ted as a fluke, Mathews and #cancelled Linehan have written other good things.

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on March 24, 2019, 01:56:10 AM
I was just kidding. Probably quite a few people here don't know BoBB is PW.

It took me a while to realise too.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

This'll be Brexshit, I reckon !!!!!!!

Clownbaby

I can't get away with Matt Berry and I've really tried. He's got quite an impressive and silly sounding voice but it just does not make me laugh. I get what he's trying to do when he does it but there is something missing

mrfridge

He's milked the same schtick for what? 15 years now? I quite like it in House of fools but I don't think anything else he's done has hit the target for me. I'm not sure how he's got away with doing THE EXACT SAME THING for so long without being pulled up on it.

He also seems to take himself very seriously which always irks me (see also his fucking pish band).

magval

Thanks Blodwynpig, I look forward to referring to him as "an inevitable Paul Gambaccini" forever more. That has me howling that does.

dr beat

Quote from: mrfridge on March 24, 2019, 11:16:29 AM

He also seems to take himself very seriously which always irks me (see also his fucking pish band).

He came across very well I thought on the Adam Buxton podcast.  Self-effacing and quite happy to admit the debt he owes to people giving him breaks.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: mrfridge on March 24, 2019, 11:16:29 AM
He's milked the same schtick for what? 15 years now? I quite like it in House of fools but I don't think anything else he's done has hit the target for me. I'm not sure how he's got away with doing THE EXACT SAME THING for so long without being pulled up on it.

Because that is his thing? I can never understand this as a criticism of certain comedy actors/ comedians. To name but three off the top of my head: Frankie Howerd, Kenneth Williams, Tony Hancock did exactly the same thing for years and were brilliant. Not everybody can be Steve Coogan.

Twed

Even their things were deeper than speaking loudly in the exact same tone every time.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Twed on March 24, 2019, 05:18:42 PM
Even their things were deeper than speaking loudly in the exact same tone every time.

If that was what he does every time but he doesn't.

olliebean

I just hope he's not going to ruin the What We Do In The Shadows TV series for me.

petril

hope he ends up getting those silver cowboy boots

Quote from: magval on March 24, 2019, 11:27:16 AM
Thanks Blodwynpig, I look forward to referring to him as "an inevitable Paul Gambaccini" forever more. That has me howling that does.

Ta! Watching BBC Four music documentaries and shouting "Bingo!" whenever Gambo turns up is one of life's small pleasures.

See also: Barry Cryer in television documentaries about deceased British comedians.

Not that I mind in the slightest, their inevitable involvement in these programmes is rather comforting.

Quote from: dr beat on March 24, 2019, 11:36:34 AM
He came across very well I thought on the Adam Buxton podcast.  Self-effacing and quite happy to admit the debt he owes to people giving him breaks.

True, he doesn't come across as remotely pretentious or self-important in interviews.