Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:58:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Matt Berry Vehicle

Started by Tony Tony Tony, March 23, 2019, 09:46:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

olliebean

Well this seems utterly pointless. Next time get Rhys Thomas to do one, as he's clearly much better at this sort of thing.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Yes, a complete waste of time. What's the point of making a spoof documentary about Brexit without a single trace of satirical bite? It was just a load of half-baked whimsy.

Even though I've laughed at his shtick on occasion, my problem with Matt Berry is that he always looks a bit dead behind the eyes. There's no spark there. I don't think that's a conscious choice on his part, he's just an awkward performer. Yes, funny voice, funny intonation, all of that stuff is fine, but he never looks entirely comfortable onscreen.

Mobius

Does anyone remember when Matt Berry was on Shooting Stars in character as some Greek singer? Vangelis? and was absolute fucking shit?

Quote from: Mobius on March 27, 2019, 04:15:41 AM
Does anyone remember when Matt Berry was on Shooting Stars in character as some Greek singer? Vangelis? and was absolute fucking shit?

Yes, another pointless, joke-free Berry appearance.

gilbertharding

The only funny bit, in my opinion, was the business with the sausage. To be fair, though, that bit was almost funny enough in itself to make up for the other 26 minutes of that voice.

dr beat

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on March 27, 2019, 12:10:02 AM
Even though I've laughed at his shtick on occasion, my problem with Matt Berry is that he always looks a bit dead behind the eyes. There's no spark there. I don't think that's a conscious choice on his part, he's just an awkward performer. Yes, funny voice, funny intonation, all of that stuff is fine, but he never looks entirely comfortable onscreen.

I see what you mean, but that worked well for Toast of London playing a jaded journeyman actor.  I thought he was much more comfortable in House of Fools, and seems to genuinely enjoy working with Vic and Bob.  That was the best thing for me about HoF - how a troupe of so many big performers worked as an ensemble.  There never seemed to be any sense of them competing with each other.

Clownbaby

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on March 27, 2019, 12:10:02 AM

EXACTLY. That's my problem with him. Being visually engaging is obviously half the battle and he's just blank

imitationleather

I think Toast of London is absolutely great but I'm not that impressed by him in anything else he's been in. Him playing variations of the same character all the time is a bit tiring. Yes, he's a sex man with that voice and he dresses like he's from the '70s. Over and over and over and over.

jobotic

I thought it was alright. Only saw half of it though, must have missed the sausage bit.

He was great as Dixon Bainbridge.

gilbertharding

Scene: Interior, day.

Close up of unappetising full English breakfast, with two anaemic fried eggs, bacon and sausage. Large hands enter frame holding a knife and fork which proceeds to laboriously cut 1 inch from the end of the sausage. There is a slight hesitation before the (spoiler)fork raises the remaining 4 inches of sausage to the mouth of Mr Matt Berry (whose hands they are). He chews the sausage briefly before performing a monologue with most of a sausage lodged in his cheek.(/spoiler)

Made me laugh, anyway.

alan nagsworth

I like Matt Berry. He's really good at pointing exaggeratedly at things he's talking about. Usually with his thumb up as well. Fans of the Berryman (as we so whimsically call him) will know what I'm on about.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on March 25, 2019, 02:35:08 AM
True, he doesn't come across as remotely pretentious or self-important in interviews.

If only he could work some of that charm into his SHIT CHARACTERS

gilbertharding

Nice to notice Arthur Mathews' name on something though.

petril

hope in future projects he can bring back FUCK YOU as a thing

Small Man Big Horse

I quite liked this, I'd read the thread before watching it just now so went in with low expectations, and it was very slight, but there was enough going on to make me laugh a good few times (the whole Phil Wang / Pony attack thing especially tickled my fancy), it's a shame it wasn't a vicious attack on the whole situation but it was still amiable enough stuff.