Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:38:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shazam!

Started by Urinal Cake, March 24, 2019, 01:25:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Urinal Cake

Reviews are out. Sounds like a good'un popcorn film.

BlodwynPig

"Cannot identify track"

"Blow the motherfucker to bits!"

"Not so fast...rescanning...found track"

"Huh?"

"Gary Barlow - Sing"

"Ahghhhhhhhshdhhsdhhhhahhshda"

JesusAndYourBush

The genie movie starring Sinbad?

Urinal Cake

Oddly enough a lot of reviewers point out the third act is a lot better than most other superhero movies.

I just always liked Shazam! in the cartoons and an joyful take on superheroes. If I want grit and darkness I'll read the news or watch a documentary.

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on March 24, 2019, 02:14:12 AM
The genie movie starring Sinbad?

You're thinking of Shaquille O'Neal.

Z

Quote from: thecuriousorange on March 24, 2019, 10:25:52 AM
You're thinking of Shaquille O'Neal.
Nah that's Kazaam, Shazam was the one with Sinbad

Glebe

Djimon Hounsou is in both this (as the original wizard Shazam) and Captain Marvel (returning in his role as Korath from Guardians of the Galaxy), which is kinda funny given that Shazam was originally called Captain Marvel and that.

I've been playing DC Universe Online for a good while now, and discovering lots of DC characters I didn't know about... Dr. Sivana (who Mark Strong plays in the movie) is a character you interact with when you play as a villain - actually, I remember him in the old Shazam! cartoon, he always called Shazam a "big red cheese!"

Phil_A

I'll be extremely disappointed if Shazam doesn't include a post-credits appearance by this guy:

(It's Mister Mind, the psychic evil genius worm from Venus in case you were wondering).

Gulftastic

Or maybe Hoppy, the Marvel Bunny?

madhair60

Egg Fu or the multiplex burns

kidsick5000

Quote from: Phil_A on March 27, 2019, 06:34:53 PM
I'll be extremely disappointed if Shazam doesn't include a post-credits appearance by this guy:

(It's Mister Mind, the psychic evil genius worm from Venus in case you were wondering).

Spoiler: You gonna be happy. The rest of the world won't have an effin clue

Phil_A

Haha, no way. Might have to see it now.

Glebe

Quote from: madhair60 on March 29, 2019, 09:46:17 AM
Egg Fu or the multiplex burns

That would be 'gleat'!*

*Egg Fu cameo, not the multiplex burning. Would be 'gleat'.

samadriel

This was cute, and I was pleasantly surprised that the Marvel Family made it in... and Mr Mind mid-credits!  Dear me.  It's aimed more directly at kids' level than most superhero movies (definitely a lot more than the other DC movies, no edgelord Snyder bullshit here), which is appropriate given the character's history and concept.  So it wasn't really for me, but it was agreeable.  Take your kids.

kalowski

Quote from: Glebe on March 27, 2019, 06:00:29 PM
Djimon Hounsou is in both this (as the original wizard Shazam) and Captain Marvel (returning in his role as Korath from Guardians of the Galaxy), which is kinda funny given that Shazam was originally called Captain Marvel and that.
Thank you! I'd had the Captain Marvel connection in my head but couldn't remember if I'd dreamt it. (And couldn't be arsed to look it up)

Glebe

Quote from: kalowski on April 07, 2019, 07:25:06 PMThank you! I'd had the Captain Marvel connection in my head but couldn't remember if I'd dreamt it. (And couldn't be arsed to look it up)

You're very welcome Kalowski mate!

Mister Six

Saw this last night and thought it was delightful - properly funny, charming and inventive, but with a bit of an edge too (although that edge is weirdly restricted to the start - oh well!). The kid actors were great, especially the lad on crutches who's surely got a bright career ahead of him, the villain actually compelling (though his dialogue could have been punched up a bit) and the FX grand, save for a few rubbery bits during the flying sequences.

First flawless DC film, for me, although I've not seen Aquaman.

They'll want to get a sequel in the can ASAP, mind you, because this cast is going to age out fast.

Glebe

Saw it today (well, yesterday given that it's 1:40 AM now), thought it was funny and good fun, with a lot of heart and a bit more grit and darkness that the trailers show, although I thought the big showdown was a little bit wonky. But yeah, overall it's a keeper. Unfortunately, there appeared to be a slight sound problem at the screening I went too, voices sounded a mite fuzzy at times. Hmmm.

Oh yeah, lots of in-your-face DC Movie Universe references, but did anyone spot the Ace Chemicals logo? And yes indeed, stay through the main end credits, Philly_A!*

*SPOILER: Looks more like a caterpillar to me!

[FAKE EDIT]And oh yeah, Tom Hanks classic Big has been mentioned as something of an influence on this, there is actually a knowing nod to this in one scene... actually has a touch of The Goonies too.

Mister Six

Yeah I got a bit of a Goonies vibe - that 80s kids film sense that people can get fucking horribly murdered in this. Which they do. and of course the kids in the screening loved it.

Did anyone else notice the "bloodstained" Watchmen button among the pile of smiley faces on the social worker's desk?

Glebe

Quote from: Mister Six on April 11, 2019, 04:52:32 AMYeah I got a bit of a Goonies vibe - that 80s kids film sense that people can get fucking horribly murdered in this. Which they do. and of course the kids in the screening loved it.

Did anyone else notice the "bloodstained" Watchmen button among the pile of smiley faces on the social worker's desk?

Nay... crikey.

Timothy

All international reviews were good but all comments on a huge user based Dutch reviewsite (Dutch IMDB like) described the movie as totally unfunny and stupid and DC tried and failed again. One guy even described it with ''After five minutes I hated this movie so much that if all movies were like this I would quit watching movies as my favorite hobby''. Dutch reviews weren't positive and described it as shit Deadpool.

I can't disagree more. I don't understand any of it. I absolutely loved it. It reminded me of those old Steven Spielberg movies. Lots of great humour, a good story, good acting and it felt nowhere as long as two hours. Might be my new favorite DC movie. Can't wait to own it on blu-ray.

Really recommended.

SavageHedgehog

Loved this, and (the admittedly clunkier) Aquaman. DC are on a roll at the moment as far as I'm concerned.

Quote from: Timothy on April 11, 2019, 08:59:34 AM
All international reviews were good but all comments on a huge user based Dutch reviewsite (Dutch IMDB like) described the movie as totally unfunny and stupid and DC tried and failed again. One guy even described it with ''After five minutes I hated this movie so much that if all movies were like this I would quit watching movies as my favorite hobby''. Dutch reviews weren't positive and described it as shit Deadpool.

I can't disagree more. I don't understand any of it. I absolutely loved it. It reminded me of those old Steven Spielberg movies. Lots of great humour, a good story, good acting and it felt nowhere as long as two hours.

Felt the same way when I read a review which said it was a poor man's Spider-Man: Homecoming. Could scarcely disagree more.

Kelvin

Nice to hear this is a step in the right direct. As the first film they had time to rework after the fallout from BvS*, that's probably a good sign that the ship has finally been turned around.

Justice league was the last straw for me. After five decidedly shoddy films, I had basically given up on them. It would be nice to believe we might actually get some legitimately good DC films moving forward.

*even Aquaman was quite late in development by that point.

samadriel

I was talking to a friend who thinks Snyder is somehow legitimate and could have been vindicated if he'd had the chance to make the JLA movie, and I said this:
QuoteThis movie could prove to be the cure to the DCEU's Snyderitis if it does well. It seems so obvious, now that I've seen Shazam, that Man of Steel should have always been like this; less comedic, more grown-up, sure, but with the same joie de vivre, the same delight that Supes is bringing something to the world which Metropolitans didn't know they needed until he showed up. I really hope Shazam does what the Captain Marvel comics did in the Golden Age and outsells Superman; that'll give Warner Bros something to think about.
I'll stand by that. DC would be in an exceptional position right now if they'd started out with movies like Shazam, rather than Man of Steel. It's never too late to learn though, if they pull back on the DCEU for awhile and just focus on making fun movies (which can always connect together later with a bit of thoughtfulness), I could end up quite the happy chap.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Mister Six on April 10, 2019, 03:06:22 PMThey'll want to get a sequel in the can ASAP, mind you, because this cast is going to age out fast.
I did wonder that. Unless they just constantly recast the Billy (and other kids) part every time out, so that he's a perpetual 14 or whatever.

As for DC - after this and the strong reaction to Doom Patrol, maybe they'll finally do something with the Question, though I suspect they'd be too concerned that the public would think it a Watchmen lift.

Mister Six

Quote from: samadriel on April 11, 2019, 05:23:07 PM
I was talking to a friend who thinks Snyder is somehow legitimate and could have been vindicated if he'd had the chance to make the JLA movie, and I said this:  I'll stand by that. DC would be in an exceptional position right now if they'd started out with movies like Shazam, rather than Man of Steel. It's never too late to learn though, if they pull back on the DCEU for awhile and just focus on making fun movies (which can always connect together later with a bit of thoughtfulness), I could end up quite the happy chap.

If this and the Joker film are an indication of where DC is going now - making individual, mostly self-contained films with wildly different tones that are tailored for each character rather than trying to copy the MCU with a studio-led, Volton-esque mega franchise - then they might actually have justified their existence.

The only big problem I can see now is if the studio execs don't seem to know how to shepherd a good show or film, things will very much dependent on the creatives they get in. I don't know what the division is between film and television at DC, but the fact that its own streaming service followed up the awful Titans show with the sublime Doom Patrol suggests there's an issue with quality control that could seriously hurt them in the long run.

Marvel's advantage is what while few of its films really astound, they're usually consistently entertaining enough that people will give them the benefit of the doubt. If DC continues to put out both amazing films and absolute dross, it will struggle with audience trust in the long run.

Anyway, can we have a David Lynch adaptation of Grant Morrison's The Mystery Play now?

Glebe

Oh yeah, anyone feel that the end credits were a little too similar to those of Spider-Man: Homecoming, with the kind of animated kids drawings and Ramones song?

Glebe

SHAZAM Breakdown! All DCEU Easter Eggs & Details You Missed!

Didn't know Djimon Hounsou was in Aquaman (although he's heavily made up, to be fair). The kid who played Billy's foster-brother is Eddie from It?! Thought he looked familiar... hey, they missed the Ace Chemicals logo!

kidsick5000

Quote from: Glebe on April 13, 2019, 01:50:51 AM
Oh yeah, anyone feel that the end credits were a little too similar to those of Spider-Man: Homecoming, with the kind of animated kids drawings and Ramones song?

Very. I did not enjoy the film and found it pretty dull. I felt like I'd been watching a different film as all these glowing reviews came in.
When the end credits came up, it was a crazy pills moment.
The same style and the same band!?!
I'm amazed they've not been called out on it.