Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:08:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Cooking and recipes and that

Started by Ferris, March 24, 2019, 03:39:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

Not sure if HS Art is the right place for this, but it isn't Brexit-themed so General Bullshit probably isn't right either...

Have you made anything interesting recently? Do you cook and to what extent? What are you planning to make in the future, and why? Actual responses are preferable, though I'll accept classic "HS Art style" responses if sufficiently witty.

Last few weeks I have been making a lot of tembleque (because you get to smash up coconuts), and gyoza (because it's fun to do the fiddly bits) and had a lot of success with my hoisin steamed bao (the dough was a pain but came out of the steamer surprisingly well). Can post recipes if anyone is interested (and you really should make tembleque), but you'll have to read my handwriting.

What should I make tomorrow? If there's any good responses I'll have a go and post photos. I'm fairly accomplished and like a challenge. Bonus points if the recipe requires me to go to some mad ethnic shop in the middle of nowhere for an obscure ingredient.

I'll post in here semi-regularly if no one else bothers, just for my own amusement.

poo

dex

ToneLa

I reckon you should do that Timpano from the film 'Big Night'

How about a lovely plate of nigel and mash?

rasta-spouse

challenge: handmade ravioli with an egg yolk in it. after cooking, the egg yolk must still be molten.

Bazooka

I've been experimenting with an insect based foie gras, it involves tricking an earwig into eating a three bird roast, and then serving said earwig to the highest bidder.

rasta-spouse

challenge 2: own face herb-crusted, with compressed poltergeist and a hint of Belushi served on a seesaw.

Rizla

I like making massive indian feasts, involving a daal, an overly complicated chicken thing, some veg dishes and a rasaam if i'm feeling soupy. A gamechanger I recently discovered is dry-roasting the lentils before boiling them (I use mung daal but i'm sure it works as well with masoor), it's right guid so it is, gives it that dry roasted peanut vibe. TRY IT TODAY.

rasta-spouse

Quote from: Rizla on March 24, 2019, 02:45:45 PM
A gamechanger I recently discovered is dry-roasting the lentils

That's a new one. How long do you roast them for, like about the same time you'd do dry spices?

Emma Raducanu

Recreate Babette's feast and post a picture

Rizla

Quote from: rasta-spouse on March 24, 2019, 02:59:03 PM
That's a new one. How long do you roast them for, like about the same time you'd do dry spices?
Yes, pretty much. Madhur Jaffrey says to do it til they have a few light brown spots on them....

popcorn

I live in Japan. Girlfriend's family owns a restaurant so whenever I'm at their place they treat me to a free meal on their night off. It's quite special. This week I thought I'd repay the favour and introduce them all to a proper shepherd's pie. I think I got away with it.

The girlfriend helped me prep the veg, and holy shit I've ever seen anyone dice an onion as fast as that. She's worked in the restaurant her whole life so it shouldn't have surprised me, but I mean if you were a root vegetable this is one girl you wouldn't want to tangle with. In the time it took me to peel a single potato she produced six perfect naked tubers. They were incredibly smooth, like she'd done them each in two or three confident strokes, not like my crude polygons. Also she is fit.

rasta-spouse

Quote from: popcorn on March 25, 2019, 02:49:40 PM
I live in Japan. Girlfriend's family owns a restaurant so whenever I'm at their place they treat me to a free meal on their night off. It's quite special. This week I thought I'd repay the favour and introduce them all to a proper shepherd's pie.

Top tip for shepherd's pie is several spoonfuls of Branston's Pickle simmered in with the mince.

Have you tried chicken sashimi? It's something that's often on my mind in a good and bad way.

Dex Sawash

Can green beans, couple spoons Patak's curry paste.

Baked Oatmeal
2 cups oats
2 eggs
2ish cup milk
Bit of baking powder
Handful of sugar or globs of honey/syrup
Maybe some dried cranberries or tart cherries
Bake 30ish minutes in shallow dish.
Probably convert fine to metric as long as the eggs are metric too

seepage

Quote from: Dex Sawash on March 26, 2019, 02:46:55 AM
Can green beans, couple spoons Patak's curry paste.

Baked Oatmeal
2 cups oats
2 eggs
2ish cup milk
Bit of baking powder
Handful of sugar or globs of honey/syrup
Maybe some dried cranberries or tart cherries

Took me a while to realise these are probably two separate dishes, and you don't add the green beans & curry paste to the oats etc.

popcorn

Quote from: rasta-spouse on March 27, 2019, 12:59:30 AM
Well, that doesn't sound great. I'm guessing a psychosomatic reaction to raw meat....

Yeah, that's my best guess too. In my brain I was fine with it (and had eaten raw chicken a few times in Japan before), but some cowardly English part of me rose up and hit the panic button.

Never had any sort of experience like that before in my life.