Author Topic: Office Hours *Live* with Tim Heidecker (and Vic Berger and DJ Douggpound)  (Read 590 times)

I didn't want to bump the On Cinema thread for this, but are there any other fans of Tim's weekly podcast/YouTube show?

The dumb and increasingly cacophonous drops from Vic/Doug are a delight.

PlanktonSideburns

• Our love can destroy this whole fucking world
yes. more later

Does anyone else find Tim extremely unlikeable on these?  Just kind of smug and unwelcoming.  Maybe I saw some bad ones back in the day when he was doing them on Facebook, but I found it almost unwatchable.  Doesn’t help that I don’t like DJ Dougg Pound, I suppose.

PlanktonSideburns

• Our love can destroy this whole fucking world
Yea I find his asshole presenter bit a bit dull on this - telling callers they're boring, shouting at his totally incompetent tech guys. He's doing half an on cinema caracter here almost

I've only been watching for a few months, but as PlanktonSideburns suggested I think he slips in and in out of a character at times. I wouldn't say he ever goes full "asshole presenter" though.

Anyway, it works because the show is at it's best when he is the quasi-straightman getting (often genuinely) annoyed by the incessant drops. A bit like how the Ricky Gervais XFM show is one of the greatest things ever even if you don't like the host (Ricky Gervais) who is talking 80% of the time.

Such as Vic's incredibly dumb MJ drops: https://youtu.be/O1M5-TUJRz0?t=2783

Does anyone else find Tim extremely unlikeable on these?  Just kind of smug and unwelcoming.  Maybe I saw some bad ones back in the day when he was doing them on Facebook, but I found it almost unwatchable.  Doesn’t help that I don’t like DJ Dougg Pound, I suppose.

Yeah. Only seen / heard a bit of it to be fair but I feel like he's trying and failing to channel Tom Scharpling's sometimes grumpy persona. Tom is a master at it, and always sounds warm and inviting even when he loses his rag. Tim on the other hand can sound snobby and cruel, which works for the Tim character of On Cinema but not so much the one we're meant to take as closer to the real person. Even when I agree with what he's arguing I can find it hard to be on his side. Maybe I need to hear more.

It may well be coloured by my limited personal experience and a lot of second-hand experience with the man where he's come off as a bit of a cock, so I don't really watch him "out-of-character".  Someone like Limmy can pull off the comedy arsehole act a lot better because he's otherwise quite affable, whereas Tim comes off a bit sneery and/or pompous with his alt-comedy mates in the background to nod in approval.  AchIdunno.

If someone's a fan, is there a specific episode or "bit" you'd recommend?  I have liked some of Tim's work, especially On Cinema, so I'm pretty open to having my mind changed.

The format of the show may not be ideal for recommending highlights, because like an old terrestrial radio show a lot of the (admittedly dumb/random) humour comes in unexpected bursts amidst hours of more mundane talk.

For example, this had me crying with laughter an hour and a half into the show last week, but it may not be as funny when isolated out of context: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2zmlISpfMA