Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:58:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Office Hours *Live* with Tim Heidecker (and Vic Berger and DJ Douggpound)

Started by Pearly-Dewdrops Drops, March 24, 2019, 10:00:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I didn't want to bump the On Cinema thread for this, but are there any other fans of Tim's weekly podcast/YouTube show?

The dumb and increasingly cacophonous drops from Vic/Doug are a delight.

PlanktonSideburns

Noodle Lizard

Does anyone else find Tim extremely unlikeable on these?  Just kind of smug and unwelcoming.  Maybe I saw some bad ones back in the day when he was doing them on Facebook, but I found it almost unwatchable.  Doesn't help that I don't like DJ Dougg Pound, I suppose.

PlanktonSideburns

Yea I find his asshole presenter bit a bit dull on this - telling callers they're boring, shouting at his totally incompetent tech guys. He's doing half an on cinema caracter here almost

I've only been watching for a few months, but as PlanktonSideburns suggested I think he slips in and in out of a character at times. I wouldn't say he ever goes full "asshole presenter" though.

Anyway, it works because the show is at it's best when he is the quasi-straightman getting (often genuinely) annoyed by the incessant drops. A bit like how the Ricky Gervais XFM show is one of the greatest things ever even if you don't like the host (Ricky Gervais) who is talking 80% of the time.

Such as Vic's incredibly dumb MJ drops: https://youtu.be/O1M5-TUJRz0?t=2783

colacentral

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on March 24, 2019, 11:14:13 PM
Does anyone else find Tim extremely unlikeable on these?  Just kind of smug and unwelcoming.  Maybe I saw some bad ones back in the day when he was doing them on Facebook, but I found it almost unwatchable.  Doesn't help that I don't like DJ Dougg Pound, I suppose.

Yeah. Only seen / heard a bit of it to be fair but I feel like he's trying and failing to channel Tom Scharpling's sometimes grumpy persona. Tom is a master at it, and always sounds warm and inviting even when he loses his rag. Tim on the other hand can sound snobby and cruel, which works for the Tim character of On Cinema but not so much the one we're meant to take as closer to the real person. Even when I agree with what he's arguing I can find it hard to be on his side. Maybe I need to hear more.

Noodle Lizard

It may well be coloured by my limited personal experience and a lot of second-hand experience with the man where he's come off as a bit of a cock, so I don't really watch him "out-of-character".  Someone like Limmy can pull off the comedy arsehole act a lot better because he's otherwise quite affable, whereas Tim comes off a bit sneery and/or pompous with his alt-comedy mates in the background to nod in approval.  AchIdunno.

If someone's a fan, is there a specific episode or "bit" you'd recommend?  I have liked some of Tim's work, especially On Cinema, so I'm pretty open to having my mind changed.

The format of the show may not be ideal for recommending highlights, because like an old terrestrial radio show a lot of the (admittedly dumb/random) humour comes in unexpected bursts amidst hours of more mundane talk.

For example, this had me crying with laughter an hour and a half into the show last week, but it may not be as funny when isolated out of context: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2zmlISpfMA

I think I'm the only one who listens to this show, but bumping the thread for a great episode this week (feat. John C. Reilly): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oa0guN0Hs0

QDRPHNC

I love OC, think Tim Heidecker and Vic Berger are great, but struggle with this. I think Tim is too close to the camera.

jake thunder

I listen to this. It might be my favourite thing Heidecker does: the drops, the rants, the technical problems, John C Reilly, "Eric Wareheim is a p...", my boys Vic and Doug, "that's a great fuckin record!", "God bless the USAAAAA".

Quote from: jake thunder on January 25, 2020, 09:16:34 PM
I listen to this. It might be my favourite thing Heidecker does: the drops, the rants, the technical problems, John C Reilly, "Eric Wareheim is a p...", my boys Vic and Doug, "that's a great fuckin record!", "God bless the USAAAAA".

John C. Reilly being drowned out by a cacophony of Steven Tyler accapella drops is peak comedy.

Ornlu

QDRPHNC

Retinend

Good morning!

I'm a recent convert to Office Hours and even joined the Patreon (mainly for the Beatles podcasts, "Please Please Let It Be", which didn't disappoint (PM system exists FYI)). I think Tim is very charismatic and deals with callers with a hard enough hand to be funny, and loves to tease people about their accents, but is never nasty. Even when he had Million Dollar Extreme  trolls calling into him all the way through 2016-2017 and on twitter, he was never rude to them when they called. What's more, he's a very knowledgeable guy. As mentioned, he has a lot of the same singer-songer heroes in common: Randy Newman, The Beatles, Harry Nilsson and so on. He also introduced me to Weyes Blood's Titanic Rising, which has a lot of fans on here. He has also revealed that not only is he aware of The Day Today and Brass Eye but that they were important influences on Awesome Show that he and Eric discussed regularly when they talked about the vibe they were going after. I like listening to the earliest shows (especially because I think they've been deleted off FB since I downloaded them) where it's just him, a skype account and a flimsy phone microphone.

Quote from: trabuch on June 15, 2020, 11:19:53 PM
Mark Proksch never fails to release my adrenachromes..

Are we sure it's him? The voice is so similar.. but it was so funny because I believed it was real and they seemed to be genuinely at a loss for words.

According to this comprehensive Atlantic article, published last week, they believe a lot of weird stuff.

The Atlantic: The Prophecies of Q

QDRPHNC

It was definitely Mark Proksch. He sounded exactly like Mark Proksch and was called Mark.

Retinend

oh I'm dumb - it says Mark Proksch right there in the description.

Now I listen again it's brilliant because he doesn't overplay it at all (then again, it is not an easy movement to parody/exaggerate).

spaghetamine

Never used to enjoy this much but the addition of Vic and Doug has made it pop, three of my best boys all in one room! Love it

Puce Moment

Yes - it seems some people aren't that keen on Doug but he was great when he supported Tim & Eric on Tour (or at least when I saw them live) and I really like his shitty little stings. It's basically the photo stings on the Oscar specials in aural form!

spaghetamine

Quote from: Puce Moment on June 17, 2020, 01:19:58 PM
Yes - it seems some people aren't that keen on Doug but he was great when he supported Tim & Eric on Tour (or at least when I saw them live) and I really like his shitty little stings. It's basically the photo stings on the Oscar specials in aural form!

I've always been vocally pro-Doug, I think a lot of people don't realize how much of a key role he played in cultivating the T&E aesthetic, Awesome Show would have been very different without his input. Pound House and The 2 Wet Crew stuff seems to get a very mixed response but I think he's got a knack for creating a genuinely unsettling surreal atmosphere.  Plus, his Poundcast was one of the first podcasts that I ever got properly into and it really helped me through a year of working an incredibly tedious job so for that alone I'll always have time for the man.

PlanktonSideburns

Yea doug is the sweetheart of the crew, stops it from all being too nhililist I recon.

Some of the early 2wet crew stuff had some real moments of lynchian unease also, like this

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CBgAhSBlU7K/?igshid=et2rg5mn18id

Retinend

I was thinking about Doug's contribution to Awesome Show.

The show had loads of bits that seemed to exist merely because they were deliberate challenges for Doug to edit issuing from the duo.

You can imagine Tim or Eric hanging out with him and saying "can you zoom into his nose and have a little man come out? ...that's great, what's he called? Chippy! There's my chippy!" and it all gets woven into the show naturally. "Can you have me spray milk from my nipple into Eric's mouth"? And so on.

Tim often says how they were racing against time to make the show, so were always looking to come up with ideas and execute them as quick as possible. One can imagine that without an editor/musician on their wavelength like Doug, the show would have been a lot less psychedelic. He was like the George Martin to their Lennon/McCartney.

Naturally, Vic is also a distinctive editor. Has he actually collaborated with Tim as an editor before?

Puce Moment

Well, there we are. I thought Doug was just a friend of Tim who does his silly sounds on things. I'm not sure why I didn't know he was involved in such a production orientated role.