Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 03:07:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Office Hours *Live* with Tim Heidecker (and Vic Berger and DJ Douggpound)

Started by Pearly-Dewdrops Drops, March 24, 2019, 10:00:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mobius

Yeah I really enjoyed it but felt it ended a bit abruptly and the songs weren't very good, but loved the rest and would've liked more.

Love this show so much. Extreme closeup of Vic's cookie monster mouth while Tim rages about the "pedi-file" advert. Amazing.

QDRPHNC

Has anyone watched Vic's latest Trump video? Work of art, feels like the culmination of everything he's been doing in that department the last 4 years.

Retinend

Am currently watching it myself. An inspirational comedic work of pure editing!

Retinend

For those who haven't checked the new CC threads recently, I made a 100 minute film dealing with Tim's battles with the alt right on Office Hours in 2016 (it's sort of an Office Hours "origins story" in that regard, but also a love letter to On Cinema).

TRAILER: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jPy4suQN3o
FULL FILM: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQv5pB1DkcU
THREAD: https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,83396.0.html

Retinend

Fun election coverage - I almost like that it wasn't forced to be a celebration or a commiseration-fest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FhZB_y6lB4

at 3:42:00 a very good cover version of one of Tim's 2017 anti-Trump songs
at hour 3:17:40-ish, there are some insightful thoughts on "anti liberal" Trumpism (Sargon of Akkad type people) from David Wiegel (seen his face before - what is his deal exactly?)
from 2:05:00, just a small moment, but Tim seems kind of bummed out that he's not recently had "the muse" for his political engagement as in 2016/17 (see my film, "I AM A CUCK", for more details)

It's very dumb, but Uncle Phil's call from the election night special caused a rare genuine spit take on my part: https://youtu.be/7FhZB_y6lB4?t=16495

Retinend

Dusty Substance

Are there any specific episodes of Office Hours that would be a good place to start?

I've only listened to two or three full episodes (Weyes Blood, Limmy and maybe another one) and caught a few highlight clips but not much more. I was intrigued to see Office Hours being compared to The Best Show on the Scharpling & Wurster thread.

colacentral

Quote from: Dusty Substance on December 04, 2020, 05:07:29 PM
Are there any specific episodes of Office Hours that would be a good place to start?

I've only listened to two or three full episodes (Weyes Blood, Limmy and maybe another one) and caught a few highlight clips but not much more. I was intrigued to see Office Hours being compared to The Best Show on the Scharpling & Wurster thread.

I made a post comparing the two in the Best Show thread, and as I said there, I dipped in and out of Office Hours when it first started, and certain things about it grated on me, but recently I started watching them again, starting with episodes from the end of 2019 and watching each episode in order from there, and I've got hooked on it.

The 8 hour episode might be a good place to start:

https://youtu.be/oMo2afi7BGY

Some really silly moments and a good range of guests.

Quote from: Dusty Substance on December 04, 2020, 05:07:29 PM

Trying to think of a specific episode. The show definitely entered a new and better era right around the start of the pandemic (with new producer Matt and higher production values/a proper studio), so really any show since about March is going to be good. Watching along live with the comment stream also adds to the experience.

Off the top of my head, two classic episodes are:

Office Hours Halloween Special (October 29)

Vic Berger's Berthday Bash (August 6)

Dusty Substance

McFlymo

Quote from: Retinend on November 02, 2020, 07:00:28 AM
For those who haven't checked the new CC threads recently, I made a 100 minute film dealing with Tim's battles with the alt right on Office Hours in 2016 (it's sort of an Office Hours "origins story" in that regard, but also a love letter to On Cinema).

TRAILER: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jPy4suQN3o
FULL FILM: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQv5pB1DkcU
THREAD: https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,83396.0.html

Hey, noticed the thread for this is locked, so just wanted to throw my initial post-viewing thoughts in here (sorry for the thread tangent).

Finally watched this! A very enjoyable, thrilling ride through the madness of that whole debacle. Sam Hyde came across like a genuine villain, (although I think we got to see some sense of his humanity towards the end). Mostly this felt like a great warning to how radicalising the internet can be and how social media can be like crack for ideologies and tribalism and it gave me much appreciated context for that dramatic confrontation between Sam and Tim.

The whole thing was put together well, given that I presume there was zero budget and you were relying only on clips and audio you could grab online.

To me, Sam's accusation that Tim got him cancelled does hold some water, to the extent that Tim's retweet and exposing of the extreme elements on social media would have scared a lot of people (perhaps in places of influence in the media world) and made them run a mile from the likes of Sam Hyde and co, but if I'd blame anyone for the whole mess, it would be Adult Swim for giving that guy a show. Adult Swim's attempt to be edgy and relevant landed them in the situation where they were platforming a genuinely awful guy. Hopefully lessons were learnt, but do we think there's any chance of, seemingly unhinged Sam Hyde learning anything from the experience?

I have a slither of hope that he'll grow out of this shit, as a lot of his nastiness seems to be about self-flagellation in some senses: A need to feel rage and disgust from other people in order to feel whole or something.
Odd guy. I hope he gets the help he needs.
And then stops saying really fucked up things about minorities and stuff.
And then fucks off and takes all his alt-right fuck heads with him.

Retinend

Since the dedicated thread is locked, I hope no one minds me deepening the tangent here.

Quote from: McFlymo on December 07, 2020, 11:31:58 PMSam Hyde came across like a genuine villain, (although I think we got to see some sense of his humanity towards the end).

His humanity is definitely there to be seen. Sadly though, the truth is that he has doubled down on his alt right beliefs many many times since then and his recent work (google "Sam Hyde Frank Hassle" or YT search "Sam Hyde New Pill" if you want) has been absolutely baffling: hatred of liberals has been its only consistent thread.

QuoteMostly this felt like a great warning to how radicalising the internet can be and how social media can be like crack for ideologies and tribalism

Thanks!

QuoteTo me, Sam's accusation that Tim got him cancelled does hold some water, to the extent that Tim's retweet and exposing of the extreme elements on social media would have scared a lot of people (perhaps in places of influence in the media world) and made them run a mile from the likes of Sam Hyde and co, but if I'd blame anyone for the whole mess, it would be Adult Swim for giving that guy a show. Adult Swim's attempt to be edgy and relevant landed them in the situation where they were platforming a genuinely awful guy. Hopefully lessons were learnt, but do we think there's any chance of, seemingly unhinged Sam Hyde learning anything from the experience?

Yeah in the end Tim really was the catalyst for the show's demise: Tim trolled the trolls and exposed them. Well, they exposed themselves by willing to be exposed: they felt invincible.

QuoteI have a slither of hope that he'll grow out of this shit, as a lot of his nastiness seems to be about self-flagellation in some senses: A need to feel rage and disgust from other people in order to feel whole or something.
Odd guy. I hope he gets the help he needs.
And then stops saying really fucked up things about minorities and stuff.
And then fucks off and takes all his alt-right fuck heads with him.

Some other viewers have expressed similarly christian sentiments towards Hyde after seeing his state by the end of the film. I agree in principle, but I want to stress that he has shown no attempts to make redresses so far. I gave a couple of examples of his bad behaviour in the closed thread ... but which I won't repeat here again lest I be accused of "campaigning to get him shut down" myself (the fans of MDE have been surprisingly welcoming of the film so far, but not all MDE fans are nice people).

Ornlu

I just love this show so much. So many different things about it make me laugh. All the drops. Even the stupid *CHOMP* they play whenever anyone tangentially refers to eating. Especially that one.

Ornlu

Looks like shortly after Vish Khanna's unprompted appearance on Office Hours, Doug and Vic showed up on an episode of Kreative Kontrol (various links: https://twitter.com/VishKreative/status/1338882401506758656)

This was fascinating, I thought. Aside from threading the two lads' creative histories with Tim "I Have So Many Great Ideas" Heidecker, it goes in deep on Drops, their genesis and the process behind them, the recent Drop Concert, and its suggested parallels to noise music and sound collage art. Apparently the term 'drop' was coined by Neal Brennan! That's all I'll say though. Check it out.

Quote from: Ornlu on December 10, 2020, 07:08:28 PM
I just love this show so much. So many different things about it make me laugh. All the drops. Even the stupid *CHOMP* they play whenever anyone tangentially refers to eating. Especially that one.
Mine is the 'ohhhh we have a protester' Trump one. By itself its hilarious just the way Trump says it but added to that they play it at any sort of disagreement with Tim kills me

Oh boy... bit of a blunder by Phil Braun on the C-Word Special. Talk about a mix up.

Who is the British Communist who asked Tim about whether he has met Chris Morris at the end of this week's episode? Identify yourself.

Ornlu

Quote from: StewartLeehaslethimselfgo on December 17, 2020, 07:57:46 PM
Mine is the 'ohhhh we have a protester' Trump one. By itself its hilarious just the way Trump says it but added to that they play it at any sort of disagreement with Tim kills me

Yes! Overall the best ones are those that conjure a particular mood or message, rather than just being lolrandom. (though those can still be hilarious.) Like in the Kreative Kontrol episode, they go into detail about the soap opera-like music sting that's played whenever Tim 'gets on his high horse' or recounts some insignificant drama or beef. It's absolute gold.

McFlymo

The Alex Jones "Or, or, or, or, or" got me every time (although haven't heard it recently).

McFlymo

Quote from: Retinend on December 08, 2020, 01:06:50 PM
Some other viewers have expressed similarly christian sentiments towards Hyde after seeing his state by the end of the film. I agree in principle, but I want to stress that he has shown no attempts to make redresses so far. I gave a couple of examples of his bad behaviour in the closed thread ... but which I won't repeat here again lest I be accused of "campaigning to get him shut down" myself (the fans of MDE have been surprisingly welcoming of the film so far, but not all MDE fans are nice people).

I suppose it's the human need to try to find some good in people / that struggle with accepting that someone can be so devoid of empathy or humanity, but I guess I just have to accept that Sam Hyde really is an utter piece of shit then.

McFlymo

bit "lol random" but does anyone else find the "ABSO-LUTELY" sting at the end of Nathan For You / Office Hours etc... to be quite intimidating and unsettling? Like the guy saying it is just about to smash someone's face in? It just conjures up this whole story in my mind, that the guy has been on some mad coke / alcohol binge and has trashed his own house and has now realised that someone is filming the mess to mock him and he's just about to snap.

ajsmith2

It's Tim's Dad in a family home video from 1991. Dunno if this info will make it less or more sinister to you.

McFlymo

Quote from: ajsmith2 on January 04, 2021, 02:02:51 AM
It's Tim's Dad in a family home video from 1991. Dunno if this info will make it less or more sinister to you.

That rings a bell, actually. Maybe I had heard that before.
And now it seems like it's Tim's dad about to smash someone's face in (possibly Tim's?) .. hmmm

weaseldust

i think the story behind it is that they were on holiday and tim asked his dad to sum up the trip in two words

kilgore

This was mentioned on an episode I heard recently. weaseldust has it right, but also Old Man Heidecker is pissed off because Tim was annoying the hell out of his family with his new video camera.