Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:48:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Office Hours *Live* with Tim Heidecker (and Vic Berger and DJ Douggpound)

Started by Pearly-Dewdrops Drops, March 24, 2019, 10:00:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bazooka

He worked on Nite Live with them, starring and production/editing which ran the same year as the first series of Awesome Show, think he edited some Eric Andre too.

Retinend

Retinend

live now

edit: this really is worlds colliding - the accents alone - it's freaky atm
Tim compliments Limmys' background decor - it is nice isn't it?
Limmy confirms my memory that it was specifically S2 and beyond that was T&E influenced
Tim doesn't seem to have seen anything of Limmy's Show so he doesn't pursue that
both seem bemused by how much we want them to "get together" - Tim remarks how it feels like a first date
Limmy is a fan of Vic!
...Tim brought up UK/Scottish politics and seems to be regretting it now...
This is a bit of a mismatch personality-wise - Tim is too "LA" for Brian and he doesn't seem to enjoy the raucous atmosphere
doing British/American accents now - thank you Vic for getting us off "hey why are you on twitch?"
that seems to have broken the ice a little
Limmy on statues: "take everything doon" except for the traffic cone head statue in Glasgow
Tim criticises Cleese on statutes and Limmy agrees
Limmy makes a good point about Morrisey and Marr that reminds me of how CaB always said that Merchant was everything and Gervais was nothing re the Office
they are one year apart
and that's it!

Puce Moment

Had to turn the chat off - basically the same or similar to the Twitch stream, but with his servants unable to mute people.

Retinend

Noodle Lizard

Limmy came off well. Couldn't stand anything going on on the left side.

druss

It was as good as you could expect from a first time meeting over internet video. It was fine.

Purple Toupee

Playing The Proclaimers ten seconds into the interview, oh dear. Nice to hear Tim and Limmy together though.

Old Nehamkin

I found that likeable enough, but Heidecker didn't seem like he was massively well-versed in Limmy's comedy and his questions were all pretty surface level. I wish Vic Berger and DJ Douggpound had been a bigger part of the conversation as it seemed like they were both at least moderately familiar with Limmy (and vice versa) and I would have been interested to hear the whole group have a more involved, podcast-style talk about comedy. Still, it was fun just to see Tim and Limmy interact - for my money they're two of the most naturally funny performers of their generation and this intersection marks a curious little footnote in comedy history if nothing else.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aa0nQY02vnI

I'm ten minutes in, and it isn't that awkward so far. Those fucking bagpipe and Proclaimers 'drops', though. Jesus Christ. Limmy handled it well, but you can tell he was just being polite.

EDIT: Aye, that was fine, but Limmy did all the work. There was a bit of rapport there, but it was mainly Limmy being funny and Tim laughing. Those twats messing around in the background, though; what is the point of them?

It's a running Office Hours gag for them to play hacky geographical drops. Any caller from outside LA or NYC usually gets dueling banjos or the "Thank God I'm a country boy!" drop.

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on June 17, 2020, 10:50:47 PM
Those twats messing around in the background, though; what is the point of them?

That's the entertaining part of the show.

Mango Chimes

This is fucking rubbish shit. Is the joke that it's fucking rubbish but done on purpose? Is it one of those things? It's like an annoying and boring radio show, just exactly that, but we're all clever for knowing it's not real?

Quote from: Mango Chimes on June 17, 2020, 11:59:38 PM
This is fucking rubbish shit. Is the joke that it's fucking rubbish but done on purpose? Is it one of those things? It's like an annoying and boring radio show, just exactly that, but we're all clever for knowing it's not real?

No, basically the concept is that it's funny.

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on June 17, 2020, 11:47:46 PM
It's a running Office Hours gag for them to play hacky geographical drops. Any caller from outside LA or NYC usually gets dueling banjos or the "Thank God I'm a country boy!" drop.

Fair enough.

spaghetamine

I thought it was a little anti-climatic but still good fun, had it on in the background really

I did feel like a confused old man in a meme wind tunnel trying to listen to this in this past. I'll give the Limmy bit a go.

Ian Benson

Quote from: Bazooka on June 17, 2020, 06:21:31 PM
He worked on Nite Live with them, starring and production/editing which ran the same year as the first series of Awesome Show, think he edited some Eric Andre too.

Think it was on at the same time as the second season. Could be wrong on this.

Thought Limmy's appearance was fine, much like any other time they've had guests on really, as in just a bit of a knock about, nothing too in-depth, and so on. Felt a bit anxious in the run-up weirdly, like when you introduce one really good mate to another really good mate, where you hope they get on.

Quote from: Mango Chimes on June 17, 2020, 11:59:38 PM

No, I don't think so. I think honestly that it's just a fun side-project for them. There's obviously not really a great deal of effort and preparation that goes into it, and Tim's never going to be Marc Maron say. It's pretty ramshackle. It's three people fucking around for a couple of hours, and if you're on their wavelength or thereabouts then that's great.

Ian Benson

Quote from: Retinend on June 17, 2020, 02:26:35 PM
Naturally, Vic is also a distinctive editor. Has he actually collaborated with Tim as an editor before?

He's done some bits for the Oscars specials. Off the top of my head I think he did a couple of Peter Jackson things and the clips montage for when Joe Estevez won his lifetime achievement award.

Mango Chimes

Quote from: Ian Benson on June 18, 2020, 12:22:27 AMNo, I don't think so. I think honestly that it's just a fun side-project for them. There's obviously not really a great deal of effort and preparation that goes into it, and Tim's never going to be Marc Maron say. It's pretty ramshackle. It's three people fucking around for a couple of hours, and if you're on their wavelength or thereabouts then that's great.

Fair enough. I made a mistake in clicking the link and assuming Limmy was on soon, and instead sat through 25 minutes of a bad American radio show with a fake advert, those annoying as fuck "drops" every few seconds, and five minutes of reminiscing about an old meme.

The Limmy bit was fine, just a slightly bland chat with delays where the Americans took a moment to realise what he'd said.

Quote from: Mango Chimes on June 18, 2020, 12:52:44 AM
Fair enough. I made a mistake in clicking the link and assuming Limmy was on soon, and instead sat through 25 minutes of a bad American radio show with a fake advert, those annoying as fuck "drops" every few seconds, and five minutes of reminiscing about an old meme.

The Limmy bit was fine, just a slightly bland chat with delays where the Americans took a moment to realise what he'd said.

Something tells me you wouldn't like one of the many episodes in which Tim spends 45+ minutes doing his horrible English accent character (basically Del from Wayne's World 2), which he seems unironically proud of.

"Once in a lifetime, 25 years, sorry, once in a generation."

(Pulls one of his trademark Limmy faces, switches to the zoomed in camera) Same thing in Scotland, pal, you know what I mean? Thanks for the sub, bampot89"

It was lovely seeing them together. I liked it. Limmy is such a sweetie-pie, effortless social mask juggling. He always comes across really well. Hard to believe that his heart rate was up past 40.

spaghetamine

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on June 18, 2020, 12:58:28 AM
Something tells me you wouldn't like one of the many episodes in which Tim spends 45+ minutes doing his horrible English accent character (basically Del from Wayne's World 2), which he seems unironically proud of.

something about americans doing poor quality british accents is incredibly amusing to me so Rock n Roll Gary was always guaranteed to make me laugh.

up_the_hampipe

I hope Tim never finds that vicious rant Limmy did on his webcam a few years ago, where he moaned about how shite Tim & Eric became, how Tim lets down On Cinema and how the JASH lot are a bunch of cunts.

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on June 18, 2020, 02:28:08 AM
I hope Tim never finds that vicious rant Limmy did on his webcam a few years ago, where he moaned about how shite Tim & Eric became, how Tim lets down On Cinema and how the JASH lot are a bunch of cunts.

Link?

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on June 18, 2020, 02:48:14 AM
Link?

Starts at about 29 mins here https://youtu.be/Y3ipMEiZnaI

It goes on for quite a while with a few tangents, gets a lot angrier as it progresses to JASH.

I think it's a fair comment, but I think Greg Turkingtons character is such a strong, stable base, Tim can get away with swinging around that pillar wildly with his trousers down at times. I personally think it works great, maybe it's why it works for me, one of them is such a solid foundation and the other constantly threatens to yank the roots through the concrete.

I can totally see how it would be jarring, like some broad 70s character in a modern naturalistic laughter track free sitcom, but I think that's why it works so well.
I don't think those little character breaks from Tim are self conscious, smug, knowing looks to camera, I think he genuinely can't help it and I find it endearing and it brings me in as a viewer.
If it was 100% dry and played utterly straight, it might not have the same appeal.

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on June 18, 2020, 02:56:45 AM
Starts at about 29 mins here https://youtu.be/Y3ipMEiZnaI

It goes on for quite a while with a few tangents, gets a lot angrier as it progresses to JASH.

Ta.