Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:18:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Office Hours *Live* with Tim Heidecker (and Vic Berger and DJ Douggpound)

Started by Pearly-Dewdrops Drops, March 24, 2019, 10:00:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Retinend

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on June 18, 2020, 01:06:03 AMHard to believe that his heart rate was up past 40.

Funny you should say this, flicking over his twitter feed from yesterday I saw this:

Petey Pate

Quote from: Ian Benson on June 18, 2020, 12:48:10 AM
He's done some bits for the Oscars specials. Off the top of my head I think he did a couple of Peter Jackson things and the clips montage for when Joe Estevez won his lifetime achievement award.

Vic Berger's fame is entirely down to him making On Cinema fan videos (like this one) and Tim liking them enough to hire him as a editor for the actual show, despite Vic having no professional editing experience.

Puce Moment

I'm a little surprised by the reaction of the format of this show, and Pearly has explained it well. To me, it is just an exaggeration of the Nick Kroll character in Parks and Rec. A shitty morning DJ host with some poor, bored guy randomly clicking audio stings at various times. It's not the most demanding or experimental thing Tim has done, and in the Limmy interview he is pretty much being himself, I think. Maybe that's the part that confuses people.

Ian Benson

Quote from: Petey Pate on June 18, 2020, 11:20:10 AM
Vic Berger's fame is entirely down to him making On Cinema fan videos (like this one) and Tim liking them enough to hire him as a editor for the actual show, despite Vic having no professional editing experience.

The question was about actual editing collabs so I don't think presumably unsolicited fan videos would count. Also I'm pretty sure he wasn't hired as an editor for the actual show (if you're talking about On Cinema). Like I said he's done some segments for the specials. Further to my previous examples, he did the 40th anniversary of Jaws 2 montage.

Petey Pate

Quote from: Ian Benson on June 18, 2020, 01:30:57 PM
The question was about actual editing collabs so I don't think presumably unsolicited fan videos would count. Also I'm pretty sure he wasn't hired as an editor for the actual show (if you're talking about On Cinema). Like I said he's done some segments for the specials. Further to my previous examples, he did the 40th anniversary of Jaws 2 montage.

Yes you're right, he's never worked as an editor on the actual show. I do recall Tim saying that he basically plucked him from YouTube obscurity to (relative) internet stardom. They did collaborate on the Super Deluxe specials at the Republican and Democrat Conventions for the 2016 elections.

Petey Pate

I should have picked my words more carefully. I meant to sat that his On Cinema fan videos were the catalyst for everything else, and what got him noticed by Tim in the first place.

Bergers edits of the Republican debates in the 2016 election were the best thing to come out of that clown show.

Retinend

Amusingly, they are turning the annoyingness of the drops into a feature, with a vote to ban the worst offenders:

As a tithe-paying Patreon grandee, I have the right to a vote, if anyone has any drops they want to hear dropped.

Ornlu

I don't think I've heard a single one I didn't enjoy. As a lot of people in the thread are saying, the police siren is a bit jarringly loud.

IMO probably "MMMM, THAT SMELL"

Retinend

Latest episode: Vic's annoying siren got dropped (appropriate, given the Zeitgeist!)

also I'm totally in love with his first guest, who I hadn't heard of before, standup Megan Koester. She was absolutely hilarious; dominated the whole show and even had Tim trailing after her with her infectious energy. Weirdly, I went to follow her on Twitter and I was already following her. That's how good she is, I guess. Paradoxically, she talked about being depressed and awake only 5 hours a day (clearly only half joking).

During that conversation (from 42:10*)  Tim lays into the Joe Rogan circle a little bit: their seriousness about their "chunks" and "bits", and the challenges of weaving them into the almighty "hour set". With Koester's interjections, it had my crying laughing even before I had my first coffee. I hope she's a regular.

Will dig out the "After Hours" bit he mentions...

edit: Koester not "Koestler" sorry

PlanktonSideburns

Yea I've only just found out about koestler and her mad, furious energy, she's amazing. Will check this one out

Retinend

PlanktonSideburns

ive not, will get it down me tommoro - something about her arsed mate fury has really clicked with me

Retinend

Woo! There's a new episode of the Beatles podcast, "Please Please Me" with the On Cinema director Eric Notarnicole on Patreon. They have done all the Beatles albums and now are doing the solo years: first episode is... Ringo! Just in time for his 80th birthday.

Retinend

First guest this week, "KW Miller" continues the QAnon theme of the show:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Njqmv30hUCA&t=24m

They've got twitter beef. Anyone been following their interactions?

bushwick

Yeah, can't work this KW Miller thing out at all. Lots of folk seem to think it's Tim doing an elaborate bit somehow. Or it's Mark Prosch in prosthetics. Is he real or what? Or is it a spoof and a goof? Twitter account started in February

McChesney Duntz

Tim on his Office Hours Patreon yesterday:

"Shhhh...
KW is real... but I'm pretending he's a bit on twitter. let's see what KW does next!"

(What he did next was, apparently, block Tim.)

Ibid., about an hour ago:

"...And I've seen some grumbling: Why would you give a creep like that a platform???  / I hear you but I disagree. First, I think there's a big difference between the KW appearance and, oh I dunno, let's say: Joe Rogan having Ben Shapiro on for 2 plus hours, uncontested...  The purpose of having KW on was not to have a fair exchange of ideas... it was to scold him, goof on him and treat him and the movement he follows (trust me, he follows) like the clown show he/it is. HAVE PUPPETS ASK HIM THE TOUGH QUESTIONS...  The other effect it has is: you lovely people pile on and, sure I guess you could say he's getting more attention, but if you look at his replies its filled with goofs and gags and general time wasting. He's getting clogged up with nonsense, folks!  I don't know if that's the kind of attention that could every be considered valuable.  Matt and I were laughing about having a semi regular segment called Qooks Qorner, having these nutballs on and having our puppets talk to them.  I'm just fascinated to get into their brains a bit and figure out what the hell is going on! And I really don't think it's promoting them in any positive way, especially considering the relative size of our show (still a backwater folks, what can ya do??)  We'll see if we can rope another one in...."

So, I guess he's real, if fucking nuts. Which surprises me not one whit. This whole fucking country has lost its collective mind.

Ornlu

I hope they get his "I dunno man, you tell me!" as one of the drops or somesuch

McFlymo

Thought the way they mocked and tore KW Miller to pieces was fucking brilliant and hilarious. I'd love Qooks Qorner!

Incidentally, I first heard about Qannon on Some More News (which didn't seem to get much approval from y'all) but seems to be a good source for exposing and debunking horrifying shite like this!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJgX20S0Zdg&t=538s

Retinend

Episode 2 of season 2 of Please Please Let it Be is out and covers the entirety of George Harrison's solo career in some 70 minutes. ∃the PM system

Retinend

Heidecker is pretending to be KW Miller on Twitter and has appeared on this Qanon-examining podcast (episode 100): https://soundcloud.com/qanonanonymous

Retinend

Episode 3 - Paul McCartney Solo Years is out with guest Fred Armisen.

QuoteAn A-list ex-Beatle calls for an A-list special guest on the pod, so Tim and Eric N. invited the great Fred Armisen back to dive into the extensive discography of Paul McCartney. Enjoy the ride!

The Solo Years is a limited series podcast from Tim Heidecker and Eric Notarnicola (Mister America, On Cinema, Nathan For You) exploring the post-Beatles solo albums of Ringo, George, Paul and John. Only available for Office Hours Live patreon subscribers.

Retinend

I feel like no one cares now, but it seems Tim has been attacked by QAnon influencers.

They are flagging up potentially Pizzagatey things about this sketch: Child Clown Outlet https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAU_Ez84l4c

and yesterday he quite earnestly tried to speak directly to the brainwashed QAnon masses, in passing explaining the sketch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uk8Jo0ywXY&t=20m05s

I think this is all perfect for on Cinema - fictional Tim has already been going down the Alex Jones route and if he is brave he could use all this (not to mention his spats with the alt right previously) for his comedy and add yet another intersection with reality to the OCEU.

Famous Mortimer

He had a really interesting interview with Robbie Martin's sister Abby a while back - they do the "Media Roots Radio" podcast which has some interesting stuff about QAnon in it.

Retinend

That's the brother of Abby Martin? Didn't know that. The interview in question: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAfW1Fd-x2A

I seem to remember thinking she was a bit of a useful idiot for Russian's state philosophy of promoting dissent in the western world (after Aleksandr Dugin), but I was impressed that she quit her job at Russia Today over the invasion of the Ukraine: https://www.newsweek.com/abby-martin-becomes-viral-voice-dissent-kremlins-rt-230969

Aside from that entirely, I have a problem with this previously mentioned "QAnon Anonymous" podcast. They have some good interviews and are good at going deep into the accounts of certain individuals (those they called the "pilled")... but the hosts are arseholes. I have hopes that this Media Roots podcast can replace it for my QAnon needs.

Petey Pate